New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 ruger on a vz24 action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Are these two compatable? If so, then what must be done to insure flawless function.
I could always do a whelen or 9.3x62 but the 375 ruger really has my intertest.

Steve

Posts: 182 | Location: On the Yentna River, Ak. | Registered: 23 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Yes, it can be done .. no troubles .. just buying the ruger would be faster and cheaper, but your call

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yentna River:
Are these two compatable? If so, then what must be done to insure flawless function.
I could always do a whelen or 9.3x62 but the 375 ruger really has my intrust.

I had a .375 Ruger built on a JC Higgins(FN) action that started its life as a .270 Win. Besides installing a 21" McGowen barrel, it was just a matter of opening up the bolt face(and extractor), opening the feed rails and polishing the feed ramp. Feeding and extraction is flawless. Ejection is a minor issue in that the case periodically hits the inside of the bridge on its way out. This problem will be addressed shortly.

Please refer to the seventh photo in this thread started by Duane Wiebe

http://forums.accuratereloadin.../9411043/m/843106779

While I would preferred to go with aftermarket bottom metal, the budget wouldn't allow it. The stock mag box had its side-walls filed as thin as possible to improve the stacking angle and holds 3 rounds. The extractor was modified to snap over the rim(using the Mauser death grip on the extractor) of a fourth round.

Here's a pict. That's the original stock(with mods) that will be replaced at some point in time.

If It Doesn't Feed, It's Junk.

Posts: 407 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
I know you can't beat a beautiful mauser conversion. The 9.3 x 62 will be your cheapest option, no bolt face work and very little magazine and feed rail work. But the 375 Ruger is in another class.

If you want to go the way of the 375 Ruger however and if your on a budget, for the price you will pay to do the VZ24 conversion properly have a think about this.

If your just looking for a knock around rifle in 375 Ruger, I think you will find HOWA/VANGAURD have or are about to released one this year and you might find for the price are very hard to beat.

I've just put a 416 Ruger together on a HOWA VANGAURD, with a fluted 22 inch barrel and it really does shoot very well. The original rifle was a 300 Win MAag, so there was NO bolt face adjustment, no magazine or feed rail adjustments needed. The Vangaurd stocks already have internal cross bolts, it did need bedding and some inletting.
So far it's holding up to some pretty heavy, stiff loads

The conversion was pretty cheap

regards
S&F

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for all your helpful advice. The rifle will be for my sons college graduation and will be used primarily in Alaska.
Sents everyone agrees that the 375 ruger can be made to function properly in the vz24 action this will likely be what I do. I've already done a 358 win on a 24/47 yugo. That one turned out real nice. Hope this project turns out to be as successful.

Steve

Posts: 182 | Location: On the Yentna River, Ak. | Registered: 23 April 2003Reply With Quote