Find
Notify
Tools

dropped magazine
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
I want to put a dropped magazine like this one on my Winchester M-70 .375 H&H. Anybody know of anyone who makes one???

This is Steve Robinson's rifle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36870 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would check with Duane Wiebe, he is working on a project now that may suit your needs.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont thinks Duane's comes with tape.... Smiler

James

Posts: 130 | Location: Floresville,TX. | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
How much magazine capacity are you looking for?

That looks like about 6 or 7 down.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I can see it now........ A pre 64 Win M70 with a banana clip hanging out of it Big Grin

If you build it like the one in the pic That would be cool. but keep it tasteful

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
The one above is a .500 Jeff...belongs to Steve Robinson. I think it holds 3 down.

I think it looks very tasteful myself. I would like to build one that holds five .375's down.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36870 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
That is an unusual design, but looks cool.

I say it would be better to do bottom metal with a removable clip - that way you can drop a low profile one in that blends with the lines of the rifle, or if you're in a Tarzan movie and need to shoot a bunch of lions and restless natives, you can drop the big daddy in and shoot away.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3061 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Or you can start with an action that holds five .375s down in the first place.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Charles,

Quit being practical.

J. Lane,

I know nothing of a 500 Jeffrey but I gotta belive that holds well more than three down.

If you only want to hold five down and can settle for 4 down you can probably accomplish that with a coffin floor plate and I believe Duane is contemplating making those.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
The one above is a .500 Jeff...belongs to Steve Robinson. I think it holds 3 down.

I think it looks very tasteful myself. I would like to build one that holds five .375's down.

Buy a CZ; it holds 5 375's down.

Or better yet, five .416 Rem.'s down.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19334 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Guys,

It holds 3 in the mag and the reason we didn't go for a removeable mag is that there's always the chance it'll fall out at an inconvenient moment..... like when something big n ugly is trying to stamp on you.

The floorplate is hinged and held closed by an allen screw and lock washer and I carry a cut down allen screw in my trapdoor in the stock.

The tape is a bit of bush gunsmithing to hold two small pieces of neoprene in appropriate places to stop the rifle biting me when I shoot it.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
J. Lane,

I know nothing of a 500 Jeffrey but I gotta belive that holds well more than three down.

quote:
Guys,

It holds 3 in the mag

Mike_D,
BOOM sometimes...you believe wrong

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Guys,

For all the other advice...I have taken this specific .375 H&H on every trip i have taken to Africa.

I shoots well, I have killed a lot stuff with it, and NOW it has sentimental value. A .375 H&H is a very practical rifle as my second rifle for dangerous game hunts.

I would not trade it for a CZ and all the tea in China!!!

The only thing that would make it a better rifle for me is if it held 5 in the magazine.

I think Steves rifle looks very appealing and I could see a "dropped magazine" like this on my .375

Not looking to change rifles...looking for help with this project!!!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
J. Lane,

To help you with your reading comprehension "beliefs" aren't ever "wrong". That is why they are beliefs.

Beliefs can be inaccurate or incorrect.

They may not represent facts or someone else may believe something else but they are not "wrong". Big Grin

Steve,

Are the cartidge in line or staggered in that magazine.?

What it the actual depth of the magazine?

Mike

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Mike

3 directly on top of each other and not staggered.

Rough dimensions with a tape measure rather than calipers are from bottom of stock to bottom of extended mag (exterior) = 13/16 ths.

From bottom of depressed floorplate to bottom of the bolt = 2 inches.

The mag was made by a friend of mine in Wales without him ever having the rifle in his hands to try anything. We did it all by my sending him a loooong series of very complicated measurements and when it arrived, it just dropped in with a pretty much perfect wood to metal fit...... and it feeds absolutely perfectly.

He's a clever old bugger!

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Pretty amazing stuff. What kind of rifle is it. I don't recognize the left handed action.

Mike

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
It's a Weatherby action that started life as a 416 Wea and got remade to a .500 Jeffery by Sabi Rifles in Nelspruit RSA when I got fed up with the original calibre not stopping animals at ultra close range.

Must have bought it new in about the late 80s and had it rebuilt in about 2000.

The older it gets and the more fucked up it looks, the better it performs...... or maybe that could be said of me as well as the rifle. rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Have custom bottom metal built and get a stock that will handle the dropped floor plate, all custom of course then it won't look too bad and still have a magnum African rifle look to it.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane,
have you checked with lex weberneck(sp.) (guns inc.) he's in Dallas.

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve's rifle has a lot of carector and will put a whooppen on stuff two.

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
To help you with your reading comprehension "beliefs" aren't ever "wrong". That is why they are beliefs.

Thank you for the lesson Mike... bewildered

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
have you checked with lex weberneck(sp.) (guns inc.) he's in Dallas.

No...thought something similar might be made already. I might just make it myself.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have custom bottom metal built and get a stock that will handle the dropped floor plate, all custom of course then it won't look too bad and still have a magnum African rifle look to it.

I like the stock it has. That is why Steve's magazine appeals to me. Plus I think Steve's rifle has a real eye-appeal to it...better than the traditional "magnum African rifle look".

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
It's a Weatherby action that started life as a 416 Wea and got remade to a .500 Jeffery by Sabi Rifles in Nelspruit RSA when I got fed up with the original calibre not stopping animals at ultra close range. :

Steve, what was the failure mode of the 416? I'm quite curious, have heard various folks say various things about both the velocity and the bullet construction. I've had good luck with various 50s and 45s in the past and was considering a 41 but your dissatisfaction is disturbing to me. Can you expand?
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Joe,

It wasn't really a failure. Just that the bullet would either not stop the animal or would put him down but then he'd get up again and again..... basically I think it was mostly a bullet speed problem.

I had about 3 or 4 buff in about a 10 or 12 day period where the buggers just wouldn't stay down so decided enough was enough and had the rifle rebuilt into a .500 soon thereafter.

The .500 puts 'em down an absolute treat and once down, they stay down.

I had the .500 built to my own specification and made to measure and that also makes an immense difference. The rifle is short as hell with a 19 inch barrel and is built to stop charges at short range and nothing else. - I reckon I got the design just right for what I wanted.

If I were looking for a rifle for hunting rather than hunting professionally, I'd go for a 416 or a 458. If I could afford it, I'd go for a made to measure rifle from someone like Sabi Rifles who made both of my rifles as it makes an immense difference to fit....... esp for me because as Hook will tell you, I'm far from a 'standard size'. I'm short, broad and long armed.

If you're more like a standard size you can get away with a factory rifle and frankly you don't need to spend a fortune to get a straight shooter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply, Steve. Sounds like a lack of momentum rather than energy or bullet failure. I've always liked bullet weight rather than velocity but was curious whether the increased velocity of the Weatherby 416 would cause problems with bullets designed for less.

My experience with various 45s and 50s has been good so far but has been limited to 5K fpme and animals less than 600 lbs, not really any test.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Joe,

I also like slow 'n heavy over light 'n fast and think the 416 was just too fast at those very close ranges...... and the slow 'n heavy .500 really does work well for me.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I bet you could put a floor plate latch on that dropped mag floor plate similar the ones on Kimbers & Whitworths with the spring loaded lever in the fore of the trigger guard.

What do you think???

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't recommend it buddy. Any sprung catch can come undone at a bad moment. I'd either go for a fixed floorplate or one like mione which is hinged and held shut with an allen screw etc.

FWIW, The original Weatherby floorplate with a sprung release catch is famous for dropping the rounds when the rifle is fired. It happened to both me and Peter (the guy who made my extended mag) a few times. In the end, I taped my original one shut until his version arrived in the post.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Westley Richards made these in .425 for years and years. They'd probably make one even now - for the right price. Wink

Here are a few photos of a used .425 that's for sale right now on the WR website:

From what I can tell, it appears that the floorplate release catch is an elongated, probably spring loaded, button.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13483 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A local gunsmith built an exaggerated drop floorplate for a customer based on a Ruger RSM 458 Lott. I believe it was to hold four extra cartridges. Last I heard it was difficult to get reliable feeding with that many shells. Getting the correct spring pressure to handle a full magazine was difficult. The smith told me "never again".

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:

Here are a few photos of a used .425 that's for sale right now on the WR website:

From what I can tell, it appears that the floorplate release catch is an elongated, probably spring loaded, button.

It's interesting to see a 425 built on an FN commercial action. I didn't know WR did that. No one likes the FN commercial action more than I, but I wonder if the original buyer realized that Sears was selling bargin priced rifles built on the exact same action.
Big Grin

The dropped mag looks like a Namibian made 404 I saw in Zimbabwe. IIRC the extended box on that 404 was made by cutting off the trigger guard, the front tang and then cutting the top of the box off military box, leaving only about .75" of depth in the box. This "lower skirt" was then welded to the bottom of another military box. The military floor-plate fit on the box.

It looks like the same thing was done on the WR in the photo, except that they used an FN bottom metal and added a transition from the front of the box to the actual bottom metal. The floor plate and latch/plunger look like standard FN commercial pieces.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That piece of bottom metal is without doubt, the ugliest thing I have ever seen added to a gun.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
That piece of bottom metal is without doubt, the ugliest thing I have ever seen added to a gun.

Which Steves or the WR???

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:

I concur, and I'm referring to the Weatherby. As an engineer I once knew would on occasion say, "It's fine as far as
form, fit, and function goes, but it looks like shit."

But, it's not my rifle.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
weatehrby offers a "3 down" for the 460 class .. its an aluminum version of the above .. i think it was 40 bucks .. its an option on the 460 rifle .. and yeah, its just 3 down, in a single stack

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The one you posted. The other was a close second.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sorry you don't like it but the good news is I do and I'm the one that has to use and look at it.

It doesn't happen very often, but on those rare occasions when one needs the extra shot that magazine provides and the animal is bearing down on you with what appears to be evil intent and at speed, that extended mag suddenly becomes the most beautiful thing in the entire universe! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like I've said before, it's a question of whether you REALLY want to succeed regardless, or whether you just want to look good to your girl friends while maybe failing. I don't think the buff will care how it looks, at all.......
Regards, Joe

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
The one you posted. The other was a close second.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder as I actually think it is appealing to the eye as a good tool.

Anyway...who cares...I am looking for help on building one for a Winchester Model 70 Classic in .375 H&H to hold 5 down and I don't want it to please anyone except myself.

J. Lane Easter, DVM