Find
Notify
Tools

Custom 416 Rigby Finito
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted
Well, after an eight year gestation period my 416 Rigby is finally finished. I'm really pleased with how it turned out. Kudos to Duane Wiebe, Ralf Martini, Charles Lee and Roger Kehr.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
<<<sigh>>>

Damn Forrest, you do commission some of the nicest work!!!

Congratulations.

<<<sigh>>>

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
Truly outstanding, the definition of a custom, best quality rilfe. My hat is off to you and the craftsmen involved.

Forrest

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
outstanding!..

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39665 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very few rifles achieve this level.

I think the treatment to the rear bridge is just so well done! Inspiring.

Many Thanks

HBH

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brilliant!

What's the pad covered with? Looks like sharkskin...

Posts: 1690 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Recoil Rob:
Brilliant!

What's the pad covered with? Looks like sharkskin...

Earlier in the planning phase Forrest mentioned he was considering sharkskin and it looks like that is what he went with, but I should let him answer.

Forrest

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stunning.

Well done by all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Forrest! That is a great looking rifle!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest, congratulations on a lovely rifle. I hope you enjoy many years of use and pride.
Eight years isn't too long.
Is the top strap long like the bottom?
Best wishes, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1973 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i always emjoy seeing fine work like this!!!!!....very nice, Forrest.... beer

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Most excellent work. My hat is off to all the artist involved.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rings and bases. Did you get them at Wal-Mart? I looked but couldn't find them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A couple questions answered: The leather is flesh out pigskin. The rings are custom made.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Very nice. It was fun watching this one come together.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Forrest, if you bring it to the Dallas Safari Club convention, I just might fly from France to see that baby.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle, Forrest.

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very sexy-looking rifle.

Posts: 391 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
Forrest, if you bring it to the Dallas Safari Club convention, I just might fly from France to see that baby.

Buy your ticket Wink. I've already made my hotel reservation and I'll bring the rifle just for you.

Thanks everyone. The craftsmen who worked on this rifle, especially Duane, deserve all the accolades. Not just for their skill but for their patience with me. I have so many hopes and dreams tied up in this rifle, I was overly obsessive about every detail and changed my mind over and over again. For certain, Duane is going to be happy to not be hearing from me every day with a question or comment about this project.

I'll try to post some more photos after I get the rifle in hand.

FBB

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't imagine the work just in the rear bridge alone.....excellant stuff here. Thanks for sharing.

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Like I told Forrest...I'm going to stop taking monogram work on Weibe's stocks. I can't make any money on the work...too much time spent staring at the work.

The outside, as you can see is absolutely amazing. The inletting looks the same. The trigger inletting alone is a marvel. Not a sliver of excess wood is removed from the inletting...to keep the stock as strong as possible.

One more observation, if I may. As you can see, Duane definitely has an eye for the aesthetics. More importantly to a hunter, he is absolutely meticulous about the reliabilty of the gun. It's a rare breed that has artistic ablility and the mechanical skills to pull it all together into a working rifle. I guess that's why Duane has such a loyal following.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What type of leather was used to cover the recoil pad.?? The pore's look to 'small' to be pigskin.

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle Forrest. Duane did a great job putting the GMA on the slim fast plan. Flat topping Bastogne must have been fun. Eeker At least it wasn't riddled with fiddle excessively.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

Very nice rifle, however, it unfortunately fails to trump the .500 Jeffery. Cool

Truth be told, how could someone go wrong with any of Duane's rifles?

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Forrest,

Your rifles have been an inspiration and this Rigby just looks fantasic.... I have always appreciated your willingness to share, knowledge, experience, etc. Congrats to you, Duwane, and the group.

When you have a chance let us know what weight the rifle tips on the scale.

Thanks,

Jim

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love that stippling!!! if I had a claw hand I'd have it stippled so I could look at it all the time.

roger how do you do that, is it cost per square inch or what?

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Red,

I can't take credit for anything but the monogram lettering...Charles Lee did the rest of the engraving.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is awe inspiring. What action did you use?

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
nice, cant wait to see it up close

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wanna577:
That is awe inspiring. What action did you use?

It's a Granite Mountain Arms action. It's hard to believe that it started out as a GMA action and ended up looking this nice. There are some photos of Duane working over the action here:

416 Rigby Progress Thread

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely beautiful.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Eight years is a long time...
But it was time well spent, Very nice Forrest!

Enjoy

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Yes, that sure is a rifle to be proud of. thumb
Now all you need is a deal on a Buff or Ele.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gotta say Forrest, this one of your most inspiring projects. Great to see it finally come to fruition, even with the small foreend tip and who-knows-what-other dramas.

Did it come in under your estimated 11 lbs scoped weight? Can you also post the barrel length and diameter at muzzle?

Many thanks,
- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just to make things clear...I've been HEARING about this rifle for eight years and I've been sitting on the barrel for six years...I'll fess up to two years!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll fess up to two years!

LOL, well regardless of the wait, it was obviously worth the finished project! Very well-done... Forrest, does this mean you will fire-sale the .416 you took to Tanz a few years back to your poor banker buddy in Victoria?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
Just to make things clear...I've been HEARING about this rifle for eight years and I've been sitting on the barrel for six years...I'll fess up to two years!

I'll confess, it was about two years of cumulative time talking about this project with Duane but I didn't have all the parts in Duane's hands until March of this year.

Here's the greatly abbreviated timeline:
1999 - Big idea...I should get a 416.
2000 - I'll have a German gunmaker build the entire rifle.
2001 - Cold feet with the German guy. I decide to rebarrel my 375 to 416 Rem. Ask Ralf Martini to make the barrel.
2003 - Receive Martini barrel then decide it's so nice I want to build a new 416 Rigby with it.
2005 - Place order for a Satterlee M98 action.
2006 - 2008 - get lied to by Satterlee.
2008 - Get deposit back from Satterlee and order a GMA action.
2009 - Receive GMA action and Duane finally gets an opportunity to start work.

Tempus fugit.

bwanamrm, that Smithson 416 Rigby has too much sentimental value for me to part with it. This new rifle may force it into retirement but the old 416 will always have a home here.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

How long will it be before you shoot it? Will you do it like Shootaway and shoot out the barrel before DSC January?

How do you like the scope?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks great.....what was the final weight?

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
That one makes a caveman's heart sing!

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote