Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-64 Trigger issue
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
Having an issue with a fail to fire on a 1955 Model 70. Or, what do you get when you mix a 14-year-old and a pre-64 Model 70.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
More info required.
Does the trigger work, does it release the firing pin?
Does the primer show impacts?
BB

Posts: 398 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigbull:
More info required.
Does the trigger work, does it release the firing pin?
Does the primer show impacts?
BB

The issue is that the trigger broke at the notch.

It's my brother's rifle, he was letting his son shoot it and had the fail to fire. He took it apart to clean and check it and found the broken trigger. The gun was always stored un-cocked, we can't figure out why it broke.

His trigger guard is marked with a "T", supposedly the Winchester target triggers were marked at the pivot point with a "T" also. He'll check for that when he gets the trigger apart.

Does anyone know a source for "T" marked triggers?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those are pretty generic trigger parts, go to hpre64win.com and type in trigger in the search bar, no problem getting the parts. As far as T marked trigger sorry I can't help you there.
BB

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Those are pretty generic trigger parts, go to hpre64win.com and type in trigger in the search bar, no problem getting the parts. As far as T marked trigger sorry I can't help you there.
BB

Thanks, My brother is a member there and found replacement triggers, just nothing with the T mark.

I only have a post 64 Win 70 (I'm a lefty) so I don't know anything more than any casual gun guy on the Pre-64s.

I was hoping that there may be someone who's seen this before and has an opinion as to the cause, as well as any source for a replacement T marked trigger.

Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen 2 other triggers break there at that point over 45 years.
Suspect simple metal fatigue

Can't help with a T trigger as now its been 50 years since the factory changed that design, it will be hard to find a used T trigger in good shape

A normal trigger can work.

Be advised that the parts will have to be fitted/adjusted for the over travel, and pull weight/ let off
Then the cocking piece refitted to the safety lever for proper retraction

J Wisner

Posts: 1429 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information Jim!

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim's proper refitting of M70 trigger and safety components is covered in excellent detail in one of the Brownells Gunsmith Kink books. I think it's Kinks II.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would say it would be very difficult to find one of the "T" triggers, even from someone like pre-64.com. Winchester did not put those on every target model they produced. It is my understand that the T triggers were just tuned a bit better than the others. They were obviously initially machined the same way as all the others. I'm just talking about the original pre-64s here. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just curious: Couldn't an expert in machine work such as Mr. Wisner make a new trigger?

KJK

Posts: 678 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Could try here and ask them condition of their parts. Have only ordered high standards parts from them myself.

https://oldarmsofidaho.com/pro...64-factory-original/

Posts: 4 | Location: Washington | Registered: 07 July 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WhelenGuy:
Could try here and ask them condition of their parts. Have only ordered high standards parts from them myself.

https://oldarmsofidaho.com/pro...64-factory-original/

Thanks! I just sent that link to my brother.

Frank

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kolo-Pan:
Just curious: Couldn't an expert in machine work such as Mr. Wisner make a new trigger?

likely -- though the setup fees would be a bear

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kendog:
Jim's proper refitting of M70 trigger and safety components is covered in excellent detail in one of the Brownells Gunsmith Kink books. I think it's Kinks II.

kendog, if you could verify that I would appreciate that since I tried but could not find it in Kinks II
BB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by kendog:

kendog, if you could verify that I would appreciate that since I tried but could not find it in Kinks II
BB

Kinks III Page 303

one of us
posted Hide Post
tu2