New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sound moderators - which is best
 Login/Join

<Patrick_D>
posted
This topic occurred to me recently, when faced with a rabbit problem which required long-range capability, but low noise (houses nearby). There seems to have been a growth in the market for centre-fire moderators recently, and I would be interested to hear what results people have had, and with which manufacturer.

Patrick

<tictac>
posted
Pat,
I`ve a Remington .243 PSS, 20" barrel with a Vaimeco mod on the front. This is very effective at getting rid of the blast. I can fire this comfortably with no ear defenders all day long. Sounds similar to an unmoded rimfire. Significant reduction in recoil, and accuracy seems better to me, probably due to the drop in kick.Will affect POA though.

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
http://guns.connect.fi/rs/Reflex.html

Patrick, you aren't too far away from these folks, look at their stuff. Hope it helps.

------------------

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
Wish like Hell it was a practical option for US hunters.

Don

<Harry>
posted
I have a Ruger 10/22 with the full treatment from AWC in Phoenix, AZ. Works like a charm for me and my grandkids love the low noise. They won't shoot their 22's...they just try and wear mine out! Jackrabbits at the ranch hate it!
I shoot the regular CCI Mini Mag long rifle hollow points. Work like a charm.
It is stupid what we here in the USA have to go thru in order to own one.
Just in case you US citizens do not know..a corp. can own one without lots of mess. Still have to pay the $200 tax stamp but you do not have to get all the blessings of the top cops in your area.

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
The LEO sign-off has been challenged in court. You can get info at www.subguns.com
Apply for your special "occupational tax" after you have picked out the suppressor you want, the Class III dealer will help with all the paperwork. Simply screw it onto the noise-maker on the muzzle, better known as a "muzzle break". No reason can't have one if you want one. Check regs to see if you can hunt with one.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
I know that if you pay a $200 tax and give the ATF permission to do a no-knock search of your house, and get finger printed and go through an FBI background search you can then legally own a suppressor here in the 'States.

I don't know of a single state in the USA where you can use a sound suppressor (moderator for you Brits ) for hunting game animals.

In some states (Maine?) it is illegal even to have a threaded end on the barrel! They may have changed that in the last ten years, but I have not heard of it.

These laws were originally passed to prevent poaching.

Don

[This message has been edited by Don G (edited 02-18-2002).]

<Cardinal>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Don G:
I know that if you pay a $200 tax and give the ATF permission to do a no-knock search of your house, and get finger printed and go through an FBI background search you can then legally own a suppressor here in the 'States.
[This message has been edited by Don G (edited 02-18-2002).]

The ATF DO NOT have a right to search your house because you own a Title II firearms. Only Dealers have to accept ATF visits.
Check this site for info on the laws: http://www.subguns.com/laws/laws.htm

<thumbtrap>
posted
Regardless of getting Miss CLEO to signoff, most states have their own prohibition of hunting with sound suppressors.

We should be encouraging these things, not regulating the heck out of them anyway.

<Harry>
posted
In TX you can not shoot the mighty deer with one but any critter not requiring a lic. is ok. Skunks, coons, rabbits etc...
It makes good sense to kill the sound when you can...easy on the ears, neighbors are much happier etc. Stupid law in US. They think we are back in the gangster era and are going to zap someone in the baber chair!
No days they would just C4 the chair and hit the button from across the street.

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
I looked at the regs for Alaska Fish & Game and it isn't even mentioned. The usual things are: shotguns over 10 bore, when you can and when not cross-bows, size of arrow heads, starlight scopes ect.

I had thought very seriously about it and contacted an outfit that was supposed to be a licensee of those Norwegian suppressors to make them, about getting one as they seem to have a good idea about size vs. supression. Got an email back pushing me away from them towards company's own products. That and paying $600.00 + "occupational tax". Once I'm out of school I might consider it. Have some bushings made so you own one suppressor but can fit it on several rifles.

[This message has been edited by Roger Rothschild (edited 02-19-2002).]

<Patrick_D>
posted
Thanks to all for the replies.

I was thinking of trying one of the products from these people: http://www.suppressor.co.nz There is a UK distributor already, and a recent write-up in Gun Mart was full of praise for them.

If I do get around to fitting one, I will post the results. (Just to make Don G really sick!)

Thanks again

Patrick

<tictac>
posted
Pat.
If you are after an over barrel set-up have you looked at Jackson Rifles Reflex. The original "Husher" principle from Finland, re-invented by Mr Lapwood.
Its possible for you to have a pop of mine fitted with the Vaime if it helps?

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Patrick,
I was at jackson rifles just after christmas he is the main importer of the reflex suppressor/silencer.He demonstrated the silencer on a 6mm ppc, sounded just like a rimfire!!
the silencer slides over the barrell so that two thirds of it are shrouding the barrell and a third is in front of the muzzle.
Give Peter Jackson a ring on 01644 470223 and i'm sure that he will explain how it works better than i can.

Griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Cardinal>
posted
Patrick, also check out www.brugger-thomet.ch
I got two suppressors from them, a Impulse IIA for my Mark23 and a Type G rifle suppressor for my SIG 551 SWAT, and I love 'em both. I will be buying a sniper rifle suppressor from them, for my HS Precision HTR .300 Win in the spring.

<Patrick_D>
posted
tictac, Griff,

Thanks for your comments. I saw one of these just recently when a pal of mine was fitting it to a .243 Tikka. (He does much of the gunsmithing for a local gunshop). I liked the concept, but I could not get on with the finish - it looked like something from the inside of a heating boiler. Now I know that aesthetics are always compromised when you fit a moderator, but I don't think it needs to have that sort of finish. The ones I mentioned in NZ are also available in the UK, and they also do a small-volume overbarrel in alloy, suitable for all rounds up to .223 / PPC. As I will probably put this on a .222, that sounds ideal - and it only weighs in at 10 ounces. I can get one here: http://www.jmsarms.f9.co.uk/cat.htm

JMS sell a number of different makes, so it may be I should ask their opinion. Chances are it will be the most expensive/ugliest that comes out best!

Patrick

one of us
posted Hide Post
Patrick,

Not (IMHO) a good choice! Sealed steel unit=no ability to clean=rapid loss of accuracy, rust and danger.

The reflex suffers from this problem too. The build up of carbon causes the unit to become louder and less accurate. Unless you have an ultrasonic cleaner sealed steel is BAD.

I have personal experience of Vaime which are excellent and a Vaime copy by Adenbourne of Witney which is excellent and a 1/3 lighter. Yours for �140 (�150 for threading)

BUT with acceptable handling you're talking 17 or 18" barrel and then you're in HV22rf unsilenced territory which is not really quiet. Even for one off use on a normal 24" barrel where the muzzle blast is truly tamed, there are problems due to change of zero.

My 222rem is not a lot louder than my moderated 18" 243. The neighbours when they comment all remark on the crack and not the boom (never even mentioned)The rabbits will soon associate the noise with danger and only present you with 2-4 shots anyhow.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Patrick_D>
posted

The aforementioned moderators by PES do, as I understand, dismantle. They also have an ally model. So cleaning/rust should not be such an issue. The problem I'm trying to tackle is a combination of geography and housing, whereby I either get in close and use a house as a backstop, or I move further away and need centrefire to do the job reliably. This is a piece of ground where we're undertaking a little pest control on invitation, so once the job is done I won't be going back too often - thus education of the rabbits should hopefully not be an issue. I do take your point about the crack versus the boom, but I'd still rather have a quieter report if I'm sitting out close to someone's home. In any case the .222 still makes my ears ring when I'm out foxing, and I'd sooner have the option to avoid that if I can. So this has other attractions for me than just rabbitting.

Patrick

<tictac>
posted
As I said, my Vaime is on a 20" barrel .243 and this very significantly drops the noise. Impact moves, in my case 1.5 MOA high, its constant so I dial the turrets if its fitted.It can be tight to remove after firing mind.
Have an ultrasonic bath if any ones interested. I last used it on my SAKO mod that would not come apart, 20 mins in the bath in cutting oil and that sorted that.

------------------