New
Find
Notify
Tools

476 AR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have this posted in the wildcatting forum. I received pm's suggesting I put it here in the gunsmithing forum. So here it is!

It is a 1939 marked vz24 chambered in Jeff's 476 AR. it is actually the first 476 AR. This is a shortened 416 Rigby case opened up to .475

The rifle has a 338 Lapua mag that was modified by DPCD to accept the 476 AR. The parent case is a 416 Rigby like the Lapua. It holds four down and feeds perfect!

The front sight is a NECG with a red fiber optic insert and the rear peep is mounted to the cocking piece and is adjustable for windage and elevation.

I did not realize, until after I took the pictures, that I had not installed the Dakota swivel base on the rear of the stock!

I am an amateur at best so don't beat me up to bad. I enjoy trying though!

The wood is a piece of English I purchased at Walnut Grove Gunstocks in Weiser Idaho; forum member christrees. I have three rifles; this one, a Ruger No 1 30-378 and a Montana PH 550 Gibbs, all out of this tree.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I love the marble cake figure in that stock!

Have you shot it?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have fired some 600gr solids out of it,
It was before the stock was finished and the mag added. I had to single feed them by taking bolt out then putting the case under the extractor and putting bolt back in. It was a pain! Had to do fire forming that way as well.

It is manageable but stout, very stout!looking at the primers it was not a max load.

I am going to Cast some bullets for it for squirrels and other vicious critters.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle, but what is the box hanging underneath?

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that is where I plan to carry my lunch.

I can get one cheese stick, broken in half as well as a pepperoni stick; of course also broken in half, in the "BOX".

Or if I have nothing for lunch I can put four 476 AR rounds in it. Then I can go out and kill something for lunch...... dancing

quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by npd345:
that is where I plan to carry my lunch.

I can get one cheese stick, broken in half as well as a pepperoni stick; of course also broken in half, in the "BOX".

Or if I have nothing for lunch I can put four 476 AR rounds in it. Then I can go out and kill something for lunch...... dancing

quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:

Oh! You need more than 1 round?

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sure as hell do! Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post

I know people in Idaho. I kept telling them that getting that special GMO potato seed from Japan was a BAD IDEA ! After all, they did give us Godzilla and Mothra. No, no they said. Everything will be fine. They're shipping it in the bowels of an empty oil tanker ship with the hatches welded closed for security purposes.
You worry too much they said - - - - - - - -

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like that rear sight on the cocking piece! May I ask where you got it?

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TrademarkTexan:

Looks like the ones made by Helmut Vogt.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Godzila has a lot of influence with my designs....

I will be in Canada by this time next week, if they let me in!
shane

quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:

I know people in Idaho. I kept telling them that getting that special GMO potato seed from Japan was a BAD IDEA ! After all, they did give us Godzilla and Mothra. No, no they said. Everything will be fine. They're shipping it in the bowels of an empty oil tanker ship with the hatches welded closed for security purposes.
You worry too much they said - - - - - - - -

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Helmut Vogt is correct.

http://www.gun-shop.biz/id44.html

quote:
Originally posted by TrademarkTexan:

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice detachable mag the stock leaves something to be desired. Wink

Posts: 19376 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
it should easily throw 500gr at 2500 ... likely quite a bit more

nice stock

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38465 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote