THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    what is the optimal twist and barrel length for 338-06?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what is the optimal twist and barrel length for 338-06?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
howdee y'all

i need schooling on what you would thing to be the best twist and barrel length for the 338-06. at what length does the barrel stop being so effective? is it like the regular 06 where 22" is all you need? keep in mind i will be hotloading these with 250 grainers for the woods and 180 grainers for the open stuff. thanks for your opinions and keep loading beer

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27607 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My answer would depend on wether you wanted to go for the max velocity harmonic or the lower end, longer barrel life harmonic. If I were planning on long shots, even though it was to double as a woods gun, I would load with slower powders and heavier pills like you plan to, so that I could get max speed and high BC. BUT, if the longer shot is not so much offered, then the lighter pills going a bit slower would be a better choice for good terminal performance.

That being said, with the limited case cap vs bullet dia (MHO) I would go no less than 12 twist, but rely morso on heavy twists for versatility and would lean on the 1:10 so I could use slowm powders with heavy pills for good velocity(you can always load light, but not heavy if your twist is not compatable). I would also figure on slow powders needing expansion room and go with the old faithful 26" but I am sure a 24" would be more than sufficient and possibly a bit more ridgid assuming like barrel diameters.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I have my own 338 wildcat. More or less a 338 Gibbs. I cut the barrel back from 26 to 24. I lost 20FPS with the same load. I've loaded and used from the 180 to the 250. Now I use the 210 for everything. I think you need more case for the 250s.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Barrel length and twist are not optimization parameters in the sense that you are not going to discover a maximum or minimum when varying them.

Twist will be determined by bullet length. If you intend to use heavy monometal bullets, these are longer than the typical lead core bullet, and you will need more twist to stabilize them. If you shoot solids into skulls, you can use more twist to keep the bullet penetrating in a straight line.

I like barrels about 600 mm long (or 23.6") or 24" long, but I use barrels from 19" to 26" depending on the rifle. My .338-'06 had a 24" barrel, but I mostly thought the 210 gr Partition was its favorite bullet.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JustC:
My answer would depend on wether you wanted to go for the max velocity harmonic or the lower end, longer barrel life harmonic. If I were planning on long shots, even though it was to double as a woods gun, I would load with slower powders and heavier pills like you plan to, so that I could get max speed and high BC. BUT, if the longer shot is not so much offered, then the lighter pills going a bit slower would be a better choice for good terminal performance.

That being said, with the limited case cap vs bullet dia (MHO) I would go no less than 12 twist, but rely morso on heavy twists for versatility and would lean on the 1:10 so I could use slowm powders with heavy pills for good velocity(you can always load light, but not heavy if your twist is not compatable). I would also figure on slow powders needing expansion room and go with the old faithful 26" but I am sure a 24" would be more than sufficient and possibly a bit more ridgid assuming like barrel diameters.

i would be going for longer barrel life

Posts: 27607 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HunterJim:
Barrel length and twist are not optimization parameters in the sense that you are not going to discover a maximum or minimum when varying them.

Twist will be determined by bullet length. If you intend to use heavy monometal bullets, these are longer than the typical lead core bullet, and you will need more twist to stabilize them. If you shoot solids into skulls, you can use more twist to keep the bullet penetrating in a straight line.

I like barrels about 600 mm long (or 23.6") or 24" long, but I use barrels from 19" to 26" depending on the rifle. My .338-'06 had a 24" barrel, but I mostly thought the 210 gr Partition was its favorite bullet.

jim

so you think a 24" and 1 in 12 for solids and 1 in 10 for lead filled?

for powder capacity i might be leaning to lead filled like north forks, never used them but they have a great rep. 200 224 240 grains in the 338 cal. he quotes the 224 being designed for the 338-06

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
I have my own 338 wildcat. More or less a 338 Gibbs. I cut the barrel back from 26 to 24. I lost 20FPS with the same load. I've loaded and used from the 180 to the 250. Now I use the 210 for everything. I think you need more case for the 250s.

i was thinking about getting 2500 fps from the 250 gr. stuff. that is the medicine i am looking for in the heavy stuff.

question, what is your unbiased Winkopinion on the other cats, hawk ai in 338? i was looking at the 338-06 for easy brass making and loading and the occasional factory load.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Faster twist for the non lead bullets. I have used a 1 in 10 for everything I have tried. Works just fine. Don't believe you would ever see a difference in barrel life. I serious doubt you would ever wear out a 338 barrel.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well I do think the Hawk the 340 Howell 338-06 imp will give you a few FPS. Like I said I have basically a Gibbs but with a 40 deg shoulder and using longer 280 brass. About the most capacity you can get from an 06 case. I've very happy with it. My friend has a 340Howell.

That said unless you want a wildcat for the sake of saying you own one go with the 338-06 and never look back.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
I built my 338-06 with a 26" long 1-10" twist barrel, and haven't seen anything to indicate that I guessed wrong. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
My 338-06 has a 27 in barrel I have been thinking of cutting it down. But don't use it enough to bother with doing it. If I were going to haven another one I think I would go with a 24 inch.

Posts: 19581 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 338-06AI has a SS Hart 24" barrel which is only offered in 1:10 twist. I had it throated for the 250 gr partition. Now when I load 180 gr ballistic tips they have a ways to jump to the lands no matter how far out I try to seat them. But accuracy does not suffer.

A few powders are capable of giving 2500fps with 250 gr bullets. AA4350 is one of them.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote