Notify
Tools

Stock Paint?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted
For those of you who have painted plastic stocks, what paint
have you used that stayed on with little or no chipping?

Duracoat would be nice, but I have no equipment to use it, and
have only one cheapy stock that I want to paint.

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Krylon Fusion. Their camo colors are also Fusion.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I have painted my stock about 3 times over the last 25 years. Last time I used Rustoleum textured paint. Gives a nice non-slip finish and seems to be fairly durable. Ask me again in 5 years. old

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Link to my ADL stock painting project

What I found was that the paint still scratches a wears off but with the black plastic underneath I can hardly tell without looking hard.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Krylon Fusion Camo colors....

Posts: 1679 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Recoil Rob:
Krylon Fusion Camo colors....

ditto

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38532 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I will have to try the Fusion

Haven't done one in several years but used an epoxy spray paint.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tan Krylon camo, Krylon webbing, matt clear coat:

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. Those are some very nicely
painted stocks!! Recoil Rob, you are a true
artist. What did you use for templates?

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Piece of cake Danno, I started by spraying the stocks with a base coat of dark green. Then I walked around the yard and picked some leaves and grasses to use as stencils and lay on the stock. I spread them far apart and I gave a shot of tan paint, then laid more leaves and grasses on the tan and gave a shot of brown. Took about 30 minutes to do both stocks together.

Posts: 1679 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Recoil Rob:
Piece of cake Danno, I started by spraying the stocks with a base coat of dark green. Then I walked around the yard and picked some leaves and grasses to use as stencils and lay on the stock. I spread them far apart and I gave a shot of tan paint, then laid more leaves and grasses on the tan and gave a shot of brown. Took about 30 minutes to do both stocks together.

Rob

I remember when you posted about that pair of rifles a couple of years ago. As I recall you built one for yourself and the other was for a friend in hope that he would get back into hunting.

I have always wondered how that worked out. Did he start hunting again?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jason,

Nice of you to ask. We did take the gun hunting a couple of years ago in NH but nothing since. The economic downturn hit him pretty hard (though he still manages to play golf a little too much for my comfort) but he seems to be doing better and he keeps threatening to go out west with me but realistically I think we will get to do some more hunting here in the east before that happens.

I did what I could but I think it's time to start threatening repossession if he doesn't hit the woods more often... Big Grin ...He helped me through some bad times so I owed him, hopefully he'll realize we're not getting younger and make a commitment.