New
Find
Notify
Tools

what do you really hunt with?????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just interested. i have about 40 cunterfire rifles including 20 or so customs but will use this year 1. semi custom m700 25'06 leuo 3.5x10x50 illum, 2. rem m7mc 308 4x zeiss, 3.M700lss 7rem mag Bushnell Raingard 2.5x10, and 4 Rem 700ks 35 Whwlen leup. 1.75x6..The last 3 are as they came from the factory except for a trigger job.

I will only hunt those small southern deer on a 4,800 acre farm on the ga side of the Savannah from Kenny Jarette.

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom,

Was that just a Freudian slip of the keyboard? Smiler

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Mostly with my 275 Rigby, but I do hunt with my BAR in 30-06, Md. '91 Mauser in 7.65x53, Ruger 77 RSI in .308. This year I'll probably also hunt with a Weatherby Vanguard in '06 and, if I finish it, my new custom in 7x64.

My go-to guns are the .275 and the Ruger RSI though.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have a savage 10fm "sierra" that i re-barreled to 250/3000. it weighs in at just under 7lbs with a nikon 3x9. i will be hunting on 5500 acres of florida ranch and scrub land.

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Semi custom M70 Classic .300H&H and plan on using a 1952 Mannlicher Schoenauer (full stock)in .30-06 I bought earlier this year on the pretty day's. I may get the BRNO 21H 7X57 out a little this year too. Smiler

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
It will only be pigs and deer this year in California and just for the heck of it I'm bringing my M70 375 H&H (LH) and my Savage 11GL 300WSM.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My old 219 IZ is still a favorite and I may take it out this week for varmints. It has a 10X Supertargetspot and is loaded with the 40 gr BT at 4000 fps and also reduced at 2800 fps.

For big game the "new" Brno carbine in 8X57 is not going to be ready as the stock is too long so it's back to the usual battery. I may use the drilling opening day as if I don't shoot a buck at least I can get a bird. I wait til the last minute to pick what gun it will be and keep shooting them more and more frequently. It's an obsession.

I am convinced that more and more guns increases my fun.

To each his own.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
too bad they are centerfire, but the flesh spots of augusta have the other available..

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Tom, I like to noodle on which rigs will see service this time of year also. I'm not quite as 'rifle poor' as you are, but getting there.

For the couple of spots in Ga. that I'll be hunting, it will be the 'Balabushka' (long story) it's an A-IV action SAKO with a Krieger fluted barrel (Thanks Lawndart) and wearing the 40% blue, 30% white, 30% black McMillan stock in .270 Win.

Going out west after antelope, and have a custom Sako being put together by Serengeti, 270 WSM, hope to have by the time I go--if not at the risk of the flames coming my way-- I'll admit to buying a couple of the new Mauser M-03 rifles, one in 270 Win. and one in 270 WSM with an optional barrel in 300 WSM on order. They are supposed to be here next week and may take one of them on the goat hunt if I get to spend enough time at the range with them.

The 'new' old standby which is going to Kentucky is a .270 in a Sauer 202 which has just drilled the eyes out since day one. Slapped a Swarovski 3.5x10x42 on it in Talley bases and rings, and haven't had to tweak it a bit. LOVE IT.

If I get to stalking around on some of the property we are working on around here, I'll probably break out the BAR Stalker,--I know--here come some more flames--but it really does shoot well, about an inch and a quarter at 100 yards, always has functioned great for me..

This is fun--I like this thread......

Regards--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
beerI will be taking my custom 7MM RUM with 4.5-14 Luppy scope for goats in Wyoming on a 125,000 acre ranch just north of Casper. I will take my custom Santa Barbera full stocked Mauser carbine in 7x57 Mauser with Luppy 3-9 scope as my walking gun for back up. Both make me very happy and instill confidence in my shooting ability. That's what really counts. But you can kill those goats with a military 8mm Mauser if you can shoot it accurately with confidence. clap

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.
NRA Life Member, December 2009

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
A Ruger No. 1 in 7X57mm, 7mm Rem. Mag., or a .50 cal custom Hawken ML.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RayGunter
posted Hide Post
a sporterized Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55
or
a sporterized 98 in 280 rem.

Ray

...look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 117 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
376 steyr, 358 winchester, 550 express, and 708 (pistol)

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stevens 200 in .270.

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
...a boring Model 70 Classic Stainless in 300WSM bedded into its tupperware stock and topped by a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40. Even the S. Texas brush doesn't hurt this rig...

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For deer, either a 7mm-08 or a 7x57, they perform pretty much equal to each other. The determining factors are wet or dry conditions and open or woods stalking.
The 7mm-o8 is in stainless synthetic and shoots a little flatter than the 7x57 in wood blue.
Don't tell anyone, either will do the job, but if a man has a plausible story it keeps the "accountant" happy.
Smiler

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
My current hammer is a vz24 customized to .308 win. It took a couple fo nice pigs last year. It will be replaced by another custom vz24 in .30-06 if I ever finish it.

But, when I deer hunted every year in TX, I used a cheap Glenfield model 30A. Took all my deer but one with that. It has too much headspace, won't shoot better than 1.5 moa, etc, etc. But, I'd use it again in a heart beat. The other fell to my Rem 700 in .30-06.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have five mausers, 2 Winchesters, and a Browning.

This year I will hunt Elk, Mule Deer and Whitetail deer with one rifle. A model 70 Classic Supergrade in .300 Win Mag topped with a Zeiss Conqeust 3-9 scope. the Winchester is factory except that the trigger has been tuned and the recoil lug has been re glass bedded. If I do my part it will shoot honest 1.25 inch groups with my handloads, which consist of 180 Nos. Partitions over AA 3100 powder and a normal remington primer.

As a backup I will take the FN Mauser in 30-06 shooting the same 180 Nos Partitions over AA3100 powder and Rem. Primers. That rifle wears a Burris 3-9 Scope.

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Remington SS 300 Win Mag with its factory Tupperware stock topped with a Bushnell 4200 Elite 4x16x40mm shooting 150gr Barnes TSX. Looking into a HS precision stock in the future hate the Tupperware crap stock.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It depends if the Lott is ready by deer season.....
Rem 600 in 223, mauser in 35 whelen, pre-64 06, or mauser in 6.5-06. My go to guns.
Mike Allred

Mike Allred

Posts: 144 | Location: Llano County, Texas | Registered: 16 July 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I was at the range this morning shooting what I'm going to hunt with this season; a set of Echols-built Model 70 custom rifles, one a 300 Win. Mag. with a 3.5-10x Leica on top, and the other is a 416 Rem. Mag. with a 1.5-5x Leupold VX-III. Ammo is handloaded 180 gr. Nosler Partitions for the 300 Win., and 370 North Fork Solid and soft-point ammo for the 416 Rem.

I'll use the 300 Winchester in New Mexico, Tanzania, Oregon, and Texas, and the 416 Remington in Tanzania.

Simple, plain, well-built rifles that work.........

AD

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
My custom stocked Weatherby Vangard in 300 Wby has been my everything rifle for the last 5 years. But I have used my T/C Encore 375 H&H more & more often.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My go to gun is a well worn M700 ADL 30'06 wearing an H-S Procision handle and topped with a 4x M8 Leupold. This year old reliable will be a loaner so I'm hoping to hunt bear and planning to hunt whitetail with my Guide Gun "Mjolnir". Then I'll see if I can't finally
blood the Encore 209x50 in the muzzleloader season. Good hunting!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...a boring Model 70 Classic Stainless in 300WSM bedded into its tupperware stock and topped by a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40. Even the S. Texas brush doesn't hurt this rig...

CDH, I had one of those too and missing it already...I've been selling some rifles for a custom gun project...

Always the guntrader..I have no idea what I'll be hunting deer with this year but it looks like a well worn pre 64 Win. in .338 with a bobbed off barrel...23", with 210gr Noslers along with an old 30-30 mod. 94 Win.!!!

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
One rifle? jeez. Well, it'l have to be my 300 Weatherby MKV Deluxe. One of the first made here in the USA. Been to africa twice with it, Maine for bear and deer as well as the Carolinas and Alabama.

Yeah it's overkill for these little deer we have down here, but at this rate, I'll never wear the barrel out; all one shot kills and the Zeiss scope hasn't changed zero since I put it on back in 1998 and it shoots 180 Partitions, Hornadys and 220gr Hornadys ( all WBY factory loads) almost to the same POI, the 220s falling right on center line but 1" lower @ 100 yards. Can you guys tell I really TRUST this rifle? you bet! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it seems like about 98% of the time it will be my 1939 mod-70 300h-h with a 4x leupold with an older tang safety m-77 ruger 7x57 with a k-3 weaver as backup.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still reach in the safe and drag out the old M77 Ruger in 300 Win Mag with a Garret Accurlite stock on it. It works for me on deer, elk, kudu, oryx and lots of pigs or whatever else happens along. I do like to look at the fancy wood stocks though! Learned to watch the guy who only uses one rifle as chances are he knows how to use it well.
BJB

Posts: 514 | Location: now in Lower Slower Delaware | Registered: 21 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes the fall Big Game Hunting season is COMING!
Finally!
I will begin with the Antelope Safari I am planning for early October. I will be using my all factory ULTRA-Antelope Rifle - its a Remington 700 Sendero in caliber 270 Winchester! Sounds "Plain Jane" but its not! Its capable of excellent accuracy and has been my favortie Antelope Rifle for the last 3 seasons now. I have a Leupold 8.5x25x40mm scope on it and a Harris Bi-pod. The pointy and flat flying Nosler 130 gr. Ballistic Tips I use in it put the Antelope down extremely well when double lung shot!
Next, I will Hunt the first week of Elk season with my tried and true Remington 700 Classic in caliber 7mm Remington Magnum. I have a Leupold 3.5x10 scope on this rig and combined with the Nosler 160 gr. Partitions it IS fine Elk medicine!
I used this rig to take my best ever Bull Elk on the second day of Montana's Rifle season last year!
Then I will split the rest of the season Hunting Mule Deer and Whitetails here in Montana. I will use my customized pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in caliber 280 Remington. The 25" Douglas barrel on this Rifle is splendidly accurate when I shoot the Nosler 140 gr. Partitions out of it! I have a Leupold 4x12 variable scope (with A/O feature) on this Rifle and its going to be a coin toss again this year if it gathers in a Mulie or a Whitetail Buck!
Wishing EVERYONE a safe and successful fall season!
Yep - I really Hunt with these.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been hunting with a 7X57 of late and before that a .257 Roberts and we are talking about deer hunting. This year it will be a .270 Winchester on a model 98 Mauser built by my old friend. I think it is going to be a wonderful relationship. I was going to just use it this one year but I think it is just the start.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
I will probably use a real nice pre-64 in a 264 this year for deer season I also have an elk tag for the same time period so this should be a good choice load it up with some 129's Hornady I should be good to go. If I don't use the 264 then I will use my good ol 323 Hollis. The chamber work was done by Kurt at H&K gunshop in Forest Grove, Or.

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
300 wby, 375 H&H, every now and then I take my beat to hell mdl 70 in 270 win to Mexico to deer hunt. All the rest of um I have are just toys to take to the range etc.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a favorite cartridge of Alaska hunters, a stainless Ruger M77 MK-II in .338WM, topped with a Leupold matte 2.5-8x scope. This is the only big game rifle I have and use each year to hunt moose.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of my deer hunting in NY has been with a Browning BPS 12 with fully rifled Hastings barrel and a Pentax 2.5X. It's the law around here but I hear talk that one of the area's I hunt may go to rifle this year so I'm planning on taking my Sav.99 RS with G&H side mounted Kollmorgen Bear Cub 4X.

I also have some 30-30-'s to try out this year, both from 1955, wearing period scopes, a M94 & a 336

If the weather gets snotty I'll drag out the Kimber 6.5 x55 Swedish conversion, plastic stock and chrome plated with a Weaver 3-10X40.

For BP season it'll be an Austin & Halleck 420, 50cal.

Finally, if I get to AZ for javelina, I have a Rem. M7 in .250 Sav. staying at a friends house out there.

Nostalgia.

Posts: 1690 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
Most of my deer hunting is done with a Savage 99 brush gun in .358 winchester with a weaver k4 , but If I'm hunting some really big fields it's a sporterized remington o3a3 30.06 with a 3x9 scope.

We have a week of muzzle loader season here in GA and I'm swithching this year from an inline to a .50 cal TC Hawken.

Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SwiftShot
posted Hide Post
1. If it walks Bowtech Samson 85 lbs with muzzy 125 grain broadheads.

2. If it flies Mossberg 835 12 guage.

I own a hell of a lot of guns and I dont really know why.

Posts: 433 | Location: Washington state USA  | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will be using my grandad's Oberndorf type-A M98 in 10.75x68, she's a beauty, open sights (1 standing 4 folding) and is right on the money with 347 grain softies at a 100! Big Grin the 375's gone for a stock job and wont be back for a while.... pigs are what im goin after at a friend's farm this winter..Wink and its gonna be a blast!! mgun

Zubin

One shot..meat! Two shots...maybe...Three shots...heap shit! - Old Indian adage

Posts: 137 | Location: Pune, IN | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This season in RSA used :
6 x 45 Blesbuck/impala
308 blesbuck
30-06 red hartebeest/impala
10,75 x 68 warthog

Just realised that the 9,3 x 62 did not work this season !!!!

Posts: 51 | Location: RSA | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
This year-my custom stocked TC Contender with either the 17" 45 Colt barrel or the 20" 309 JDJ barrel. Nice-n-light and for the hunting I do (inside 100 yds), more than enough

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
This year I have had to limit my hunting to one trip, but it will be a good one, to the Caprivi Strip for elephant, cape buffalo, hippo and croc (if any PAC animals are available) and plains game (if time permits).

I will take two of my AHR Safari 550s, one of them in .500 A-Square with express open sights, and the other in .416 Rigby with a Swarovski Habicht PV 1.25-4x24mm scope.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Well, I have a muzzleloader tag for elk this year, so I will be packing a repro P58 Enfield two-band rifle in .577, probably shooting a Lee REAL over 120 grains FFg, with CCI musket cap.
For deer, I'd like to be packing a No. 1 in .405, but may just end up with one of the old surplus beasties, a Swiss K-31 or more likely a BSA Enfield .303 sporter.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16633 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote