New
Find
Notify
Tools

Duane Wiebe 300H&H work photo's
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Duane is currently building a 300H&H for me on a mauser action. Duane is very good about sending work photo's (the best form of communication there is). Here are a few of those photo's of the metal work. Duane can chime in and give you any details. I hope you all enjoy the photo's as much as I do.

Here is the barreled action.

Top action is the 300H&H, middle action is a Granite Mtn 404, bottom action is the Satterlee 416 Rigby.

Installing new bolt handle

Custom talley bases.

Milling the rear sight

Finished rear sight

Installing and squaring the rear sight to the action.

Front sight profile was re-shaped.

Installing the front sight.

Going to use this blank.

After band sawing - middle blank is for the 300H&H.

Laying out the measurements for inletting the action.

Inletting.

Installing recoil pad with widows peak.

Left Side

Right side.

After tinting stock with red oil.

Sanding stock with rottenstone and stock oil to both fill and polish the wood. Each application leaves a very thin coat of finish......need to do this 20-25 times.

Duane will be shooting in the iron sights next.

Checkering layout.

All of these little parts were blued, while waiting on the engraving.

Scrollcutter did the engraving.....I didn't want a lot as this will be a working gun.

Here is one with the Swarovski scope

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
Mike,

All 3 actions are nice looking. I do like Stu's a little better,but I'm biased as you know.

Roger

"A long life, and the good sense to live it." ...Quintis Arrius

375H&H,404J,416DAK,458AFR,416RIG,450RIG,505GIB

Avatar: Gregory Peck & Susan Hayward in Africa

NRA member

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
:::SIGH::: absolutely gorgeous Mike Smiler Love the caliber too! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The man is a genius.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
That is going to be something special. Keep the pictures coming.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MHC,

How about it, are going to have Duane extend those tangs? Thanks for sharing and sure would be nice to turn Duane lose on all that iron.

Many Thanks

HBH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are one lucky feller! I don't think the other 2 receivers have anything on yours.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duane-

nice work as usual. I noticed that you soldered on the rear site and you Loc-Tited the sling swivel on the Searcy rifle. I was just curious which method you chocse for different applications.

Thanks again for posting the pics. You set a high bar for hacks like me.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
They are addictive. That's quite the line up.
Timan

Posts: 1228 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:
Duane-

nice work as usual. I noticed that you soldered on the rear site and you Loc-Tited the sling swivel on the Searcy rifle. I was just curious which method you chocse for different applications.

Thanks again for posting the pics. You set a high bar for hacks like me.
Well...read the tea leaves, test the wind...you know..all that scientific stuff! On this project, I soldered everything. Loctite can be VERY effective. I once had to remove a loc tited swivel band that I had originally. installed.....couldn't do it! had to turn it off on the lathe. Lot has to do with the fit. Installing sights, leaves little room for error. If it's not exactly right and loc tite was used...you're screwed! With solder, you can adjust, then light up the torch and finish the job Like to hear how others feel about all this

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Duane,
The problem with silver soldering (for me at least) is that when soldering metals of different thickness together ( barrel bands, sight bands which are thin etc to barrels which are thick ) they heat up very differently. Thin=fast, thick=slower. Any special tricks to address this issue to make the solder flow where you want it to.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
Duane,
The problem with silver soldering (for me at least) is that when soldering metals of different thickness together ( barrel bands, sight bands which are thin etc to barrels which are thick ) they heat up very differently. Thin=fast, thick=slower. Any special tricks to address this issue to make the solder flow where you want it to.
Unless you're going to caustic blue, silvcesolder usually is not necessary for ramps, bases, etc. I use a 'productr xcalled "sta brite" a silver bearing solder ( 6 percent)but have lately tried the "force 44(4 percent) which is much easier to work with. I tin the barrel, using steel wool to spread out and make a nice even coat. flux again and then flux the inside of the band real well. Clamp in place and heat evenly until the solder flows into the joint, applying as much as it will take...of course, don't overheat. I use a "Presto lite" acetylene torch such as you see plumbers use. The flame on hand held bottles sputters at exactly the wrong time if the bottle is inverted or almost any position except straight up

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the Force 44 solder. The only problem I have with it is cleaning up the overrun stuff. Usually use the soapstone sticks to keep it from spreading too far.

I quit using silver solder a long time ago. It takes way too much heat to make it flow to do sights on a barrel.

As for bluing, I don't have a problem with caustic bluing with this solder. It will stand up to the bluing temperature.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim: I've heard that! Does the action of the salts themselves deteriorate the joint? I'm pretty sure temp iself would not

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Duane
quote:
Presto lite" acetylene torch

Which tip do you use?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Duane
What kind of flux do you use?
Do you degrease your steel wool before using it for tinning?

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HBH:
MHC,

How about it, are going to have Duane extend those tangs? Thanks for sharing and sure would be nice to turn Duane lose on all that iron.

Many Thanks

HBH

HBH,

No, I will not have extended tangs installed on this rifle. I want to keep the weight down.

I also posted a photo of the wood blank we will use.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lets see....I use the big tip...don't even know where the small tip lives. I don't bother degreasing...but it sure wouldn't hurt!

The Flux with Force 44 is the one I use...I also squirt a bit on the steel wool...really makes a nice flow.

After you're done, wash well in hot running water and scrub with SOS pads...this stuff is really caustic!

Tip: Have a fan taking away the fumes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
Jim: I've heard that! Does the action of the salts themselves deteriorate the joint? I'm pretty sure temp iself would not

I thought that I had replied to this but...

I have not noticed any deterioration of the joint.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gun toter
posted Hide Post
MHC,
Nice!
I am sitting here thinking about PM you to invite you on a hunt when that gun is completed.

And one great gunmaker,
Purdey and H&H (and whoever else you want to insert here) over the pond can take a back seat to that gun when it is finished.

Helluva stick of Turkish too.

Amen

I love my Avatar Too Fellas.

Posts: 190 | Location: Under my dancing Avatar | Registered: 01 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gun toter:
MHC,
Nice!
I am sitting here thinking about PM you to invite you on a hunt when that gun is completed.

And one great gunmaker,
Purdey and H&H (and whoever else you want to insert here) over the pond can take a back seat to that gun when it is finished.

Helluva stick of Turkish too.

Amen

Where are we going?

One of Us
Picture of Gun toter
posted Hide Post
How close are you going to be to that 300 H&H when its done.
Its gonna have a huge bearing on our location!

I love my Avatar Too Fellas.

Posts: 190 | Location: Under my dancing Avatar | Registered: 01 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MHC,

Good God Man, there you go using common sense again. Sorry I just got a case of the Jones for extended tangs Duane has teased us with recently. Those sure will make nice litter mates for the Mrs's 7 x 57.

Looks like a super nice blank!

Many Thanks

HBH

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
At least we know Duane is pleased with the way the Scholarship Rifle raffle turned out.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of aleaddict
posted Hide Post
I would really like to know how you reshaped the ramp of the front sight. It looks seamless.

-- Brian

Posts: 140 | Location: Southern Kalistan | Registered: 25 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
new pictures added

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wow, I want that top blank!

one of us
posted Hide Post
updated with more photo's 7/1/2008

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, my. That is incredible.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
"That's one bad, mofo shooting stick." Shaft

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MHC_TX-

That is one incredible project!!! Great caliber, my favorite of all the .30 caliber magnums.

Gorgeous stock, in-fricken-credible to be more precise.

What bolt handle was used on your action?

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30 Caliber Mag Fan:

What bolt handle was used on your action?

I'm not sure - maybe Duane will see this and give us the answer.

I did go with a 25" barrel length.

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Mr. Wiebe;

I noticed in the bolt picture that the fixture looks to be fixed.
Are you set on a certain angle that the bolt handle should sweep away from the bolt body, and if so what is the degrees from center of bolt to the extended bolt handle? Hope i'm clear and understandable on this question...

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
That's great progress on a very nice rifle! I love that he sends photos of the progress; that's the mark of a truly honest and dedicated 'smith. You'll have to show us some pictures when it's all said and done!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by srtrax:
Mr. Wiebe;

I noticed in the bolt picture that the fixture looks to be fixed.
Are you set on a certain angle that the bolt handle should sweep away from the bolt body, and if so what is the degrees from center of bolt to the extended bolt handle? Hope i'm clear and understandable on this question...Yes your question is very clear..my answer probably won't be...I haven't measured the angle, but I like to nestle the bolt knob JUST above the bottom line of the stock and leave enough room btwn the stock and knob to comfortably get the heel of the hand for a reliable purchase...maybe about an inch? I had these handles made up, but the knob itself is Half Moon/QUOTE]

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Mr. Wiebe;

Thank you for your reply, and i do understand your answer. Looking at the bolt pictures, and the side view of rifle picture gives me a good idea what you are saying. I built rifles a few years back, but got side tracked. I built what some would call OLD SCHOOL rifles with the swept back bolt handle, but the straight down look is really growing on me. Going to make a go at it again, putting shop together. Using a Brownells copy of their bolt jig and never really liked it. Anyway, Again...Thanks for the input, may come up with a rig of my own.

While i'm at it, let me say... Nice Work, hope to see more of it!!! Enjoy

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
MHC_TX;

Thanks for sharring photos with us, Damn fine rifle your getting there...Enjoy!

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Everytime I see Mr. Wiebe's work I am just amazed. Absolutely stunning.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now...that's a jig! A work of art in itself. Mine is similar in application....see the spud with a locating pin in it for cocking notch?
That is kind of the basic requirement, just hold the knob in position for welding The bolt shanks I had made up go into a "square" near the weld...saves a heap of time building up weld, then milling off excess..for me anyway!

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Thanks 22WRF;

That makes me want to do the "JIG" Wink
I like the way the bolt handle itself slides in a dovetail/groove...Good idea!

But with all that metal, where is the heat sink... Big Grin

Thanks guys you've been a big help!

MHC_TX; Didnt step over the bounds of highjacking i hope, here to learn something new and did...Again THANKS for starting this post!