New
Find
Notify
Tools

30mm scope ring lapping bar measurment
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Could someone measure the diameter of their 30mm ring lapping bar. I know it should be 30mm but I'm not sure if they make them slightly over sized.

Thank you.

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Best to measure your scope and make it that diameter. I have a one inch lapping bar which measures, one inch OD.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Which is 30 mm.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just don't want to pay $60-$70 for a steel bar. I think I may go the wrought of bedding the bottom halves of the rings with JB Weld, $5

Just trying to keep my scope from slipping on my 416 remington. I'm using Talley 1 piece aluminum rings. I'm going to try and find some rosin to add. Ideally I'd like to have a solid machined 1 piece base and ring system like the DNZ game reaper, but I can't find anything like that that fits the hole spacing of the Winchester M70 safari

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Which is 30 mm.

29.997mm ......

The OP asked what the bar measures .....so I told him what mine measures.

You couldn't just... "go on" ...you had to let us all know

Now I know why I've always thought you are a fuckin jackass

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
All I did was use my computer's conversion program; it said that 1.1811 is 30 mm.
I am not trying to be a jackass, fuckin or any other kind. Sorry if I offended you, or anyone else.
I was just trying to show some numbers to help the OP; maybe I didn't.
Certainly not trying to place any aspersions on you or your report. I wouldn't do that.
Hace a nice day.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
quote:
Which is 30 mm.

29.997mm ......

Come on Ted. Tom is a good guy.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Which is 30 mm.

29.997mm ......

Man! That was totally uncalled for.

Tom has gone WAY out of his way to help a bunch of people here on AR, me included. And been a complete Gentleman at all times.

Totally uncalled for, and you, if half a man should apologize.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
quote:
quote:
Which is 30 mm.

29.997mm ......

I'm sure he is....but

He has been quite sarcastic toward me several times through the years when I have asked a questions here on this gunsmithing forum......

He's lucky to have a couple guys to hop on and help him out .....

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
The people that stepped up for him, probably would have stepped up for you too in a similar situation Ted. Tom probably would have too.

coffee Just saying.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
quote:
quote:
Which is 30 mm.

29.997mm ......

I'm sure he is....but

He has been quite sarcastic toward me several times through the years when I have asked a questions here on this gunsmithing forum......

He's lucky to have a couple guys to hop on and help him out .....

Ted, I guess I missed his posts like that, but I have a lot of respect for your input on the forum.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The people that stepped up for him, probably would have stepped up for you too in a similar situation Ted. Tom probably would have too.

Yep!

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gohip2000:
I just don't want to pay $60-$70 for a steel bar.

I would not recommend steel for a lapping bar. For mine, I used 32mm cast iron bar stock and turned that down to 30mm. Brass would also be better than steel if cast iron is not available.
Don't worry too much about hitting the diameter down to the last micron - lapping rings is more about alignment than about perfect diameters, especially in aluminum rings.

Posts: 164 | Location: Germany | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure I want to be part of this mess but I always thought the bar would be undersize to make up for grit size of the abrasive.

Posts: 1295 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's our little teddy; open mouth and insert foot. And vulgar to boot.

DPCD is one of the finest people on this forum. He is always willing to share his expertise and experience on gunsmithing issues. He has likely done more rifle building this past six weeks or so than you have in your entire life.

You, on the other hand have contributed absolutely NOTHING to this thread.

Mark Twain is quoted as saying that "profanity is the sign of a feeble intellect or extreme laziness. He must have had you in mind...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Which is 30 mm.
29.997mm ......

No, 1.181 inches is actually 29.9974 mm.
But of course 30mm is actually 1.1811024 inches - give or take. animal

The things people choose to get upset about. 2020

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 30MM lapping bar measures 1.184.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
butch,

don't let teddy find out...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J_Zola:
Not sure I want to be part of this mess but I always thought the bar would be undersize to make up for grit size of the abrasive.

+1 on both points

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:

Mark Twain is quoted as saying that "profanity is the sign of a feeble intellect or extreme laziness.

Wrong . It was Spencer W. Kimball (a Mormon) who said "Profanity is the effort of a feeble brain to express itself forcefully."

One of Twain's many comments on profanity; "Profanity is more necessary to me than is immunity from colds." And there are others.

Next time, before quoting someone, you might want to have your shit together.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Without colorful metaphors, we would live in a world where rectal sphincters would have no course or direction !

coffee :Me, just now.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
DPCD has sent me a PM and we are working out our differences in private.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
craigster,

English Professor told it in class several times my freshman year in college.

It was in a book Twain authored.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's our teddy. Curse someone in public, then say you are working it out in private. Why not delete the post then, scrote...?

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's our teddy. Curse someone in public, then say you are working it out in private. Why not delete the post then, scrote...?

Rich....

scrote?

College?

In this forum you can indeed delete a post that you make but if it has been quoted you can not.....

DCPC should chime in on this thread ...........

None of our discussions are any of your buisness btw

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:

I could include you, if you like...

Rich, you aren't very good at this but you might try it...

Mind your own business

But remember....as I haven't forgot

You see Rich.....about 5 years ago on this public forum you called my wife a TRAMP....... rude beyond recourse..... but those AR members that know my wife also know that she can handle herself quite well and probably shouldn't have her cage rattled

You then invited us to Reno to "teach" us some maners......here again......you wouldn't want that

My oh my Rich....Idaho Sharpshooter.....We are flattered with that invite still to this day you 34+ head of Boone and Crockett elk killing sucker you

One of Us
posted Hide Post
correct oh great craigster!! Originally quoted in October 1974 as the then president of the LDS church.

Other than this post I am removing my posts on this topic.

let Ted and Tom work this out in private as it should be done!!

shane

quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
quote:

Mark Twain is quoted as saying that "profanity is the sign of a feeble intellect or extreme laziness.

Wrong . It was Spencer W. Kimball (a Mormon) who said "Profanity is the effort of a feeble brain to express itself forcefully."

One of Twain's many comments on profanity; "Profanity is more necessary to me than is immunity from colds." And there are others.

Next time, before quoting someone, you might want to have your shit together.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I started using the Burris Signature rings.... I haven't lapped a ring since and haven't had any issues with the rings or accuracy.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1980 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started using rail mount scopes and left all these problems in the dust... sofa

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ah teddy...

trying to shift attention away from your inbred PWT propensity for expressing yourself at the lowest level again.

craigster,

failed again, eh? Your guy was less than a century late in mis-quoting Twain. And repeating a lie won't increase your standing here any, either.

Here's a second chance for you. IIRC, it was John Wayne who said, life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid...

take care, and have a happy turkey day.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
ah teddy...

trying to shift attention away from your inbred PWT propensity for expressing yourself at the lowest level again.

craigster,

failed again, eh? Your guy was less than a century late in mis-quoting Twain. And repeating a lie won't increase your standing here any, either.

Here's a second chance for you. IIRC, it was John Wayne who said, life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid...

Rich

Rich, leave it alone!

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
ah teddy...

craigster,

Rich

Nope..... I have no need to shift any attention

DPCD and I are fine

As for you......I don't like you

You sir are a Dick

Amongst other colorful things

Now..... you have the gaul to bring my parents into you're reply

What an ass.....

Rich, when you drop off the face of the Earth a pile of people around here will crack a smile in hearing the news...... please don't be tardy

Though I do hope you live long enough to meet my wife.

I could quote Mark Twain on that one but I will skip....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
what's "PWT" mean? I'm bored and they kicked me outta the kitchen for sampling too much dinner hilbily

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
PWT

Poor
White
Trash

The funny thing is he got one part right so he is batting .333

Rich..... If nothing else is marginally entertaining

One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

Oh Richard...

On thanksgiving no less...that's not very Highbrow of you

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hey Dick/Richard

DCPC PM'd me..... I responded to his PM

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's our little teddy; open mouth and insert foot. And vulgar to boot.

DPCD is one of the finest people on this forum. He is always willing to share his expertise and experience on gunsmithing issues. He has likely done more rifle building this past six weeks or so than you have in your entire life.

You, on the other hand have contributed absolutely NOTHING to this thread.

Mark Twain is quoted as saying that "profanity is the sign of a feeble intellect or extreme laziness. He must have had you in mind...

The gunsmith/rifle build comment you made is no doubt correct.

As far as maching.....

I am a 30 year Injection Mold Maker......1986

Those who cut metals for a living know the speed and precision of trade..... I doubt you have a clue.....so google it

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
This is the type of work injection mold makers do....Rich.....and we do it very very fast and blindingly accurate

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Ted
Don't let Idaho Shart shooter get under your skin. He's a proven idiot, liar and blowhard full of threats and posturing.
Trust me he's not worth getting frosted over.

If we were all dealing with each other face to face instead of through these internet boxes we'd be a lot more civil with our retorts.
If not there would be a couple bloody noses then everyone would understand that they were runnin their mouth when their ears should have been on point....

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote