Tools

Stop buying Cooper firearms?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
Here's a copy of the email that I sent:

Mr. Cooper,

I read in disbelief your support for Barak Obama in USA Today and was completely disgusted by it. Giving your support to a Senator with an "F" rating from the NRA who has worked his entire political life on gutting the Second Amendment compels me to write this email.

Be assured that Cooper Firearms will never get a dime from me and that I will work on convincing anyone that I can to not to do business with your company also.

I'm sure that Smith&Wesson and Jim Zumbo both remember when they turned their backs on firearms owners.

Frank XXXXXXX

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe Mr Cooper makes less than $250K and wants a tax break. Where did you see he is supporting bam-bam?

I argee his support could come back and bite him in the butt.

Posts: 225 | Location: AZ | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DFC:
Where did you see he is supporting bam-bam?

[QUOTE]

Here:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2008-10-27-prez-money_N.htm

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ladies and Gentlemen:

I have never understood this precedent, which seems to linger in some businessmens' and businesswomens' minds, and literally explodes in Hollywood: How can I publicly avow my political position, and not affect my market position?

Mr. Cooper, as evidenced by the USA article, seems to have fallen into that trap. He's going to hate the upcoming recession coupled with annoyed gun buyers, who will go elsewhere, and leave the Cooper rifle on the rack.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sjm
posted Hide Post
Maybe he wants a goverment contract after obama gets in?

12x12/9.3x74R

Posts: 134 | Location: Melbourne,Victoria,Australia | Registered: 11 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I feel that I cant do much and nobody listens to me....

But there is one thing I can do -- I promise, I will NEVER EVER buy a firearm made by Mr. Cooper!

Posts: 163 | Location: Mississippi USA | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks LHook7, I should have put the link to the article in my OP.

Email Cooper at : info@cooperfirearms.com

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Here's a copy of the email that I sent:

Mr. Cooper,

I read in disbelief your support for Barak Obama in USA Today and was completely disgusted by it. Giving your support to a Senator with an "F" rating from the NRA who has worked his entire political life on gutting the Second Amendment compels me to write this email.

Be assured that Cooper Firearms will never get a dime from me and that I will work on convincing anyone that I can to not to do business with your company also.

I'm sure that Smith&Wesson and Jim Zumbo both remember when they turned their backs on firearms owners.

Frank XXXXXXX

thumb

Thanks for the heads up Frank. I was planning on ordering a Cooper in the very near future. I just sent a similar message to Cooper.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
I'm not going to stop buying them...just not gonna start.

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
His ass will think twice about it when he is put out of business because of Obama's hatred of guns. This is shitting in one's own bed.

_Baxter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I actually cancelled the order for two rifles in 221 and 17 Fireball. I'd rather pay extra for a custom built rifle made by Patriots than donate to this wretch.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, he pissed in his own mess kit.. That is DUMB..

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
another view... His ass will think twice when, because of his support of Obama and regardless of Obama's policies, the very gun owners that buttered his bread put him out of business. How embarrassing for this to happens when a pro-gun guy like McCain gets in.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Just curious, did he respond to your email?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is he going to make a presentation gun for Obama ?? Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
That article makes me want to drive north and knock talk some sense into the puke fellow. Maybe we can contact the distributors of his product and let them know that we refuse to support anyone who carries his stuff.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
That article makes me want to drive north and knock talk so sense into the puke fellow. Maybe we can contact the distributors of his product and let them know that we refuse to support anyone who carries his stuff.

oooo, I like that idea. I'm all for it.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
NOW, THAT IS PURE... bsflag

AND DAMN DUMB OF HIM TO DO! homer

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a copy of my e-mail:

Mr. Daniel Cooper,

Sir, I am sorry to say that I will no longer be telling others about your otherwise fine products!

I own a 57-M in 22 lr that I have let anyone who wants to shoot a fine 22, try out. This rifle has
brought about the sale of more of your rifles, ( I do not know the exact # ).

I can not do business with a Company, like yours, who endorses someone who is so totality out
of step with my beliefs. My prayers go with the good people who work for you, that you just put
into jeopardy. Sir, regardless of who wins this election, I will no longer be an advicate for your
Company.

Respectfully, Douglas R XXXXXX

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Hmmm

Just showed this to my wife. She told me that Santa Clause was changing directions.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know at least one vendor who supplies a key component to Cooper rifles who is going to be really pissed. I just forwarded the link to him.

Posts: 603 | Location: Louisiana USA | Registered: 24 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
FrownerI love my guns and the use of them for at least 65 years. If it came to keeping my guns or loosing one more human life for oil and Chaney's wealth** bye bye guns. Sorry but that's the way I feel.

This may not be popular on this forum but that's my focus on what we are looking at. I pray that whomever is elected has the stones to take the right path and that means the big picture and not just gun legistration. Roll Eyes sorry guys but that is my take on it. fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someone told me Saeed donated to Obama as well. is this true? not that I would be surprised mind you.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
FrownerI love my guns and the use of them for at least 65 years. If it came to keeping my guns or loosing one more human life for oil and Chaney's wealth** bye bye guns. Sorry but that's the way I feel.

This may not be popular on this forum but that's my focus on what we are looking at. I pray that whomever is elected has the stones to take the right path and that means the big picture and not just gun legistration. Roll Eyes sorry guys but that is my take on it. fishingroger

no further comment needed

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I didn't think that foreigners were able to donate to the Presidential election. Isn't that against federal law? As to Mr. Cooper, he has certainly made a big mistake. Bartsche: Be careful what you ask for. Your wish may come true. By the way, it's Cheney, not Chaney; maybe you were thinking of Lon Chaney. dancing dancing

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
FrownerI love my guns and the use of them for at least 65 years. If it came to keeping my guns or loosing one more human life for oil and Chaney's wealth** bye bye guns.

I have 2 kids in Iraq as we speak, on their 3rd tour, and neither one is hauling oil. And to disparage one of the biggest pro gun advocates on a gun forum is beyond belief.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Mr. Cooper were making $200 rifles marketed through WalMart he probably wouldn't notice anything. Being that he's in a rather small segment of the market to begin with AND that segment is more likely to notice and react to this, I think he'll soon realize that whatever his PERSONAL political beliefs giving this interview was a really, really dumb business decission! And that will hold true no matter who wins the election.
I say pissers on him!

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eurocentric:
Someone told me Saeed donated to Obama as well. is this true? not that I would be surprised mind you.

It is illegal for Presidential Canidates to accept donations from Foreigners such as Saeed. Of course this hasn't stopped Obama from accepting them by the millions..............................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Westpac: Thank you for your family's service in Iraq. You and they are true patriots. God bless you and your family. patriot patriot patriot patriot

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Just tried to find the Cooper Website. Noted that on Wikpedia (sp?) somebody has already sabotaged it.

When I did find a link to Cooper Arms this is what I found. Sounds like some damage control to me and/or speaking out of both sides of his mouth.

http://www.cooperfirearms.com/

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
From another site with associated links, enough said:

Daniel Cooper - Montana and there were three in Stevensville MT (one as Cooper Arms owner, one as CFI Montana. From the way they are grouped I believe them to be the same person)

Total contributions $3100 - $2100 for Morrison of Montana in 2006 (the state auditor) and $1000 to Obama for Illinois in 2004.

If we go to http://www.campaignmoney.com/ and search on Daniel Cooper in 08 in either the zip code 59870 or Montana you find no records

If you go to

http://elections.nytimes.com/2008/president/campaign-fi...h-contributions.html and search on Daniel Cooper you find this.

COOPER, DAN Stevensville MT 59870 COOPER ARMS $200 Barack Obama
13 COOPER, DAN Stevensville MT 59870 COOPER ARMS $-200 Barack Obama
14 COOPER, DAN Stevensville MT 59870 COOPER ARMS $200 Barack Obama
15 COOPER, DAN Stevensville MT 59870 COOPER ARMS $50 Barack Obama
16 COOPER, DAN Stevensville MT 59870 COOPER ARMS $1,000 Barack Obama
17 COOPER, DAN Stevensville MT 59870 COOPER ARMS $-900 Barack Obama
18 COOPER, DAN Stevensville MT 59870 COOPER ARMS $900 Barack Obama
19 COOPER, DAN Stevensville MT 59870 COOPER ARMS $60.6 Barack Obama
20 COOPER, DAN Stevensville MT 59870 COOPER ARMS $-60.6 Barack Obama
21 COOPER, DAN Stevensville MT 59870 COOPER ARMS $60.6 Barack Obama
22 COOPER, DAN Stevensville MT 59870 COOPER ARMS $32.59 Barack Obama
23 COOPER, DAN Stevensville MT 59870 COOPER ARMS $-32.59 Barack Obama
24 COOPER, DAN Stevensville MT 59870 COOPER ARMS $32.59 Barack Obama
25 COOPER, DAN Stevensville MT 59870 COOPER ARMS $50 Barack Obama
26 COOPER, DAN Stevensville MT 59870 COOPER ARMS $2,100 Barack Obama

If you go here http://www.opensecrets.org/ and check on Daniel or Dan Cooper yo get this

COOPER, DAN
STEVENSVILLE,MT 59870 COOPER ARMS/PRESIDENT / CEO 4/15/08 $200 Obama, Barack (D)
COOPER, DAN
STEVENSVILLE,MT 59870 COOPER ARMS/PRESIDENT / CEO 4/15/08 $200 Obama, Barack (D)
COOPER, DAN
STEVENSVILLE,MT 59870 COOPER ARMS/PRESIDENT / CEO 4/15/08 $-200 Obama, Barack (D)

He can take his guns and stick them...jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Here's what the website says now.

Regarding the USA Today Article. Cooper Firearms of Montana, Inc. did not contribute and does not support in any fashion the campaign of Senator Obama.

Nine months ago Dan Cooper (personally) made an online donation to the campaign in an effort to help defeat Hillary Clinton and in protest of American plant closures and the shipping of jobs overseas. Three months ago he made yet another donation to the McCain campaign and the RNC totaling over twice that given to Obama campaign.

There is no doubt that the article in USA Today has caused a considerable response. To this end we are encouraged and stand with our fellow NRA members and supporters of the Second Amendment and against those who oppose it.

Here's what the USA Today article says:

This year, Cooper has given $3,300 to the campaign of Democrat Barack Obama. That's on top of the $1,000 check he wrote to Obama's U.S. Senate campaign in 2004, after he was dazzled by Obama's speech at that year's Democratic National Convention.

Cooper is a player in one of the little-told dramas of the 2008 presidential campaign: how Obama has been able to out-raise Republican John McCain among swaths of the business community, outperforming previous Democratic presidential nominees in drawing business support.

Cooper changed sides, he said, "probably because of the war. And also because the Republican Party has moved so far right in recent years."

He also likes Obama's message about "the retooling of America, which involves the building of middle-class jobs and helping American small business be competitive with those overseas."

Frank

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
If you guys are pissed, how do you think his employees feel right now?

I'd have more respect for Dan Cooper if he stood his ground and defended his support for Obama. The double-talk on his website is pretty cowardly.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think he's getting the message. The retraction on his website wasn't there 2 hours before when I checked it to get their E-Mail address. He may have made a contribution to the McCain campaign after getting all the negative E-Mails etc. and they haven't had time to post on the FEC site yet.................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like Mr Cooper would make a wonderful politition himself!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe Cooper is bucking for a juicy military contract under a new administration. I'm not buying his stuff under any circumstance.

Posts: 317 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 09 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Does it show anywhere if Obama made a contribution to Cooper? May sway some votes for some gun owners who dont know the facts if they see a gun builder supporting Obama. I personally take my NRA ballot lists to the polls with me! God Bless us all in this election! Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Maybe Cooper is trying to curry favor so his company's products will be excluded from those "reasonable" regulations on firearms that Obama has in mind?

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
made an online donation to the campaign in an effort to help defeat Hillary Clinton

WTF!? The is the old 'The enemy of my enemy is my friend' bullshit. What kind of critical thinking/judgement failure is this? This guy has just been caught with his whacker in his hand and is trying to convince you he's taking a pee..

what a moron...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Dan Cooper is stepping into it big time. I guess if he so believes in an anti gun Obama that he is willing to put his business (and employees) at risk I give him credit for his beliefs. I think many/all gun owners will react accordingly and Coooper will see it in their sales. I love my Cooper LVT 17HMR but that will the last Cooper I buy.

IMO one doesn't piss off/alienate their customers!! Not a good way to build/keep a business.

John

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote