THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Oberndorf Mauser Claw Mounts??? - Update and More Photos

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oberndorf Mauser Claw Mounts??? - Update and More Photos
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just picked up this rifle and I would like to mount a scope on it. Who is the best at building reproduction Oberndorf Mauser claw rings for the original bases?

By the way, I thought I would never find one of these guns. Oh happy day!

Jeff

Posts: 603 | Location: Louisiana USA | Registered: 24 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Try these folks. I'm sure they're very pricey and I don't know if they fit them or not. I'd call them and ask for particulars.

http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/

You'll have to click on "Scope Mounts" and scroll down to the blue colored "Claw Mounts" and click on that.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Lots of people can do a good job. NECG is one, Lee LeBas is another. L&L Enterprises

And JJ at Champli's in Enid, OK. Those are the most commonly named. I'm sure Duane Weibe can too. Ralph Matini, on and on.

Severalof the postershere can do it too like Z1r, Jim Kobe and more.

Time and money; that's all they'll want.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jawheeler:
I just picked up this rifle and I would like to mount a scope on it. Who is the best at building reproduction Oberndorf Mauser claw rings for the original bases?

By the way, I thought I would never find one of these guns. Oh happy day!

Jeff

Check www.griffinhowe.com

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I'm interested in a source too but also a source for the rear quick release mechanism. I have an Oberndorf sporter but it is missing the claw mount innards.

Hope you don't mind my piggybacking on your thread.

Nice rifle by the way.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
A source for that will be rare. I think it will have to be reverse engineered. I have a Rigby 303 action circa 1899 with a similar rear-post ring arragement but lever-release instead of push-button. I still can't find anything commercial remotely close in nature. Gonna be mucho-chippo project for huntingcat.

Z1r, I'm going to send you the Win 52 for the bolt handle if you're still willing but I have to finish the bottom metal first. It will change the depth of the stock and I want to be sure the handle is proportional in length to the finished rifle. Thanks.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh happy day indeed! I can't help with the claw ring question but congrats on that find... what caliber is it? Looks like it was made yesterday.

TG

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well TMG I've had a chance to research this gun a little. It is an 8x57S Type B double square bridge and is the same gun photographed and featured on page 177 chapter 13 of Jon Speeds book The Mauser Archive. Made August, 1944 serial number 126407. You can imagine my surprise to turn the page and see the gun in Speeds book. It is also mentioned in volume I in the list near the back of that book. It makes it pretty special to me.

Posts: 603 | Location: Louisiana USA | Registered: 24 August 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Mike,
there's a couple ebay parts sellers still selling claw mount bases, from time to time, and they are AMAZINGLY simple ... in fact, like a spliting wedge, when you get it, they are perfect and could not be designed any better, btu wow are they simple.

However, making the rings is another issue! every set has to be custom fit to be perfect with the bases.
jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39669 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
I think you will find here something usefull for those clawmounts;

http://www.recknagel.de/produkteenglisch.htm

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
jawheeler,
Nice rifle!

Just remember that unless you are going for a straight tube scope, like a 1,5-5x20 Leupold,
your scope will be mounted ridiculously to high and to far to the rear.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I beleive Gary Stiles just completed a project like this for a customer...on several rifles. You might give him a call.

Gary

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Made August, 1944 serial number 126407.

Somebody had some serious pull to get a sporting rifle out of the Oberndorf factory in August of 1944. Reading through Speed's book, I wondered about this very situation. A few sporters were still being produced very late in the war. I wonder who was in a position to even have the need for one.

In any event, that's a very nice rifle and I'm glad it found you. Does this mean we'll see it for sale soon???

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
quote:

Somebody had some serious pull to get a sporting rifle out of the Oberndorf factory in August of 1944. Reading through Speed's book, I wondered about this very situation. A few sporters were still being produced very late in the war. I wonder who was in a position to even have the need for one.

In any event, that's a very nice rifle and I'm glad it found you. Does this mean we'll see it for sale soon???

Forrest,

This one is a keeper. But, I will have a few other Oberndorf Mauser guns from my collection go to the auction block. I have to be careful how much money I have tied up in these guns, it can get out of hand quick.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
quote:

Mine is dated April 44, a type S in 7x57 on a standard length action. Single square bridge. I wonder if the rear scope base ever had teh guts? There is no front base.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is dated April 44, a type S in 7x57 on a standard length action. Single square bridge. I wonder if the rear scope base ever had teh guts? There is no front base.[/QUOTE]

z1r,

Your gun may never have had the parts installed especially if there is no evidence of a front base having been installed. Is there any sign that it may have had a base attached to the barrel shank?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had a chance to really look the gun over since it arrived. It is interesting to note that some obvious shortcuts were taken in this late production gun. For example the trigger guard is not contoured and many parts are not completely finished ie machine marks showing. Action is not as smooth as my pre wwI and pre wwII guns. I like the solid side rail action and double square bridges though.

Here are a few more pics.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Z1r check your pms.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
is that the normal bolt handle they put on those??

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cummins cowboy:
is that the normal bolt handle they put on those??

Yes, the very late production commercial guns had that type bolt handle. It is actually bent a little lower and better to clear a scope.