New
Find
Notify
Tools

P14 Swing Safety Conversion
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just came into some P14 actions, recontoured and reworked for long magnums. Had to get some custom boxes made but that's done. Added Dayton trigger, spring, cocking piece etc to convert to cock on open. Recently, I saw a custom rifle on a Rem 30S (same action) with a Mauser 98 style cocking piece, converted to Win 70 swing safety. This deals with the last vestige of the "military look", the large side safety of the Enfield. Anyone know whether this cocking piece conversion is available off the shelf, or is what I saw a "one off"?

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wisner makes them. I have one on my 550 Gibbs Enfield.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think Wisner is making them anymore, maybe LaPour

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes Ed just did a batch and last I heard the parts were at the heat treater. Nice pieces but they run about 3 bills.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don,

Do you know if he made them with the gas flange this time? Last I talked to him he said he was going to.

Posts: 322 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't talk to him, a friend of mine did and all he said was they are different, mostly cosmeticly. So I assume so, he's supposed to pick me up one, I'll see then. The old one I have from him has the gas flange on the left side. I'll dig it out and get a pic.
Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.edlapourgunsmithing.com/

great looking stuff but at $300 a pop was out of my price range.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Wisner makes them. I have one on my 550 Gibbs Enfield.

Rich

Not for about 10 years..

Ed LaPour...

and, frankly, this is the only bolt military rifle that the military safety is PERFECT for a scoped rifle, and likely one of the best safeties there is...

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38608 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
and, frankly, this is the only bolt military rifle that the military safety is PERFECT for a scoped rifle, and likely one of the best safeties there is...

+1 tu2

Question to all, also- is the bolt handle shown a re-worked stock P-14 handle? I like it; I like the ones on 720's, too.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you say so, but I bought it from him, along with a proper mag box, and floor plate about three years ago.

Maybe he just does neat stuff for me...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The original bolt handle has been truncated on these actions and a new one welded on. We retained the stub because that's where the original safety locks into the bolt handle. We will be using these as the basis for our "Bad Boy V" 5 round DG rifles/kits in various long magnum calibers including 458 lott and 470 Capstick, and we will offer the swing safety as an optional upgrade. It looks cleaner and more "custom", but as people have pointed it out, it's not cheap. The standard version (mil safety) will come with the Dayton cocking piece, spring and trigger to achieve "Cock on Open" and single stage trigger pull (the LaPour safety also achieves "Cock on Open" of course).

The Win 70 style safety is widely regarded as the "Best" and safest design. Locks the cocking piece not the sear, allows rounds to be safely cycled thru the action, allows low scope mounting etc etc. So we will accommodate that sentiment.

Nothing wrong with "cock on closing" (there are plenty of dead soldiers who would attest to that if they could, and I cut my CF teeth on a Lee Enfield) but the "market" prefers conventional "cock on open".

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Markey:
I didn't talk to him, a friend of mine did and all he said was they are different, mostly cosmeticly. So I assume so, he's supposed to pick me up one, I'll see then. The old one I have from him has the gas flange on the left side. I'll dig it out and get a pic.
Don

Sorry it took so long i couldn't find it. I don't know if the new ones are the same but here is one of his original ones with the gas flange only on the left side.
Don

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
The original bolt handle has been truncated on these actions and a new one welded on. We retained the stub because that's where the original safety locks into the bolt handle. We will be using these as the basis for our "Bad Boy V" 5 round DG rifles/kits in various long magnum calibers including 458 lott and 470 Capstick, and we will offer the swing safety as an optional upgrade. It looks cleaner and more "custom", but as people have pointed it out, it's not cheap. The standard version (mil safety) will come with the Dayton cocking piece, spring and trigger to achieve "Cock on Open" and single stage trigger pull (the LaPour safety also achieves "Cock on Open" of course).

The Win 70 style safety is widely regarded as the "Best" and safest design. Locks the cocking piece not the sear, allows rounds to be safely cycled thru the action, allows low scope mounting etc etc. So we will accommodate that sentiment.

Nothing wrong with "cock on closing" (there are plenty of dead soldiers who would attest to that if they could, and I cut my CF teeth on a Lee Enfield) but the "market" prefers conventional "cock on open".

I think today most buyers expect an M-70 safety on custom guns and I like them a lot. But I wouldn't on an M-30 or Enfield for dangerous game. I'd rather invest the 300 bucks in good bottom metal and drop them out the bottom. The center position on a Model 70 can be too easy to knock all the way on or all the way off inadvertently; either being very very bad if unexpected. The standard safety still locks the firing pin (unless there's something about Dayton's parts that won't) and you are NOT going to displace the lever without intent. A purely acedemic exercise for me but that's how I've done my last two M-30 Express conversions.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No the dayton cp has a lock notch, just in a different place since it is a speedlock and maintains about 5/16" of pin travel. Same as the old gpc cps, but dayton requires a little cocking came work and are alot smoother when done right.
Don

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
if you say so, but I bought it from him, along with a proper mag box, and floor plate about three years ago.

Maybe he just does neat stuff for me...

Rich

You mean the NOS he sold here a couple months ago? .. Yeah, he doesn't do them anymore, Ed does, from time to time

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38608 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote