Find
Notify
Tools

The rifle of your dreams?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted
What would you like to see offered, and how would it be built?

I would like to see Remington make a us built M98 in 3 lengths. I'd like to see the magnum available in 500 Jefferys, 450 Dakota/Rigby, 404 Jefferys, 375, 458 Lott. The real kicker in this rifle is the safety needs to be mounted on the left side and built like the one on a MK V Weatherby. Better yet it's not a safety it's a decocker and it could be tang mounted if that is possible.

I'd like to see someone build a take down rifle with a barrel mounted scope, where the bolt locks into the barrel via 5 lugs. Then the forend, and barrel are locked into the action via the R93 barrel tang screws. As much as I love the R93, I hate the expanded collet design.

I'd like to see some of the cartridges that have died over the years or arn't popular in America come back.

I want to see Blaser build a R93 450 Marlin barrel, 358 Norma, and 6mm Remington.

8x64 (8mm-06)
8x68
9.3x64
9.3x70
6mm Remington
6x63 Freres
8mm Remington Magnum
8x57
358 Norma

Most of the new cartridges are really stupid, or are lies built to sell new rifles. Such as the WSMs and more importantly the WSSMs.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
It wouldn't take much for a factory to upgrade a couple of items and make their rifles a little more serious. Winchester could put some sturdy express sights on their Model 70 Safari Express and please a lot of people. They could also make the same rifle, with a wooden stock, in a take down version and make a lot of people happy. CZ could offer their CZ 550 magnums with a more weather resistant finish and clean up some of the roughness on their factory rifles, like rounding the edges a little on the trigger guard. These are the only factory rifles that interest me. When I go to one of the better riflesmiths I think I should be able to get exactly what I want.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to see Blazer bring back their very short lived falling block single shot that was very short lived due to high production costs. 7x65R Eeker

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
cheersIt would be nice if Stevens 200, Savage ,CZ, or Ruger perse would have a light hunting rifle 22" barrel, chambered in 250-3000 with twist, magazine and throat length adequate to handle a 120 gr. bullet without it being pushed into the powder room. thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Enough said!!!!!!!! other than scrollcutter and several other are involved in this project

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd pay a little extra to have good fit and finish, since apparently we aren't going to get it as it is. Charge me an extra $100 for a limited edition ("Model 70 Select," "Model 77 MkII Premier," etc.) that has the barrels in the center of the barrel channel, bolts that feel smooth, triggers that break cleanly, and I'll be right there with my checkbook. I don't need fore-end tips, better wood, or engraving - just fit and finish...

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I know who makes the rifle of my dreams... I just can't afford it!!!

As long as I'm dreaming though, I should probably upgrade the engraving a bit... Wink

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
bartsche--according to the guys on SavageShooters.com, that would be an easy build. Start with a long action Savage 110 or 116, get a good stock, Pac-Nor barrel, and SSS trigger, and you've got it. I'm doing the same thing although in 6mm Remington. Tired of all the factory rifles with short throats and even shorter magazines. By the time you find the best seating depth close to the lands, the cartridges won't function thru the magazine and you have a single shot or a two-shooter, plus compromised powder capacity.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
The identical twin of Harry Selby's .416 Rigby.

Posts: 1664 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A Ti savage 99 or a Stainless 99 with syt, stocks.

But a stainless "Ruger MKII comes close to a perfect rifle. Give me one that well shoot under 1 inch in a 30 cal or bigger and couldn't think of a better rifle.

When I was younger I thought fancy walnut and fancy engaving was the answer. But the more I time I spend using guns the more I like stainless syt rifle and pistols.

Posts: 19581 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My dream rifle has a:
1) surplus Mauser action
2) 20 ounce HIGH TECH SPECIALTIES synthetic stock
3) Lothar Walther 1300 taper barrel
4) Alluminum scope mounts
5) Limbsaver recoil pad
6) Uncle Mike sling studs
7) Blackburn trigger
8) Dakota safety

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get my hands on a lot of walnut trees my grandfather owned before he passed away.Start sawing them down and finding the best looking piece.Then I would choose either a Remington or Winchester action and a good barrel and spend some money on some first class scoll and engraving.I would not hunt with this rifle.It would serve more as a show off furniture piece.The engraving will be that of some great moment out hunting.My grandfather was a walnut farmer amongst other things he had a long sun dried stick that he used to knock those walnuts off of their branches.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
The rifle (or other gun) of your dreams is usually the one you don't own yet but have on your wish list. There are usually many in my dreams.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2597 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
My dream rifle would actually be a matched set of 3 rifles.

They would all have Lilja barrels that were half round half octagon. They would have a nicely contoured quarter rib with 1 standing 2 folding express sights. The front sight would be a banded fron sight similar to the NECG. The sling swivel base would also be barrel mounted.

The stocks would be a rich reddish brown with black streaking English that had a good amount of tiger striping. They would be done in the American classic pattern, steel grip cap, ebony fore-end tip, oval cheekpiece with a shadow line. The stock swivel bases would be inlet into the stock. The grip of the stock would be nice and open and swept to the rear. Recoil pads would all be red.

Blackburn bottom metal would be used on all 3 rifles. The action, bottom metal, grip cap, rings, bases, swivel bases, and bolt handle would all be color case finished with the barrel being rust blued.

The first rifle would be a 22lr using a Winchester 52 action that had the bolt handle replaced to match the M70.

The second would be a Winchester M70 Classic short action chambered in .308 Winchester.

The 3rd and final would be a Winchester M70 Classic in 375 H&H.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of those Reno Accounting rifles of Forrest B's!!!

or
http://www.waffenjung.de/html/details.html

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Rem 700 Action, Lilja 24" 1:8 twist, fwt barrel in 6.5 x 55 Swed. Leupold M8 4x or 6x barrel set in 2pc Conetrol bases and rings. Action trued to the barrel and trigger set to 2.5-3lbs. Nice camo job! Final weight no more than 6.5 lbs. Something exactly like this 30-06 of mine.

Big Al

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I´ve given this some thought and came up with the dissapointing fact that I already own my dream rifles! They´re well built, custom/semi-custom and in the right calibers...

I´ll now upgrade the scopes and concentrate on hunting.

One day I might want to own a nice double but I don´t have the "itch" now so who knows?

Doesn´t this sound depressing?

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like to see Ruger resurrect their #3, in a target gray ss, aperture rear sight, non-slip recoil pad, in calibers like .480 Ruger, 454 Casull. You know, a short range, rugged deer buster that could live behind the seat of your truck. Ruger scope bases maybe...

Posts: 140 | Location: Irmo, SC | Registered: 16 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Martini & Hagn, any caliber

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
stainless 416 rigby mauser action with desert ironwood stock, oil finish. not fancy but tough!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27607 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I built it already. I have 25 pictures of it but am at a loss as to how to post them. Anybody want to receive 25 smallish emails and put them up for me?

My next dream rifle will be a Nesika; the caliber is not yet decided but it will have a "pool cue" barrel and be purpose-built to hit bulls from far, far away.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
go to http://www.photobucket.com and register...it is easy and i'll help you from there

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27607 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK; I registered. They sure do want alot of what I consider to be priveleged information. So I guess I now scan my photos and give them simple, consecutive names, like rifle01.jpg or something?

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
rootbeer,

How to Post Photos

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Well maybe not "my dream rifles", but I am sure they were in my dreams at least once!

12 Bore Greener Express rifles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those Greeners are too beautiful to take out of the car. Can we shoot out the window with them?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw advertised on gunsamerica once, a .600 N E by James Purdey and Son for $400,000.00 U S Dollars. Give me that. [ I'll sell it at once and buy: A .500 NE & .500/.416 Deluxe Dbl from SEARCY - One action two sets of barrels. Then a Dakota Safari grade Traveler(Take-down) .375 H&H with a second .300 Weatherby barrel. Then I'd by my 28 day full bag Botswana safari, then my full bag Alaskan safari, and so on, and..... till every cent was gone!!!!!!!]

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am easy just not cheap, hows this for starters:

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Or for a bolt action:

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Would anybody actually ever shoot a $400,000 rifle? Donald Trump bought a $450,000 Mercedes-McLaren; do you think he'll ever drive it?

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
It would also be interesting to see CZ produce a high end rifle with in-line feeding, a truly resistant finish, better iron sights. I've never tried to figure it out, but could you get at least three down in 458 Lott without any insightly trap doors and also have in-line feeding on the CZ 550?.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your Talking Dreams right?....there are more expensive dreams but this seems a most practicle one, so here goes.....

Action: Hartmann Weiss (Chromemolly)extended thread Magnum mauser SquareBridge.
Barrel/Sights:25" Cut rifled tube,full round with integral features(1/4rib,foresight,b-band,recoil block)
Blank: 15-30yr aged Australian,English or Circassian Walnut.
Stock: English H&H style, pancake,22-24lpi checkering. Slim forend,ebony.
Metal: oberndorf style drop box and bolt handle. Saftey shroud as per original shape converted to Burgess 2posit. type.
Finnish: authentic rust Blued. NO engraving, just impeccable wood/metal fit & finnish.
Calibre: of course, .375H&H
Craftsmen: Martini/ Hagn.

Amen.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I scanned my photos at 72dpi and I find them so pixelated and so lacking in detail that I don't think there's much point in posting them. So much for that idea...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Something like this:

Something like this:

And something like this:

Would make me very happy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a new dream rifle every few years, get it built and two days later a new dream comes in my sleep.

Latest is a 9,3 x 70 Expert Magnum in an actual wood stock on a reworked Winchester Classic action, in blue even. I kinda like the new Safari stocks from Winchester. Finish it off with EAW mounts and a 1.5 x 5 x20mm Leupold scope.
lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dream rifle? That's easy. I just want my M1A National Match with the Douglas air grade BBL back! But since Jackboot Jonny confiscated all the semi autos (to make us all safer, you know!)
It's probably a bunch of paperclips or something! Pity, that rifle could shoot a hell of a lot better than I could, It could routinely give me V-bulls at 900yds, and I'm not that good a shot. It would easily shoot MOA, all day.

Now, my favourite is my Blaser 95BBF, in 7x57R/12G. It just seems to handle most of my hunting easily, and is a joy to shoot.
Next dream? Maybe a Drilling, 20G/20G/7x57R.

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of mine is a Savage 99 in a 300 WSM. Extra fine wood, fit and finish to match and a 25" bbl.

When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace - Luke 11:21
Suppose you were an idiot... And suppose you were a member of
Congress...But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain

Posts: 203 | Location: Back home in Texas | Registered: 20 May 2002Reply With Quote