New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dual stock duplication?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The question is, does anyone know of a person that will duplicate a stock with one type exterior and a second type of inletting. Let me explain, I have a Winchester Featherweight stock that I would like duplicated, but I want it inletted for a 98 mauser.

Does anyone know someone who will do it? I know Jeffe has been kind enough to meld two different exteriors for me (for a fee, of course Smiler ), but I need one exterior and a different inletting, and I just don't want to do it by hand myself.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check with Mike Kokolus, he posts here sometimes. Google "stock duplicating" for his web site. First class work.

......civilize 'em with a Krag

Posts: 291 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I will try them both.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Royal Arms Gunstocks

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Larry,
is the featherweight to be a pattern, or do you want to reuse it back on a winchester?

It's not a really tough job, but the prep works is where all the time is, to get the mauser setup in the same planes as the other...

that is, at least for me.. mike, however, might have that laying aroung.

TO make the lines flow, it will need to be a winchester long (or standard) but not short action, if it is a newer (classic) one...

I did kinda this for my youngest's 458 win... the bolt handle hit the nose pretty bad and had to be reshaped.

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38470 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe, yes the featherweight is to be the pattern. If I could re-use it on the Win, fine, but I have a real nice piece of english I could use for that. I know the steup is the bitch, but I was thinking it could be started from the back trigger guard hole and go forward...but then again, I am certainly not the expert on such things.

The other alternative is to "hog and bondo" the featherweight, for the pattern. I thought about that too.

Larry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
larrys-

John Vest could do this.

He's a top-of-the-line stock cutter, though, who taught at Susanville, and he's busy, and his rates aren't cheap.

You would, I'd guess, get back a stock of surpassing beauty.

flaco

one of us
posted Hide Post
have you considered making the stock from the blank? It is a great way to learn more about stocks and what is involved in making them, and it is a very rewarding experience.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys:
......The other alternative is to "hog and bondo" the featherweight, for the pattern. I thought about that too.

OUCH!!!

Everything I have learned I had to learn on my own so this could really show my ignorance, but in the past when I had to do this I copied the pattern stock (your featherweight) to a piece of pine and then hogged out the pine stock and bondo'ed the action into place while making adjustments. I glued some pieces of walnut on the butt and forend for the spindle centers.

Removing massive amounts of pine are easy and if the pattern stock is not to be used many times this method works for me.

If you can do the hog and bondo work, you may not have much into a pattern stock?

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marc, yes, I have thought about that. I have done a couple from blanks and I thought I'd see if someone else could make it easier (for me, of course). Chic has helped me through the process, and you are correct, it certainly is rewarding, especially with Chic's guidance. I guess I'm just lazy right now.

flaco, thanks. I'll contact him.

pdhntr1, You are correct, I guess I should have said I would hog and bondo a featherweight pattern stock I have, not the original.

Larry

one of us
posted Hide Post
nope-not lazy, just working smart. Glad to hear you have made a stock from the blank in the past and I sure understand what you are doing here. Good job!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote