New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electronic Trigger
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is the latest development in electronic triggers? I would like to make a long range XP type bolt action pistol. Thanks, Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3339 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think they went away like the dodo bird.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"...like the dodo bird." Haha, good one. Thanks for the heads up. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3339 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
etronx? something like that, from remmington was about the only commercially available trigger+primers that I am aware of.

the g11, g12 cases rifles also used a proprietary e-trigger, i expect others working on caseless ammo did the same, so that there was nothing to eject

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38513 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When it comes to guns. I avoid anything with a battery. Can you imagine a once in a life time trophy and ...dead battery!

Cell phones give me all the aggravation I need

Posts: 3468 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Electronic trigger and electric primer is something completely different.

There are for example .22LR competition pistols with electronic triggers made by Walther etc.

Jiri

Posts: 2078 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jiri, Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For God’s sake, why?!

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Jiri,
you are correct, and I assumed electronic to be the discharge type, rather than electro-mechanical, or "remotely" activated mechanical

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38513 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buckstix wrote a write up on his bull pup rifle in the custom rifle section.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Colin, Thanks very much! I knew that I saw and article somewhere on electronic triggers. Brian

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
When it comes to guns. I avoid anything with a battery. Can you imagine a once in a life time trophy and ...dead battery!

Cell phones give me all the aggravation I need

Hear, hear! Illuminated scopes are in the same category, IMHO.

Posts: 4977 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Tank cannons have electric triggers; very fast ignition time because they also have electric primers. Both our M68 rifled and M256 smooth bore cannons. (Which also operates at close to 100K psi, but that is another discussion.
Which is the point and issue; having an electric/electronic trigger on a conventional rifle lock actually gives you LESS control over things. Many, especially neophyte shooters, think they want a trigger with a .1 ounce weight of pull. That is a recipe for disaster even if your battery isn't dead. Much like a very light set trigger; they aren't always a good thing.
Now, for a bench rest rifle, might have potential but not for a hunter.

Posts: 17133 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd, Very interesting, thanks, brian

one of us
posted Hide Post
Somewhere on my brains hard drive I remember reading about a study done comparing using the set trigger on a gun vs. using it without setting it.

If I remember correctly, shooters did the same or worse using the set trigger.

Of course I could just be getting old...

quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Tank cannons have electric triggers; very fast ignition time because they also have electric primers. Both our M68 rifled and M256 smooth bore cannons. (Which also operates at close to 100K psi, but that is another discussion.
Which is the point and issue; having an electric/electronic trigger on a conventional rifle lock actually gives you LESS control over things. Many, especially neophyte shooters, think they want a trigger with a .1 ounce weight of pull. That is a recipe for disaster even if your battery isn't dead. Much like a very light set trigger; they aren't always a good thing.
Now, for a bench rest rifle, might have potential but not for a hunter.

Posts: 1679 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You are probably right.
I actually missed a deer once by using a set trigger; of course I thought a half ounce trigger was a good thing. Shot over its back and it didn't hang around. Flintlock, but the set triggers operate the same as on a cartridge rifle. That is where they came from.
Sure, there are those (mostly in Germany who shoot from stands) who learn to use them, but for the other 99% of us, no.

Posts: 17133 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
many moons ago when i was into IHMSA we tried a xp100 with an electric trigger a button replaced the trigger and activated a solenoid which activated the firing pin - i never got used to it or liked it also it have just about a zero locktime

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
butchloc. Yes that is the kind of electric trigger that I was wondering about. Fun for target shooting and gophers, maybe.