Find
Notify
Tools

New High Tech Finish--Face OFF!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
I have been looking overa ll of these new finishes and running down why they each say one is better than the other, but in reallity how much real life difference is there. I handled a 1911 in Rogaurd with an NP3 frame. I liked it, but what are the rest like.

Take a read of the links below and tell me what your favorite finish is and why. This is a rifle discussion.

Below are a list of finished, but feel free to add more. Who from these companies would you use?

Wilson Armor Tuff

Robar's Rogaurd/NP3

NIC Industries-Cerakote

Casidiam-Carbon Coating

Bearcoat-Industrial Teflon

Armoloy of Texas

AR Post a

AR Post b

AR Post c

AR Post d

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I only have guns with two of the finishes you mention: Rogard, and Armolloy (sp?)

Both have worn very well (or not worn much, however you want to say it).

The Rogard gun (barreled action) actually fell off the bumper of a car at 55 MPH onto the pavement and was then run over multiple times by other cars. Still, only where there was direct, sliding, contact with the gritty chip seal of the pavement, was any finish missing.

The other rifle (action only, actually) has seen twelve+ years of use, some years more than 100 days per year at the range, and still looks just great. I'd feel confident using either again.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a S&W model 29 years and years ago that I had done in Armaloy when they first started doing firearms. It was great, but the satin silver finish was all that was available, don’t know if they offer other choices now.

I have three rifles done in black matt Rogard with the bolts and internals done in matt silver NP3 and I love it.

I also have a 1911 Springfield .45 ACP with Wilson’s Black/grey finish and it’s REALLY rugged and very attractive. The slide is matt black and the frame is a real dark charcoal grey.

I would highly recommend either Rogard or Wilsons for a finish on a working rifle or handgun.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The coatings that you name are all trade names . It would be better if you identify chemically the coatings.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
The coatings that you name are all trade names . It would be better if you identify chemically the coatings.

Most of these finishes have proprietary ingredients and or processes of application and the companies are not going to tell you much.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
what about the "ceramic" coating used by empire rifles... anyone know anything about it or have any practical experience with it?

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
what about the "ceramic" coating used by empire rifles

Cerakote....then e-mailed to me.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 333_OKH:
I have been looking overa ll of these new finishes and running down why they each say one is better than the other, but in reallity how much real life difference is there. I handled a 1911 in Rogaurd with an NP3 frame. I liked it, but what are the rest like.

Take a read of the links below and tell me what your favorite finish is and why. This is a rifle discussion.

Below are a list of finished, but feel free to add more. Who from these companies would you use?

Wilson Armor Tuff

Robar's Rogaurd/NP3

NIC Industries-Cerakote

Casidiam-Carbon Coating

Bearcoat-Industrial Teflon

Armoloy of Texas

AR Post a

AR Post b

AR Post c

AR Post d

Try: http://www.fit4duty.us/

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 333_OKH:
quote:
what about the "ceramic" coating used by empire rifles

Cerakote....then e-mailed to me.

http://www.fit4duty.us/

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have few done by Falcon coat. He used the cericoat. It is nice stuff, and very tough. I have tow more barreld actions to go in the next few weeks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can ad KG Industries Gun-Kote to your list. I have 5 rifles coated with their product and it has held up extremely well in heavy usage. From what I have read, it seems that proper surface preparation prior to application is the key to success with any of these products.

TreeFarmer
NRA Life Member

Moderation in the pursuit of decadence is no virture.

Posts: 262 | Location: PA & VA, USA | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used Walt Birdsong's Black T on two guns and have another in the works with him. First gun I had done in Black T was 2 years ago and was my badly worn Gunsite Service Pistol worked over by Ted Yost in 1992. Its seen almost daily handing and about 5,000 rounds and looks new. Its my car gun and almost never gets wiped down.

I also have had a rifle done in Roguard. Not much opportunity to use it yet but it looks good!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TreeFarmer:
You can ad KG Industries Gun-Kote to your list. I have 5 rifles coated with their product and it has held up extremely well in heavy usage. From what I have read, it seems that proper surface preparation prior to application is the key to success with any of these products.

I've had two rifles that see heavy wet use done by Mac, and both are excellent. Gunkote is tough stuff! Some say cerekote is better??

http://www.shootiniron.com/

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Slater:
quote:
Originally posted by TreeFarmer:

I've had two rifles that see heavy wet use done by Mac, and both are excellent. Gunkote is tough stuff! Some say cerekote is better??

http://www.shootiniron.com/

I would like to give a plug for Mac's Restorations too. He has application of KG Gunkote [with metal preparation, parkerizing and silica blasting] down to a science. The result is perfect application and a very durable finish.

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote