Find
Notify
Tools

Custom 416 Rigby Finito
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
As soon as I get the rifle, I'll send it to the ForrestB Department of Weights and Measures and answer all questions pertaining to the precise specifications of the rifle.

Wink, I'm going to make sure (unlike RIP) that the action screws are properly torqued, then strap on my football helment and proceed to shoot out the barrel on my first trip to the range. I'll report back about the scope also.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make sure you clean the barrel so it doesn't split the stock.

Good luck on the test drive.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Impeccable, as usual. Thanks for sharing with us.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest: Bring that rifle to Dallas this January so we can see it up close ...... truly a great looking rifle. I'm pretty sure some of us would pay just to get to touch that beauty.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
As soon as I get the rifle, I'll send it to the ForrestB Department of Weights and Measures and answer all questions pertaining to the precise specifications of the rifle.

Wink, I'm going to make sure (unlike RIP) that the action screws are properly torqued, then strap on my football helment and proceed to shoot out the barrel on my first trip to the range. I'll report back about the scope also.
I am sure many of us have learned alot from all the work that Forrest posted.Thanks Forrest!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Finally. I have the rifle in my hot little hands. It's every bit as handsome as I had hoped.
Here are some of the measurements that have been asked about:

Weight w/o scope - 9 lbs, 8 oz
Weight w/ scope - 10 lbs, 12 oz
(The Swarovski Z6 scope is a pig - but it sure has nice optics)
Barrel length 24"
Bbl diameter at muzzle - .670"
LOP 14"
Forearm lenght 7-3/4"

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Well, have you booked the trip yet? This one might be your nicest yet.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
It's awfully nice, that's for sure. Whether it's the nicest yet is fun to ponder. I have five big bores laid out tonight and I'm taking notes so I can get it just right for the 404 I'm working on. There are actually a few things I would change now on this 416. Perfection is such an elusive goal.

One of these days I'm going to get everything just right and I'll have to quit building rifles.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen and handled Forrest's new 416 Rigby and picture's do not even come close to doing it justice (not that the pictures are bad).

The flattop checkering was very nice and there was plently of "grip" in the checkering.

The gun's balance is what we all want in a big bore DGR, with the scope off the rifle comes up with the sights aligned (bead in the shallow V) and the trigger was awesome.

I was tempted to walk out of the store with it, while he was filling out the paper work.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest, Duane and all involved.......that is a beautiful rifle. You sure have an impressive collection.

Great to hear that you hunt them. I'm taking one of mine on a 2 week pack trip in Wyoming in a couple of days chasing the mulies. Sometimes when the hunting is slow and the glassing is long, it's nice to just look over your rifle.

Really nice stuff!!

Shane Thompson

Posts: 125 | Location: Soda Springs, ID 83276 | Registered: 25 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have five big bores laid out tonight and I'm taking notes so I can get it just right for the 404 I'm working on. There are actually a few things I would change now on this 416. Perfection is such an elusive goal.

One of these days I'm going to get everything just right and I'll have to quit building rifles.

I would really like to see a picture of those 5 big bore you laid out...and can't imagine what you would change about the 416?

Best,

Jim

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

ForrestB,
I appreciate the humor, but I am sure that shootaway will think you agree with his "loose screw" approach to everything.

Sorry you got strung along by a certain custom action builder, but glad you got out of it with your deposit.
Me too, about the same time as you, only wasted a year and a half and got no interest!!!
I feel lucky with that, and hope some simple honesty will straighten up his business.

My heartfelt sympathy goes out to you.
None of my rifles are perfect either,
and I can't seem to quit either. Cool

If shootaway posts here, please don't quote him and I won't see it.
The ignore function works until he gets quoted.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Congrats Forrest on another masterpiece!

Posts: 5 | Location: Friendswood, Tx | Registered: 28 June 2007Reply With Quote