THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Anyone know about fitting a M91 Mauser bolt to an M1889 Belgian Mauser Receiver.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone know about fitting a M91 Mauser bolt to an M1889 Belgian Mauser Receiver.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an M91 bolt and a M1889 Receiver that need to be fitted.
The etractor cam on the receiver needs to be mover ahead about .060. Anyone game?

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Not me, hell no

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38544 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is similar to taking to your room the last woman in the bar at closing time: sometimes it's better not none.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its either the last woman at the bar at closing or going home with the NY Times.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Need more info.

The primary extraction cam on the 1891 is at the interface between the left front of the bolt root and the slanted left rear surface of the receiver's rear bridge. Are you saying that the bolt is too long or short, or is it that the 1889's primary extraction cam is located somewhere else like on the Mannlichers?

What about headspace? What about sear/safety engagement? Lots of unknowns here.

Need more info.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
Need more info.

The primary extraction cam on the 1891 is at the interface between the left front of the bolt root and the slanted left rear surface of the receiver's rear bridge. Are you saying that the bolt is too long or short, or is it that the 1889's primary extraction cam is located somewhere else like on the Mannlichers?

What about headspace? What about sear/safety engagement? Lots of unknowns here.

Need more info.
Regards, Joe

Joe
The rear surface of the receiver bridge needs to move forward about .060 to clear the root of the bolt handle.

The rest of the receiver is pretty much identical and it is not barreled.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's another way of saying that the bolt handle root needs to move backward. Might be worth a thought, always modify the least expensive part first (grin). If you FUBAR it, I have an orphan 1891 bolt.

Moving anything like that means that either the sear or the safety might have to be modified to work properly but I don't see any reason why it couldn't be done. But I'm not accepting any new work right now, sorry.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could you take 0.060 off the rear of the locking lugs? Like he said, do the easiest first. You could set the barrel back 0.060 and never know the difference.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Why go through all that trouble to replace a $30 bolt. 1889 bolt

You gotta look for parts first then start making chips if nothing around

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DO NOT TOUCH the locking lugs!

Come to think of it, a collector/restorer might pay enough for the parts so that you could buy a complete 1891 action or even rifle.
Regards, Joe

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
well yes never touch the lugs. For one they are most likely case hardened and removing the case would render it nearly useless. Two you significantly reduce the shear area on the lugs and maybe to the point that they could fail. I for one would not want to find out.

And if a collector is willing to pay enough for you to buy another action even a 91 Arg I'd stick with the Argentine but get one seven years younger A 98 Argentine would make a decent platform to build a rifle on. Ya Ya Ya I know it's a waste of money to dump into a mauser to get a decent hunting rifle out of it. We all have our way's of wasting money

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't touch the locking lugs on anything but an 1889/91, but I wouldn't build anything even remotely hot on such an action anyway. Actually, who would bother doing such a major modification? I would throw the thing in a drawer and look around for something more productive to do.