New
Find
Notify
Tools

.460 Wea. to 450 Dakota
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any reson one could not set the barrel back one thread and rechamber?

Have came up with .450 Dakota drawing to compare measurements.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
would it clean up the shoulder?

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Being as the Dakota cartridge is based on a 416 Rigby case & the Weatherby care is essentially a belted Rigby case, I think you would have to set your barrel back at least the depth of the belt on the weatherby to be able to clean up the Weatherby chamber, this is a fraction over 1/4". O.252 TBP.The Wby belt is 0.604" in diameter, the Dakota is 0.582". Then I THINK it would be OK. The Wby shoulder is 0.001" bigger than the Dakota but setting the barrel back that much should probably see it right.
Steve.

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Just curious.....with todays supply of Dakota Brass, would not the .450 Rigby be an easier way to go?

But Shinzo has it right, you would have to set back to clear the belt, by then it will clean up the shoulder too.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Bent, going off the measurement on Ammoguide, I don't think that a 450 Rigby chamber would clean up a 460 Wby chamber even with the 0.252 set back. I'm assuming here that the 450 Rigby has the same shoulder dimension as the 416 (I've never been able to find a reliable 450 Rigby chamber drawing), & if that is the case, the Rigby chamber would be 540 at the shoulder & the Wby is 561 & I'm not sure that the difference would clean up even with that degree of set back. Confused This being so, the 450 Dakota might be the best bet. As was pointed out on another thread re Dakota cartridges, other than headstamped brass, they are not hard to replicate with reasonably easily available componentry.
Steve.

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Shinzo, I do not have the measurements here, but I do know the case was strightened when they opened it up to .450. From pic's, it hav at least as much of a shoulder as the .450 Dakota.

Cheers,

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Bent, Like you I 'm a bit lost on this, I've not been able to find a diagram, wish someone would put one up on ammoguide, good though it is, there is a stack more cartridges I'd like to see on there.
Steve.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bent, just finished a search on this site & while there seems to be a lot of conjecture re these dimensions & little solid fact this thread
Rigby & Dakota Dimensions
seemed to offer up some hope. It would appear from this that a 450 Rigby would clean up a 460 Wby chamber set back to eliminate the belt.
Steve.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, I would prefer the Rigby version. Looks like it should work.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Art Alphin designed the .450 Dakota and he started with the A-Square Excalibur cartridge case, which has some dimensional differences from the Rigby.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote