THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Must have tool for all gunsmiths and restorations!!!!

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Must have tool for all gunsmiths and restorations!!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
http://sploid.gizmodo.com/watc...-everythi-1785935946

Laser cleaning applications

Introduction to laser cleaning

The Physics: how it works
The illustration on the left shows the effects of laser cleaning. The grey layer on top op the base material is the contamination. This layer will absorb the laser energy very well, whereas the base material (steel, aluminum, wood, plastics...) will reflect most of the energy.
The laser is short pulsed, this means that the laser beam is comparable to small bullets of light, shooting at a frequency of around 200.000 pulses/second!
When a bullet hits the absorbing layer, two things can happen:
Crimp effect:
The base material stays cold, while the absorbing layer heats up.The heat-expansion difference will cause the contaminant to crimp off the base material.
Evaporation:
The contaminant heats up that much, a plasma is created around the working area. This will cause evaporation.

Laser Cleaning Advantages
Cleaning with laser has gained so much interest because of the amount of advantages compared to traditional cleaning methods.
The most popular methods of industrial cleaning known today are Chemical, Thermochemical, Thermal, Grinding and Blasting. In many cases, laser cleaning can overcome the downsides of these traditional methods and even improve the production process in general. For every application where laser cleaning is used to replace older techniques, unforeseen advantages came up. It is impossible to list everything, but these are the most common advantages of laser cleaning:
No medium used, only electricity
Base material is not damaged
Higher levels of 'clean' can be reached
Easy to integrate in a production line
No chemical waste
Local cleaning is possible
Low noise, no dust
Stable process
Low running costs
Lower sensitivity to corrosion after cleaning

The Future of Laser Cleaning

Nowadays, laser cleaning is taking big leaps forward. New markets approach us every day, asking for a solution for their business. Companies are convinced laser cleaning is 'proven-technology' where an investment can easily return itself within 1 or 2 years with ease!
New production lines are often equipped with lasers for cleaning continuously. No more block-ups, less maintenance interventions, better and consistent product quality... you name it.
In the future laser cleaning will be more and more adopted as a standard technique for optimizing new and old production lines. The market will grow significantly within 2-5 years, increasing the demand for cleaning lasers. This will get the competition going to develop higher power lasers, increasing the cleaning speed which can be reached.

Laser cleaning applications

Introduction to laser cleaning

The Physics: how it works
The illustration on the left shows the effects of laser cleaning. The grey layer on top op the base material is the contamination. This layer will absorb the laser energy very well, whereas the base material (steel, aluminum, wood, plastics...) will reflect most of the energy.
The laser is short pulsed, this means that the laser beam is comparable to small bullets of light, shooting at a frequency of around 200.000 pulses/second!
When a bullet hits the absorbing layer, two things can happen:
Crimp effect:
The base material stays cold, while the absorbing layer heats up.The heat-expansion difference will cause the contaminant to crimp off the base material.
Evaporation:
The contaminant heats up that much, a plasma is created around the working area. This will cause evaporation.

Laser Cleaning Advantages
Cleaning with laser has gained so much interest because of the amount of advantages compared to traditional cleaning methods.
The most popular methods of industrial cleaning known today are Chemical, Thermochemical, Thermal, Grinding and Blasting. In many cases, laser cleaning can overcome the downsides of these traditional methods and even improve the production process in general. For every application where laser cleaning is used to replace older techniques, unforeseen advantages came up. It is impossible to list everything, but these are the most common advantages of laser cleaning:
No medium used, only electricity
Base material is not damaged
Higher levels of 'clean' can be reached
Easy to integrate in a production line
No chemical waste
Local cleaning is possible
Low noise, no dust
Stable process
Low running costs
Lower sensitivity to corrosion after cleaning

The Future of Laser Cleaning

Nowadays, laser cleaning is taking big leaps forward. New markets approach us every day, asking for a solution for their business. Companies are convinced laser cleaning is 'proven-technology' where an investment can easily return itself within 1 or 2 years with ease!
New production lines are often equipped with lasers for cleaning continuously. No more block-ups, less maintenance interventions, better and consistent product quality... you name it.
In the future laser cleaning will be more and more adopted as a standard technique for optimizing new and old production lines. The market will grow significantly within 2-5 years, increasing the demand for cleaning lasers. This will get the competition going to develop higher power lasers, increasing the cleaning speed which can be reached.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27607 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Surface rust was never an issue. Heck Navel Jelly far cheaper than laser. Now if it removes rust and not the blueing?? Wink Can't see that doing a thing for pits.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
At $250,000 each I thought you would take two ramrod340 ?

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought you would take two ramrod340

I thought I might but decided on coffee instead.

Actually I missed the $$ shocker

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote