New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping Long Guns
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What are people paying/doing about the cost of shipping long guns? I use UPS and I am now paying $80-90 to ship/insure a $1000 long gun in a hard case, by ground. $20 of that is the surcharge for over 48". If I ship in a card box, I can sometimes get the package down to 46" and that's running around $55-60. Break down guns ditto. Higher value guns easily over $100 now. I have an account with UPS but they only give me around 10% discount. This is around double what it was costing in the not too distant past, and it's hurting the buyer to the point where buying a firearm long distance is prohibitive unless it's worth $2000 or more.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The USPS can ship a about 1/2 the cost with better insurance....Trouble is some stumble f.... postmaster may calim it's not popssible to ship guns.

I have an open claim on such "interperation" against the Libertyville, IL Post Master..Been almost a year and NO RESPONSE to even follow up communications.

Lotsa of ways to "control" guns !

Posts: 3503 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I no longer ship UPS because since they banned all shipment of any firearms part, I was going to register with them, but all I got was emails from a guy in India, so I quit.
I now ship everything USPS. And never an assembled gun. And never tell them it's a firearm; all you have to certify is the "Nothing liquid, potentially hazardous, fragile, etc" statement. The girls here all know I ship lots of jeep parts, which I do. Mainly Axles.

Posts: 17173 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
add the disclaimer... :::... example.... instead of shipping to Carrols' Guns... ship to Carrols

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2832 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Oh, NEVER put the word GUNS, FIREARMS, or even Sporting Goods on a box!!! That is like waving a red flag at a bull.
It is against USPS regulations to do so anyway. Their drivers steal too many of them that way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Propbably well known, but if you send a registered package via USPS, they are preety anal about each and every seam being sealed with printable tape.

It's now possble to get a pressure sensitive version rather than the old "water activated"

Posts: 3503 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I use Priority Mail, only. And duct tape.

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):

I have an open claim on such "interperation" against the Libertyville, IL Post Master..Been almost a year and NO RESPONSE to even follow up communications.

I'm guessing that's because you may not be the person that attempted to ship from Libertyville. Oh the irony in the location. I've been told by USPS that only the person attempting to ship can file a claim.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1844 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pirateship.com is what I have been using lately for all shipments. I dont ship a lot of guns, but have used them for guns. Prices are much better and they show you the prices of your package for different carriers.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I hope you never have to file a claim against UPS after using a third party service to ship firearms components. Without being registered with them as a firearms dealer/shipper.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I hope you never have to file a claim against UPS after using a third party service to ship firearms components. Without being registered with them as a firearms dealer/shipper.

They offer both UPS and USPS. When it comes to firearms and compnents I use the USPS option, it is always less expensive. Matter of fact USPS is the less expensive option nine time out of ten. I ship mostly deal with optics so its not an issue

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When shipping Priority Mail try to keep the package length less than 30 inches. Otherwise the Post Office will tack on a “oversized” fee.

I shipped a barrel today using the box from the Post Office. It was 36 inches by 3 inches square. The barrel was 24 inches so I added extra packing. Should have cut the box to 30 inches or less. Shipping was $14, the oversized fee was $15. Now I know better.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 961 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WoW! A dollar more.

In this day and age when you have to pay a teenager $15-20 and hour to say

"WOULD YOU LIKE TO SUPER SIZE THAT" It is a real bargain! Confused Roll Eyes Eeker

Hip

Posts: 1862 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
$14+$15=$29

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1844 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see said the blind man!

Hip

Posts: 1862 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Oh, no.....cut the box....
Not a dollar more; FIFTEEN more!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah… $15 more. That the reason they sell 36 inch boxes instead of 30 inch boxes!

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 961 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Bastards; and I also fell for that USPS scam once too. I didn't even know what or why it cost $29 until I looked at the receipt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):

I'm guessing that's because you may not be the person that attempted to ship from Libertyville. Oh the irony in the location. I've been told by USPS that only the person attempting to ship can file a claim.

Might be...I did not file a CLAIM, I filed a COMPLAINT The complaint was ackno;dged and sent to some other office...tht's where it apparently "died"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just info...Fed EX has a new and EASIER format for shipping....This is a bad joke...even the "help'" guy could not get through the process..but then again I could hardly understand his English..

When I finally doped it out, 3 day select with a declared calue of $5000.....was quoted $10555.00.

Another call to Fed Ex..I was told the max value is now $1000.00.

I told the client he simply had to get his own insurance...I'll then ship with the 1K limit.

The bright side? Buden is forming a Gun violence office...Can hardly wait!

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Per the advise of the members of this forum, I shipped a rifle alllll the way across the country earlier this year via USPS. Packaged in a hard case inside a cardboard box, it made the trip successfully (PA or OR). Cost was around $120 if I recall correctly and that was with $3k worth of insurance. My local country post office was very accommodating.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I was recently quoted $254 to ship a long gun in a take down case halfway across the country by USPS Registered Mail with $50K of insurance, which is the most available.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13472 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just rough measured a Win. barreled .30-06 action with 22" barrel-----30 1/2 ". Could put it kinda caddy corner in a box but there would be no protection for the muzzle or the tang.

Kinda got you coming or going!

Shipped today 37" Priority Mail----$24.45 plus $15.00 ITEM OVER STANDARD LENGTH.

But be Happy-----Biden will put the money to a good cause-----Illegal Aliens---free food, clothes, housing, medical care, schooling etc.

Hip

Hip

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Be prepared when trying to ship a long gun through the post office. I've dealt with too many postal employees who don't know their own regulations I always download and print out a copy of the postal regs regarding shipping guns. A couple of years ago I went to my local PO to ship a rifle. When asked what was in the package I said "a rifle" and was immediately told by the clerk that it's illegal to ship guns by the PO. I then asked for his supervisor who told me the same thing.

I then produced a copy of their own regs. and politely informed them that they were both wrong. After reviewing their own regs. the clerk then tells me that the regs. require the gun to be shipped to an FFL. I tell him that's the addressee on the package. He then tells me I need to prove that the recipient is an FFL. I then showed him a copy of the receiving dealers FFL. At this point both the clerk and his supervisor agree to ship the rifle.

The clerk then asks me what I use my guns for and I tell him for hunting. He's now trying to be very friendly and asks what I hunt. I tell him mainly deer, pheasants and geese. He then asks if I would take him goose hunting. I said I'd stop back to see him once the season opened. Fat chance of that ever happening.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2314 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Here's the reg
https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm
quote:
431.1.c No markings of any kind that indicate the nature of the contents may be placed on the outside wrapper or container of any mailpiece containing firearms.

Special attention for non-FFL is 432.3

they changed this, idk when, bc it used to be ILLEGAL for any postal employee under the grade of postmaster to offer opinion or advice on the shipping of firearms - i did so enjoy it when this one lady, at my then local PO, would get her feathers ruffled, and ask her if she had reported herself to her postmaster

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38596 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Labman:
Be prepared when trying to ship a long gun through the post office. I've dealt with too many postal employees who don't know their own regulations I always download and print out a copy of the postal regs regarding shipping guns. A couple of years ago I went to my local PO to ship a rifle. When asked what was in the package I said "a rifle" and was immediately told by the clerk that it's illegal to ship guns by the PO. I then asked for his supervisor who told me the same thing.

I then produced a copy of their own regs. and politely informed them that they were both wrong. After reviewing their own regs. the clerk then tells me that the regs. require the gun to be shipped to an FFL. I tell him that's the addressee on the package. He then tells me I need to prove that the recipient is an FFL. I then showed him a copy of the receiving dealers FFL. At this point both the clerk and his supervisor agree to ship the rifle.

The clerk then asks me what I use my guns for and I tell him for hunting. He's now trying to be very friendly and asks what I hunt. I tell him mainly deer, pheasants and geese. He then asks if I would take him goose hunting. I said I'd stop back to see him once the season opened. Fat chance of that ever happening.

I have had to do the same thing. It rally pisses them off when you are right. Mention that you are not angry at them personally, it's simply lack of training...Usually soothes ruffled feathers

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I shipped several complete long guns to another FFL dealer over the last 10 years or so through a local gun store, Kinsey's outdoors. Charged me $45.00 and thanked me for providing the new box. I always call them to ship. Barreled actions go USPS to an FFL in the smallest box possible.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5172 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had 0 problems with USPS and they know its a long or pistol as I usually tell them its a gun and how much insurance. but this is Idaho where if you don't have conceal permit, the will lend you one! UPS went bad recently and complicated their process...

We are Clinton's bubbas with our guns and bibles and proud of it.

BTW I always carried a copy of the airlines regs when air travel was involved, all they could do was stutter, then I would tell them I would file suit with my lawyer if they detained me any longer and almost invariably they would say OK Ill let you go this time, Id say kiss ole spot!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41964 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just shipped (2) barreled actions

#1 to Iowa with a stock (barreled action and stock were separated---Priority mail.
$39.45---non standard length was $15.00
3 day delivery.

#2 Barreled action only to Oregon---Ground 5 day.
$31.25---non standard length $7.00.

Rounding things out, that is $8.20 to get there 2 days later.

Worth it-----????

Hip

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes because standard mail can take a lot longer than that. Priority really does mean it.
And only a dealer can ship handguns via USPS, so trying to do that, is not allowed. If they are letting you do that, they don't know their own rules. Which they usually don't.
Anyway, they should not ask what is in the box; just certify the Not liquid, hazardous, perishable, mercury, etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I have had 0 problems with USPS and they know its a long or pistol as I usually tell them its a gun and how much insurance. but this is Idaho where if you don't have conceal permit, the will lend you one! UPS went bad recently and complicated their process...

We are Clinton's bubbas with our guns and bibles and proud of it.

BTW I always carried a copy of the airlines regs when air travel was involved, all they could do was stutter, then I would tell them I would file suit with my lawyer if they detained me any longer and almost invariably they would say OK Ill let you go this time, Id say kiss ole spot!

Not legal to ship handguns through USPS. Unless you are an FFL holder.

Posts: 738 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I use USPS exclusively, and am not happy about the spiraling costs but have had relatively good luck over the years, knock on wood. They just jacked the prices of the flat rate priority boxes again, the bastards.
If I were to ship Fed-Ex or UPS, I would have to drive to one of the hubs in Abilene. Even with an account and a C&R on file with UPS years ago, I had a belly full of their bullshit.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16521 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
UPDATE,

I don't remember how long the package took to get to Iowa----I think 4 days (Priority shipped)

The package to Idaho (Standard ground) also took 4 days.

Hip

One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
I try to use USPS exclusively but the last handgun I shipped Fed Ex was cheapest so that is what I did. It arrived at Taurus in 2 days from Arizona. It was $60, USPS was $75, and UPS was around same. Now that I think about it, I may have priced Express with USPS instead of Priority. I have slept since then.

Posts: 761 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any advice? Yes, I am serious.

I'm working on importing a dozen old shotguns from UK to Denver.
That part will be direct.
I have no idea if they will be taken down, would assume so.

I can't make the trip to pick them up from Customs.
IF anyone has experience with this I'd like to hear it.

I'd like suggestions who would be best to bring them down from there 130 miles.

Yes, I know the bill is gonna bite me.

Thank you,

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5958 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just went thrugh a USPS "experince" Nov 1, took a rifle packed in cardboad box with proper taping for registered mail....Clerk said "not taped gppd enough"

Long line behind me, so I didn't bother arguing, told her to send it certified. WAs supposed to arrive 11-3 according to receipt.

Checked 11-5 and USPS website said it was accepted a my post office. Went to post office to inquire and a different clerk said the system was behind and it was in transit...but could not offer proof. Hmmmmm!

Couple days later, still showed package at post office. "I want my package back" I informed the same clerk that had accepted the package on Nov 1. "We don't have it"

I'll fast forward to Nov 10 when I made formal complaint to USPS customer service and was happy to first of all, talk to someone who could speak English and sounded intelligent and knowlegeable.

I did adise that I needed to report this rifle as STOLEN to BATF "Give us a couple days" she asked.

Rifle wa delivered the next day!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started shipping via UPS, and we had a great driver that really took care of us. Everything started to slip when he retired. When I moved shop, I started using FedEx, they destroyed a rifle that a customer had paid $2800 for and told me that I had to surrender the gun to a driver to be paid insurance. I tried to explain to them that it was illegal for me to do so, and they would either need to complete a 4473 or give me an FFL. Customer didn't really want to give the gun up, because it was worth more than the $2800. Called my ATF office and they confirmed I could not legally surrender the gun to Fedex.

So I went back to UPS. Their prices kept going up and up. And up. An up. One day I got ready to ship a rifle and saw at the last moment I had forgotten to log in. When I logged in my price INCREASED over 30%. I spent over an hour getting to be able to talk to human, who then transferred me to an account representative. They explained that yes, having an account, I was being charged more than a random person on the internet. I told them to cancel my account immediately. For the next month I got calls from various people offering me deals and pricing to keep my account. (Which is crazy because I don't ship much) Finally I wound up talking to the vice president of sales for this region and he very politely explained to me that UPS does not want my business and that is why they charge more. He said they are also not subsidized by the tax payer, which I said was a lie, UPS gets hundreds of millions in federal subsidies every year. He just "ahem, well" and our conversation was over.

Since then, I have shipped exclusively through USPS. They have cost less, delivered less damaged packages, and lost less than UPS and Fedex.

Moral of the story is that everyone here allowed it to happen. We live in a fascist state that everyone keeps approving and allowing. And before you get your panties in a bunch, if you haven't read Gentile or Mussolini, I don't want to hear your boo hoo hoo we aren't fascists. Our government run economy is above and beyond what Gentile or Mussolinin could have hoped for, and could only theorize in a book!

Why are there no viable competitors to UPS or Fedex?
The same reason Amazon doesn't have an airline.

The same reason our auto industry is a catastrophe.

The same reason it is illegal to import camels into the US.

The same reason replacing a broken trigger on a 100 year old gun is manufacturing a new firearm.

Alright, I'm stepping down from my soap box. Back to making commercial 98 cocking pieces.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1488 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heck...don't hurt to venilate now and then!

I have made a formal request for explanation. Honestly believe some anti puke at my post office played "head games"

O course, don't dare even suggest anger to a postal employee without very real possibility of arrest.

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Have you seen the new-recent 'screen' at USPS, the one before 'nothing lithium, explosive, flammable...'?

It says something about civil charges/fines if lying about what's in the shipment? (Or words to that affect)

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes; that means lying about it being hazardous. It does not ask you what is in the package.