Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 77 Poll
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
That angled front guard screw has always bothered me. I have also wondered how much more accurate the 77 would be with a square front screw.

Question:
Would you consider buying a M77 if Ruger changed the front guard screw from that
angled screw to one that is square to the receiver?

Choices:
Yes
No
The angled front guard doesn't matter to me.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
No.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
No.

LOL. Why did I think that is what you would say! Wink

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have had 3 all are shooters. The front screw has never plagued me.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
What is it that theoretically bothers people about the angle front screw?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10094 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
That angle of the dangle.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the angle screw has nothing to do with accuracy /... zip ...it IS a mechanical advantage on locking into the action ..

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38607 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
the angle screw has nothing to do with accuracy /... zip ...it IS a mechanical advantage on locking into the action ..

How many BR actions have an angled front screw?

Why after all these years is Ruger the only one using the angled front screw?

I voted that it doesn't bother me, BTW.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess the idea was to pre-load the recoil lug and keep it in tight contact with the stock, thus ruling out the possibility of looseness creating accuracy problems. Compared to a properly bedded action with a 90 degree action screw I don't see any advantage. However, if the bedding was a little shy of the recoil lug, it might help in bringing it into contact. I've never heard of or seen a benchrest gun with it. Ruger keeps it likely because it doesn't hurt anything and the tooling is paid for, plus they probably believe in it. Investiture molds are expensive.

Posts: 3710 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have gleaned from comments over the years that the 77 was not particularly accurate, and have not noticed a lot of (any) traffic concerning accurizing them. I always have thought that, whatever its problems, the 77's angled screw was probably not a deal maker.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I can only speculate as to the reason behind the angled guard screw but believe it is the same reason mentioned above. to pull the action back and down in firm contact with the stock.

This can also be accomplished with an angled recoil lug and and angled seat. Angled forward on the front part of the lug when pulled straight down the lug and seat would push the action back.
It would require a big chunk on the recoil lug and something more substantial then wood to seat against.
either way I voted it makes no difference to me.
I'd still buy one but only the MK11 deluxe

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

How many BR actions have an angled front screw?

Why after all these years is Ruger the only one using the angled front screw?

I voted that it doesn't bother me, BTW.

how many CURRNT br actions are mausers and competitive? none.. how many br actions, which is a high;y specialized sport, ar full length bedded/glued in? all of them .. how many BR rifles are sold at walmarts and big five? zero

bench rest rifles have nothing to do with hunting rifles, in my opinion, ,and are a distractor

how many menchrest rifles in 5-6K ft/lbs range?

zero?

here's a ruger i did, with the angled front screw

it just moa, and just over 5K ft/lbs .. from sandbags on a cold and rainy day ...

tell me where 3 screws is an advantage? doubt there's anyway to prove it ...

some folks just don't like different

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
I have never found a Ruger to not be accurate enough with the angled front screw.

The reason I don't care for it is because it can be more difficult sometimes to get a nice close floorplate fit to the triggerguard. I have more than once seen shims added on the front guard screw to force the floorplate closer to the triggerguard. I realize this may be a small thing but it still bugs me.

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
The angled screw is one of the things that makes it a Ruger. It's design is suppose to pull the recoil lug into the stock thereby making it more accurate. Why would you want to change that?

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be more concerned about the lack of a proper length barrel.

A 22" barrel on any rifle such as a 270, 280, 243 or 6mm just seems a nonsense. I'd rather have a full 24"!

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I agree on barrel length for the .270 and .280, but 22 inches is plenty for a .243.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:

A 22" barrel on any rifle such as a 270, 280, 243 or 6mm just seems a nonsense. I'd rather have a full 24"!

A man after my own heart.

I've never found the extra 2 inches to be burdensome and appreciate the velocity and steadiness benefit.

Posts: 160 | Location: NE MN | Registered: 07 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would be more concerned about the lack of a proper Recoil pad.

They really need to get away from the pads they are using, from Goodyear.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Don

<Mike McGuire>
posted
It makes Rugers more difficult to bed.

It would result in the action being pulled down with less force.

I can't see how it makes any difference in pulling the recoil lug back. As soon as a rifle is fired a couple of times and the front screw given a second tighten the recoil lugh will be hard up against the bedding.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
First off the original m77's did have not have the angled front screw that came in with the MKII. It is supposed to ensure that the action is drawn in tight to the stock and provide consistent contact in the tang area. That is why the instructions state to just snug up the rear screw then tighten the front then tighten the rear. As far as making it harder to bed I haven't really found it to be any harder, just make sure that you have the release agent liberally applied and just do a skim coat for the recoil lug. Others don't like bedding the tang but I do. My M77 MKII in 270WSM is sub moa with most loads and my M77 Hawkeye in 35 Whelen is right at an inch with 250 gr hornady rn's.

Posts: 168 | Location: People's Republic of New Jersey | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
TC,
I don't believe that is correct, but i could be wrong .. my 77 roundtop was angled .. Bill considered this to be a key thing for the action ... and yes, it does draw tighter and uses leverage to pull the action in

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I think this is sort of a silly discussion, because first of all Ruger ain't gonna change anything based on opinions stated herein.

Secondly, the set up works fine - the only "problem" is in traditionalist's heads.

IMO, perhaps all other makes of rifles should adopt and convert to the Ruger system - pay royalties if necessary - "problem" solved.

Traditionalists bitch about the Hogue stocks too. Yet I have a 458 on a Ruger MkII receiver, dropped in a Hogue stock - pillar type - with no additional recoil lug, and it's not only accurate, but it's holding together. It produces stout enough recoil to bust a 1x4 Leupold PDQ, but not the stock, even with just that puney recoil lug holding it in place. Granted, I'm thinking of switching to the full aluminum bedded block type of Hogue stock, just for the extra assurance. xtra recoil lug - naw, not necessary.

BTW, for you long barrel advocates, the barrel is 20", and I'm thinking I should have made it 18". Big Grin

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 27 August 2010 20:31 Hide Post
TC,
I don't believe that is correct, but i could be wrong .. my 77 roundtop was angled .. Bill considered this to be a key thing for the action ... and yes, it does draw tighter and uses leverage to pull the action in

They may have made the change prior to the redesignating to the MKII. I know my grandfathers 30-06 was a straight screw. I couldn't even begin to venture a guess as to when it was made.

Posts: 168 | Location: People's Republic of New Jersey | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The angle screw makes sense with the heavy kickers as part of the stock and screw are in somewhat of the same direction or facing the recoil.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
TC,
the round top is the first production batch .. Bill Ruger used to run off at the mouth about locking the action in. if the front screw was straight, it was either not a ruger or modified .. PM Frank Martinez and ask him to verify .. he's got my old one

#dumptrump

476AR,

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
here's a link to boyd's gunstocks .. showing the 3 footprints of the "normal" m77s .. original and mkII (not rsm or 77/anything those are different guns).. there's three sets of two pictures .. on the lower right set, the tang safety, you will clearly see the angled front screw inletting for the "shoe" of the trigger guard

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/...tocks-Ruger-s/38.htm

sorry, they don't allow cross posting to the pics

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff is right, both my 1968 back issues of American Rifleman featuring the introduction of the M77 and "Bolt Action Rifles" by Frank deHaas point out the angled front action screw as a patented feature of the M77 action.

Been there from the very beginning.

Posts: 160 | Location: NE MN | Registered: 07 February 2009Reply With Quote
<Mike McGuire>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by thndrchiken:
As far as making it harder to bed I haven't really found it to be any harder, just make sure that you have the release agent liberally applied and just do a skim coat for the recoil lug.

With conventional actions I use headless screws in the action and just drop the barreled action into the stock, so easy.

In my opinion the best actions are those with big recoil lugs at the very front of the action and the screw behind the recoil lug in the middle of the bedding section as of course like M70 and Rem 700.

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I used to own(still in the family) a flat bolt(early production) tang safety 77 in 6mm with the production date of jan 1969 stamped in the barrel channel.It has an angled front screw.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
quote:

Roll Eyes you probably drink warm beer,too! beer

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I LIKE the angled guard screw! It may or may not be a great boon to accuracy but it is unique and it certainly does no harm.
In the '70's, a pair of brothers from Cherryville, B.C. (Bob and Albert Forslund)made their own benchrest actions. A prominent feature of these actions was the angled front screw. They thought highly of this feature and also used Ruger actions for their personal varmint rifles.
These guys were very good accuracy gunsmiths and accomplished benchrest shooters for the time.
I would like to see Ruger keep the screw but make a decent trigger and resurrect the tang safety. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3571 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote