New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do with this bottom metal?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have what I believe to be a golden opportunity or oops. In question is a well made Mauser standard bottom metal with inside-the-bow release for the straddle floor plate, and magazine box length of 3.616" that is standard depth, but is a drop box. Confusing, eh? I've not seen one like this offered anywhere. The standard depth box is understandable, but the drop needs thought of in reverse-the trigger guard is 1/4"above the floorplate making for a slim wristed stock. Too slim? This bottom metal came to me fresh off the mill and bead blasted, but not blued. Tired of looking at it and want it to be part of an FN Mauser.
What thoughts?
Stephen
ps
I just re-read my post and discovered the description announced a standard Mauser bottom metal that is not standard at all. Well, kind of, but not.
In progress.
S
t\

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure what the problem is, is it a 06 length drop box? if so what,s the problem or is that the problem..It would be perfect for a drop box 7x57 or 9,3x62..if im reading your post right...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41834 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3.6" is .375 H&H length. 3.4" is .30/06 length.

Posts: 680 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it's just off the mill, who made it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As Silvers mentioned, it's a .375 h&h length. Having a drop box in that cartridge family is quite common. Should work well for your project.

Posts: 571 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i hope this turns into the golden nugget for you. as others have said, that's a mag box - check the screw spacing - the various lengths are listed in the pinned reference thread.

it's meant for the extra round in a HH length cart.

i have seen drop box (and others) for standard length rounds.. even made a couple myself - someone wants 6 or 7 rounds of 30-06 .. that will e $x, time y, would you like it blued, sir?

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38464 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for input, or ouput. This bottom metal will not allow an extra round down as it is standard depth and 3.616" inside front to rear. Consider it is a drop box, yet standard depth. What this means for my earlier description to fit is the trigger guard floor is 1/4" above the bottom of the magazine box. This makes for a slimmer, by 1/4", wrist top to bottom. My worry is this may be too slim for average shooter hands. Work well for a lady's stock, or other non-standard design.
Of who made the bottom metal, I have no knowledge. I bought it from Jim Borden a decade or so ago and can not imagine him making a one-off, but maybe.
Hole spacing is standard FN Mauser. Still in a quandary as to feasibility of the thinner wrist working for average to large handed shooters. Sorry, no pictures, no cell, no camera.
Still taking on all advice offered.
Thanks all, again,
Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Not sure what the problem is, is it a 06 length drop box? if so what,s the problem or is that the problem..It would be perfect for a drop box 7x57 or 9,3x62..if im reading your post right...

Ray,
Standard depth box 3.616" front to rear so for .375 length rounds. Now we have that information and to think of it as a drop box the upper floor of the trigger bow and the bow itself has to be higher, or above the mag box bottom. Otherwise, not a drop box.
Make any sense, and have you ever seen one? I have not, but that does not mean much.
Stephen

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNR:
As Silvers mentioned, it's a .375 h&h length. Having a drop box in that cartridge family is quite common. Should work well for your project.

MNR,
Quite so. My concern being the resultant 1/4" slimmer wrist top to bottom created as manufactured. Y'all gotta think backwards when pondering this one, eh?
Thanks,
Stephen

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
What is the depth of the box at the rear?

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ForrestB,
Depth at rear 1.300", same as military 98 on bench.
The front screw is standard length, the rear .250" shorter, thus creating the 1/4" thinner wrist. This configuration will, in some cases, require the trigger to be shortened and perhaps re-shaped.
Stephen

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
About like this. notice the release crosspin and FP.

Posts: 6391 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote