New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why Would Anyone.......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Why do you suppose anyone would drill and tap a hole into the chamber of a Remington 1100 shotgun barrel? This one came into the shop yesterday, and I advised the customer not to use the barrel. He agreed and gave the barrel to me. I plan to cross section it to use at school.

Bill Jacobs

1100 BBL by jakefromclemson, on Flickr

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 338 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can do one better than that. This was in the late 1980's

We had a new customer come into the gunshop with a Ruger Mini 14 and the B Square no drill scope mount on it.
They do have a hole in the front so you could drill and tap the front reciever bridge to hold down the front of the base.

Well this customer had drilled that hole by hand with his trusty hand drill, and wanted me to tap the hole.

I took one look at it and grabbed the bore light, yes he had drilled all the way thru the reciever, and also clear thru into the chamber.

I handed it back to him and said now that you have ruined the barrel, you can ship the gun back to Ruger so they can put a new barrel on it.

He was not very happy.

Those kind of persons are out there, you just have to be careful.

J Wisner

Posts: 1473 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had that mount drilled/tapped on a stainless Mini-14, the gunsmith told me he wore out two carbide taps doing it and wouldn't do another one.
The joke was on me, of course, it still shot three-inch groups at 100 yards...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14595 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first thought would be putting a pressure transducer on it for a legitimate reason, but that is in the wrong place. Is it clean through the barrel?

Posts: 10986 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Simply an amateur mistake, or gross error. Happens all the time on any mechanical device. Mechanical skills are rapidly vanishing from our society; not too long ago men had to fix things; no longer. We throw them away; not worth fixing and some guns are in that category too.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
when i used to coon finger rifles at gunshows, i carried a plastic "pick" to feel around in the chamber for front scope screw "drill through" .. it wasn't like 2% or anything, but shockingly common for at least one of the scope bases to be drilled through on mausers, springfields, and enfields ...

along with a flashlight and a white lens cloth

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That looks as old as the original blue ! And it goes all the way through, interesting , a factory pressure tap , just kidding .

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I blew the pic up and to me it looks like a stamping, not an actual screw. Have you looked at the inside of the barrel? Have you tried turning it? I think you should as you may have screw the gun out of a perfectly good barrel!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I blew the pic up and to me it looks like a stamping, not an actual screw. Have you looked at the inside of the barrel? Have you tried turning it? I think you should as you may have screw the gun out of a perfectly good barrel!!!

Why don't you simply take a look with a bore scope ?

Craftsman

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I don't see the hole. I'm with v-one. Believe its just a stamping.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vzerone:

I almost scoffed at this until I looked very closely, as vzerone suggested. Now I'm not so sure. I spent many years looking at pieces of metal through a microscope, and the slot in that "screw" actually looks to me like it's V-shaped in profile, rather than square. That really could be indicative of a stamping. I certainly wouldn't want to try and back that out with a common screwdriver. Any chance of a definitive check, perhaps via borescope as per Craftsman, or is it gone from your possession now?

one of us
posted Hide Post
You guys may be right. Has anyone ever seen this stamping? I can't see it on the inside of the barrel, but it is certainly possible that a screw was honed off flush with the chamber wall.

Bill Jacobs

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 338 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting.......

The more I stare at the "screw" head, I can imagine the head being contoured with the barrel.....and the "stamp" outline being lighter at the top and bottom, as compared to the middle.

I'll stop staring now.....and plan to use the new $49.95 borescope Santa is supposed to bring me.

Kevin

Posts: 412 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
OMG!!!
I should have looked at the picture; that is NOT a screw; it is a final acceptance stamp, along with the REP.
This is from a gunsmith's shop???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
OMG!!!
I should have looked at the picture; that is NOT a screw; it is a final acceptance stamp, along with the REP.

Yes and I'm the one that spotted it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should call that gentleman back and give him his barrel back and make all well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Alors, Hastings, we use the little grey cells, yes?"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a look at its age and placement would leade you to realize it was factory, never mind the fact it's a common stamp .
I didn't want to ruffle any feathers in my earlier post , just wanted to raise concern .

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Anyone know when Remington used that stamp? I have 3 870's. All were purchased new during the 1960-1980's period. None have that "screw head" stamp.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I always thought the anchor(?), immediately to the right of REP was the final stamp.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just looked at an old Remington 1100 bbl. and it has what looks like a 'G'. rotated about 45 deg. ccw in that spot.
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Sorry VZ, didn't read your post either, but you get the credit for spotting it.
Remington had many proof marks over the years; I think each inspector got to design his own.
Yes, that guy should get his barrel back, with an apology for the diagnosis.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
OMG!!!

Yes and I'm the one that spotted

it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes right AFTER I did .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary MacDonald:
quote:
quote:
OMG!!!

Yes and I'm the one that spotted

it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes right AFTER I did .

I don't see where you mentioned that it wasn't a screw. You're post right ahead of mine you said something about a pressure tap, then just kidding. That told the OP NOTHING!! I beliee dpcd agrees with me too.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
I beliee dpcd agrees with me too.

I beliee, I beliee! Big Grin

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the help! The customer is now a happy camper Big Grin

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
quote:
I beliee dpcd agrees with me too.

I beliee, I beliee! Big Grin

Oooo la la! I beliee too z1r