Find
Notify
Tools

Guys I want to learn how to stipple on metal
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted
It does not seem to be a great art but I have thetime and know I need a Tool harder than the steel I am goint to use it on, and I have a good repetative strike if that helps.

Any Ideas?

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3071 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
That is some thing I would like to learn as well. I have one reciever that was previously d&t, and the filled holes still show through the blueing slightly. Thought it would be nice to do the stippled effect to conceal the blemish.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2688 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I hired a guy that would be a great stippler. He hammers nails like lighting........he never hits the same spot twice.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
start with a block of hardwood and a 10p nail .. and see how it plays out ... no, really, try that first. You'll have to hit evenly in power, randomly in pattern

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dempsey;
That is freaking priceless!
Raff

Posts: 460 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a long time ago I watched a gunsmith do some stippling.

What he did was ever so slightly bend a small very dull dental burr and then place it in a dremel tool. Because it was bent (ever so slightly) it obviously wobbled ever so slightly and made a very nice stipple effect.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brownell's used to have them, but I don't see them now. Try engraving tools or dot punches. I know some of the tool steel center punches will work as well.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 7mmMagnum
posted Hide Post
ForrestB's 416 Rigby actually.

See it here!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One way to stipple
Say you are starting out on a front sight ramp.

Use a set of soft jaws to hold the work piece in a solid vice.
Position the ramp about 1/8"-1/4" below the top of the soft jaws.
This will let the vice jaws act as a border to keep the punch from skiding off the side of the ramp.
Next get a sharp prick punch(not a center punch, a prick punch is ground to a sharper angle than a center punch and will leave a smaller nicer looking punch mark).
With your left hand grasping the prick punch and resting on the vise to steady yourself
Hold the punch 90* to your ramp with the punch tip about 1/8" -1/4" above your work. Now try to keep your hammer blows uniform.
By having the punch tip above your work, once the hammer blow is delivered, your punch will spring back to clear the work, somewhat like a sewing machine effect.
The rest just take practice.
Be sure to post picture of your work.

Hal

Posts: 160 | Location: Montana | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys

I might try it on a 721 to begin with, I have a gunsmithe that could do a few borders for me and off I go.

also I might even try a engrave that you use to initial tools with.

Cal30
Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3071 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brownell's still has the stipple tools in their catalog from time to time. On their website every day.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just to clarify terms:

I have always thought that "stippling" was the horrid course pattern that folks use to ruin pistol grips, while "matting" was the fine texture that Duane and Scrollcutter use on rifles to reduce glare and enhance engraving.

Are the terms interchangeable?

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To make the random "stipples" you can use an inexpensive electric pencil engraver. Crisp borders need to be cut with a graver.

An engraver I used to work with used to do what he call "Florentine" matting that was a very fine, non-random cross hatch.

Posts: 49 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G&A had a pretty good article 10 years ago. Here is the link: http://www.gunsandammo.com/con...our-guns-appearance-

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Dall85

Thank you very much that is a good article and was my thoughts exactly with the file idea.

Thank you for posting this.

cal30

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had occasion to stipple the front strap of several M1911A1 National Match pistols as part of an upgrade program. For a short period of time, the specifications for modifying the front strap of the frame to increase the roughness of the front strap (and thus enhance the ability of the shooter to maintain a good grip on the pistol) allowed stippling or checkering to be used. Since my supervisor was lazy, he opted to use the following stippling method.

The method I was taught (and eventually modified) was to take an air hammer/chisel used for automotive work and modify the tool by grinding the tip to a point, making protective plates that physically limited the stippling to the area desired, placing the frame in a vise, and then going at it with the air hammer. I thought the results were effective but hideous since it was hard to accurately control the movement of the tool and the intensity of the strike.

I eventually developed a fixture to hold the air hammer in a milling machine and another fixture to hold the tool in a tighter pattern as well as to allow for adjustment of the tension it was held against the piston of the air hammer. This showed a huge improvement in the evenness of the pattern and the controllability of the tool but was a pain to use. Several years later, I saw a gentleman modify a sewing machine to do the same thing. He also incorporated a spring into the punch shaft so as to not hammer the sewing machine as hard. He was a model maker that specialized in dioramas and the patterns he punched into brass and plastic would turn out looking like a miniature gravel path or stucco on a building. Looking back, I wonder if an electric etching machine would have done the job better for my purposes. Better yet, I would have liked to learn how to do it by hand! Good luck, remember; the key to success is the same across the board, practice, practice, practice!

Posts: 222 | Location: Central Iowa | Registered: 16 May 2009Reply With Quote