New
Find
Notify
Tools

need some martini help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
l'm making a couple martini cadets up in to 22k hornets, my problem is getting someone to convert the rimfire breecblocks into centerfire
can anyone there help

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Here is what I know about Martinis;
They must be Shaken, not Stirred.
Also, in the Dirty ones, that is not really dirt.

Posts: 17173 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You don't modify the breech block, you shorten the "ears" on the lever, so that the breech isn't lifted as high.

Posts: 469 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I must be losing my touch. Or people are just tired of it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i do have a dozen or so martinis and the converted ones all had the firing pin etc moved

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
I thought it was funny Tom....

Roger

Posts: 1041 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Thanks; at least I have one fan!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
i do have a dozen or so martinis and the converted ones all had the firing pin etc moved

I have had issues with one that was done like that. The bushing in the breech face recedes.
The one I have where the ears were ground works fine, but admittedly it is only a .22 Hornet. Not sure if bigger case heads would have issues with the non-square breech block.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Converted a mk 2 martini to k hornet and have used it a lot, even with .224 bullets on the .222 barrel. However, my choice, which I am out of, are the .222 40 gr Hornady 'jet'.

Peter,I wonder if changing the ears might not change the sear/trigger relationship a bit; likely not an issue on a cadet, but could be on the more advanced triggers..

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom, or should I say Bond, James Bond, I thought it was very funny!

Posts: 1657 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

Tom, Just a subtle reminder. Real men, especially combat arms officers, do not drink girly drinks. Bourbon, whiskey (Scotch or Irish), and a tiny splash of water or single ice cube is all that's needed for a mixed drink.

Posts: 476 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:

okay-- took a couple re-reads to get it

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38596 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
RA; you are absolutely right; the only reason I know this is from my CSS friends, and watching old movies.
Jeff and CM; thanks; I am still working on my Vegas act.
For everyone but me and RA; CSS is Combat Service Support; you know, the guys and girls a few Kilometes to the rear, who never get their boots muddy. We do need them though, someone. has to bring up the ice.
And of course, back on topic; Butch is getting his topic brought to the top for maximum exposure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gwahir:
Peter,I wonder if changing the ears might not change the sear/trigger relationship a bit; likely not an issue on a cadet, but could be on the more advanced triggers..

The only effect it has is slightly less compression of the main-spring. If the main spring was previously lightened a lot, this might cause unreliable ignition, but the Main spring usually has more than enough oomph.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:

And pray tell Mr Bond, what do you do with the olive?

Posts: 3877 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
quote:

And pray tell Mr Bond, what do you do with the olive?

Tom, if you reply, please keep it PG

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Let's just say that the olive is there to impress Mr Bond's female companion.
As for the lever and block relationship, if you alter that in any way, you will change the angle of the block to bore axis relationship, thereby changing the thrust axis that the block needs for support, from the frame. In a rimfire, that is not as important, but in a higher pressure cartridge it does matter; that is how it stays locked; the block is not at an angle. Visualize that if the block were set at a 20 degree angle and then it fired (pretend); the block would swing downward, there being nothing to stop it but the lever and that is not part of the locking mechanism. I do know about Martini design geometry, but I csn't tell you how.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
actually you plug the existing hole and drill a new one i use to do this but my machine shop close so even if my old eyes would work i no longer have the tools sure hope somebody can help it would make a couple grandsons very happy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I quit drinking a long time ago so I am not much help on the above banter
I you can find one of Frank DeHaas's book (Mr. Single Shot"s Gunsmithing Idea book) it is currently out of print. it goes into detail on how the conversion is made. It can be done with a lathe very easily. If you cannot find the book I will loan you mine if you wish to go that way. I have a couple of center fire pins and springs I will donate to your project. I have done a number of them but would need the barreled action to fit the block.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I know from talking to Bob Snapp back in the day that he regularly ground the ears on the lever to drop the block snd center the firing pin. He was considered a Martini guru. As to gunsmiths, give C. Sharps Arms a call and I bet they will help you out. They do custom work in addition to building guns.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3821 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don’t get this. The Cadets were originally centrefire, so to convert to rimfire the lobes on the lever were ground down to lower the block.
Surely to convert it back to CF you need to add material to the lobes to raise the block back to original height?

Posts: 631 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metal:
I don’t get this. The Cadets were originally centrefire, so to convert to rimfire the lobes on the lever were ground down to lower the block.
Surely to convert it back to CF you need to add material to the lobes to raise the block back to original height?

You are quite correct that the Martini Cadet was a centerfire rifle. However, the same action was also produced as a .22RF and was very popular as a rimfire target rifle, especially in England. Thousands of these rimfire target rifles were made, and while I have no factual data that supports this, I would not be surprised if the number of small Martinis produced in .22 RF exceed that produced as centerfire military trainers. It is these rimfire action that require modification for centerfire use.

Posts: 476 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://forums.accuratereloadi...381044731#6381044731

Ross Seyfried did a story on convertions in 87 or 88, I kept it for years and finally threw it away. I seem to remember that he used a stepped bushing and an offset firing pin also.

Posts: 426 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogersGunWorks:
quote:
Originally posted by metal:

You are quite correct that the Martini Cadet was a centerfire rifle. However, the same action was also produced as a .22RF and was very popular as a rimfire target rifle, especially in England. Thousands of these rimfire target rifles were made, and while I have no factual data that supports this, I would not be surprised if the number of small Martinis produced in .22 RF exceed that produced as centerfire military trainers. It is these rimfire action that require modification for centerfire use.

Ok I get it now.
Here in Oz there are thousands of 310 Cadet conversions to rimmed CF cartridges kicking around. Also plenty of 310 Cadets for sale, almost like you can’t give them away.

Posts: 631 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]Tom, Just a subtle reminder. Real men, especially combat arms officers, do not drink girly drinks. Bourbon, whiskey (Scotch or Irish), and a tiny splash of water or single ice cube is all that's needed for a mixed drink.[/QUOTE]

Roger, 100% correct!

Also, real men don't eat quiche.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1550 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
While I adore Jamison, I also like both some rums and most quiches

#dumptrump

476AR,