Find
Notify
Tools

So you want to be a stockmaker...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted
Some of you may not be watching the Searcy Scholarship rifle thread but you might be interested in seeing the photos and comments Duane Wiebe posted. Duane is building the stock for the rifle and has posted a series of photos that are just terrific.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...043/m/347103474/p/12

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
holy cow!!
amazing

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39692 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Always love watching a true artist at work. Smiler

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Those posts are pretty amazing. Think I'll stick to finishing semi-inlets as best I can.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
Those posts are pretty amazing. Think I'll stick to finishing semi-inlets as best I can.

I'm not even qualified to use a can of spray paint, so I'm pretty amazed at anyone who can finish a semi-inlet.

Duane's pictures and descriptions are good, but I'm not sure I want to try that at home just yet. From all the scribbling I see on the blank, I'm pretty certain he's leaving out some vitally important information.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
From all the scribbling I see on the blank, I'm pretty certain he's leaving out some vitally important information.

Forrest, it's a kind of voodoo. I've seen similar scribblings in remote parts of Benin.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Excellent posts and pictures!!!

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:

I'm not even qualified to use a can of spray paint, so I'm pretty amazed at anyone who can finish a semi-inlet.

Duane's pictures and descriptions are good, but I'm not sure I want to try that at home just yet. From all the scribbling I see on the blank, I'm pretty certain he's leaving out some vitally important information.

Having attempted a few semi inlets myslef I can tell you that what you can't see in those photos is the confidence that comes with years of working at the craft. He doesn't have to think about what to do next or what tool to use next, he instinctively knows what to do next and what tool to use next. And he has the confidence to know how close to the line he can go without going over, and how close everything needs to fit, etc.

Mr. Wiebe's reputation as a master stockmaker is well deserved indeed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

Thanks for posting the link.
Duane's work is amazing, and I glad to see some pix of what he does.
I completed ONE semi inletted stock in 1970.. Emphasis on the word ONE Big Grin
A guy gave me a Walnut stock blank with figure in it like the one Duane is working on. So, I took it to Hunter's Lodge in Millvale, PA and had Charlie Flaig semi inlet it to a classic configuration, then I finished the job. It's a Mauser 98 with a Douglas barrel in 22-250, and a Canjar single set trigger. It's my most accurate rifle, and will shoot three shots into a 1/4" group at 100 yards.

Thanks again for the link.

Don

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
A guy gave me a Walnut stock blank with figure in it like the one Duane is working on.

That is what I call one heck of a buddy.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
A guy gave me a Walnut stock blank with figure in it like the one Duane is working on.

That is what I call one heck of a buddy.

He and I were in the Army together, and we were buddies. After he left the Army he went to work in the Good Wood business... Big Grin

Don

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Amazing. Just amazing. This will be a piece of work. Thank you , Forrest and Glen, for letting me be a "part" of this.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

From all the scribbling I see on the blank, I'm pretty certain he's leaving out some vitally important information.

Hey Forrest, at least you understand, some of us would never have a clue...and I include myself in that category...

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
More photos have been added by Duane... Take a look.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote