Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Booze: Scotland cheers
Women: Aus, Chile', W.Canada
Food: Italy
beer

Oh Yeah, Almost forgot, as for custom rifles and petty jelousy, I have neither! Big Grin

I have stood and admired some absolutely beautiful firearms that I would never take anywhere.

I've looked at what I consider semi-customs that are very nice and would be useful.

But then there is the catagory of rifles that are labeled "Custom" that offer little if anything over several off the shelf rifles. To me it's a waste of money! In this class are rifles that others have paid enough for that they get there feelings hurt if I give them an honest opinion. Roll Eyes

Like many things, when a business is small there is way more quality assurance and care. When the name is overly recognizable, quality tends to drop in direct proportion to the rise in cost. This isn't always the case, as there are some very talented and famous names in custom guns that are indeed the very best. But they don't hire out for help to keep up with demand, they let demand set the price.

I'd be afraid of "hurting" some of the very rifles I'd love to own.

I may go for a semi-custom rifle thats a useful addition and retire several. I doubt I'd spend the money for one of the works of art simply 'cause it would have to stay home! Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it was only a week or so ago that someone posted a custom rifle for sale for $7000.00.
A few members here nearly fell over themselves running it down to the extent of breaking down the cost of the parts and boasting on what they could "do" it for.
All this without actually seeing the rifle.

And many more here boast of getting a few bucks off something, and then we're all wondering what happened to the quality of U.S. guns.
They're built down to a price that's what.

If I can afford it I'm quite prepared to pay a tradesman to sit on his bum and think, if it's going to improve the end product.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Let us not forget the other side of the spectrum. Some guy will post that his trusty Savage/Bushnell combo works just fine for him and gets roasted to no end. Pettiness has no boundry nor does either side of the price spectrum have a monopoly.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let us not forget the other side of the spectrum. Some guy will post that his trusty Savage/Bushnell combo works just fine for him and gets roasted to no end. Pettiness has no boundry nor does either side of the price spectrum have a monopoly.

Amen dempsey

The only thing I care about is how well does it shoot. Pretty buys nothing in my book. Unless it's a readhead!

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemens:

I wish to go on record as saying that my jealousy is not petty.

Glenn

Posts: 254 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only problem with French women is that is where French men come from.

Spanish and Danish women.

My 4 banger Nissan's engine croaked at 230,000. The body, brakes, drive train and tires were still ok, so I had the engine, transmission and radiator rebuilt for $3,600.00. If I keep it on the roads I should get another 150,000 - 200,000. The biggest problem with my Toyota 6 cylinder 4 WD is the seats break down every 80,000 miles and I have to keep checking the junk yard computers for a few months.

For food - Italy.

For booze - Scotland.

You can find the highest quality rifles where ever there is an eddy in the river of money.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"And a new study shows Asian Ladies get breast cancer less because their breast ARE different".

Yes they are. More like a carpenters dream....as flat as a plank Big Grin

About women...I guess I would stick to the Norwegians..They are outdoor minded, know how to grab a hold and hold a high hygenic standard Razzer

(Paul H..that Viking blood is strong. Even now a thousand years ++ later, they still can trace it in the present population on the Scottish Western Isles of the Hebrides )

If I can have some Australian red wine , some single malt from Islay and some good French food, then the life is good to live......and ofcourse...the Irish black stuff, the Guiness man, the Guiness ( ok throw in a custom rifle in 300 H&H for good measure ..THEN I´m happy )

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1879 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arild Iversen:

(Paul H..that Viking blood is strong. Even now a thousand years ++ later, they still can trace it in the present population on the Scottish Western Isles of the Hebrides )

Heh,
My blood runs Scottish Fifer, Prussian, English and American Indian... The scottish part means 1/2 viking from that era.

Booze - Irish- I prefer Guiness above all other booze, if I can't have that, then excellent rum (kinds look the same!)

Cars - American 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th... That's what in my driveway today, being driven by my family. My chevy has 216k, with little more than oil changes. I am openminded.. I'll consider euro cars, as I have owned a few

Food - Southern US .. I mean, sourthern italian food is great, and the southern italian stuff (cream, not tomatoe) is really good in houston's hot weather... but steak is better!!

Women? -- ALL, inspected on an individual basis. cheers

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally I'm not a big fan of custom breasts..

Jeff

In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king.

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
A man that only loves money will never see the value in anything other than the dollar itself.
The same guy will give you a 20 year old fruit cake for christmas with a recycled card with the names from last year blotted out with white out. He wears verticle striped polyester pants from the seventies, Is most likely a mechanical engineer, or an economist. He has a plastic pocket protector that used to say storage technology on it but thats is all faded out thirty years ago, company included. He's never had a girlfriend much less a wife, cause that would cost money. He has that first dollar framed but it's burried someplace in a pile of stinky dirty polyester clothes. If he was to buy a high end rifle or anything cool he would need to fill out a purchace aquistion report to his mother and father for their approval, because mommy and daddy know whats best for little darling. Poor little Homer Darling are you unhappy. Well put George and Ben and Thomas to work for you and break out of your oh so logical moldy mold and go out and buy that $3000.00 piece of Turkish Walnut and get a truly awesome rifle built on it. Just think, your very own high end hand built rifle and it's all yours, completely made just for you and no one else. Homer, remember this, for your money you just bought hours and hours of another mans LIFE, because he to is in love with money. He's just not a hopeless geek like you. HellOOOOOOOooooooo.
Timan

Posts: 1225 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I personanly probably could afford a nice custom if i really wanted too , But I would cry like a baby when I put the 1st couple scratches on it. I could,nt see my self taking a 10,000 dollar rifle into the heavy timber unless I had a few more like it in the safe.
but I have allways felt one of the ugliest traits in the American charicter is the inability some of us have to be envious without being bitter.
It also seems many of our people seem to define rich as anyone who has a nickle more than you do ! ...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
The only problem with French women is that is where French men come from.

Spanish and Danish women.

My 4 banger Nissan's engine croaked at 230,000. The body, brakes, drive train and tires were still ok, so I had the engine, transmission and radiator rebuilt for $3,600.00. If I keep it on the roads I should get another 150,000 - 200,000. The biggest problem with my Toyota 6 cylinder 4 WD is the seats break down every 80,000 miles and I have to keep checking the junk yard computers for a few months.

For food - Italy.

For booze - Scotland.

You can find the highest quality rifles where ever there is an eddy in the river of money.

LD

Lawndart

I wish we had guys like you for physicians where I live.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Re: J D Power & Associates. Has anyone here filled one out? It's about 10 pages long and takes an hour if you want to be really thorough.

They included a crisp new $1 bill, saying it was my incentive. I had a good laugh! I folded the unanswered questionairre into the postage paid envelope with this note:

I'm sure you don't work for a dollar an hour, neither do I.
Funnily enough, I never heard back from them.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My choices in autos:
1. CARS definately a SAAB and Toyota family. One Ford of neither good nor bad qualities that is due for trading off within a year or so when it hits 10 years old, it will probably be replaced with Subaru. Buying the third SAAB in the family this weekend or next week. Important in my families book is snow cars, how they handle on unplowed roads is a big buying concern.
2. Trucks- US made only, prefer Chevy and Ford. 3/4 ton as a min, 4x4.
3. Drinks- I am a Guiness drinker, I also like Modela Negro from Mexico. Scottish and Irish ales and porters are also welcome. In strong spirits Irish whiskey or Tequila ( good stuff, agave sipping kind ). For all my liking its about a 4-5 time a year affair, not much a drinker really.
4. Women-1 ea same one for 26 years, no other interest.
5. Food- All kinds, Southhern, Thai, Korean, Japanses, Southern Italy, middle eastern and Mediterainian, I am open minded if it tastes good, it tastes good. While the cruisine can vary, the quality is inflexible, I like good well made food, where the dish originated doesn't matter much if the food is good.
6. Guns- mostly American and European. I am a mauser nut, strong Czech influence in my rifles, with Belgium having probably the highest number of entries after American made. Quality again is my bug, I don't care where it comes from.

My stuff includes everything from full out custom to bone stock with variations in between, with a price range from $100 to several K. Some of my least valuable rifles give me the most enjoyment, it isn't always about dollars. My old JC Higgins ( High Standard, pre serial number ) shotgun isn't worth much more than scrap metal, its a vetran of hundreds of hunts over the years, still works great, never broke, I think I have $60 invested in that old shotgun when I bought it, I don't know how many shells have been through it, beyond count is my only answer, 20 years of hunting however that many is. If I am bird or bunny hunting its still my number 1. I haven't even bothered to look up whats its worth, not much I am sure is the answer. I certainly wouldn't trade the dollars for all the memories and great hunts I have had with that old trombone. Funny that old shotgun just wormed its way into my heart over the years by simpling being a reliable old friend.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skibum:
Personally I'm not a big fan of custom breasts..

Jeff

Here here, factory originals only thumb

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with djpaintles. I have worked on all of them for about 40YRS. That being said my 2002 GMC Duramax has 150,000 miles and got worked on in my shop today. We replaced the waterpump. It still has the original brakes. Everything else is original except for the tires. My customers that own Toyota, Honda, Nissan, and Mazda spend far less money than our American brands. Yes, they all have unusual problems from time to time.
David Christman is building a 458 Lott for me and for sure it has a nice chunk of wood and he is not building it for cheap. I will hate the first scratch, but will hunt with it.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul, I agree. I don't know why so many folks trash others on ANY of these topics, but it sure happens a lot.

I think American cars are getting better but haven't caught the Japanese. We've apparently caught the Germans on problem rates (except Porsche) from what I've been reading. I hope the Americans continue to get better, because I keep buying them. I think Chevy makes great drivelines for the price. Efficient V8's at low dollars (German V8's are more efficient, but at 3x the cost). My 4K lb truck's V8 gets 17 in mixed driving and 20 on the highway. Also, the GM automatic transmissions are awfully good and were used by Mercedes until recently. Unfortunately, we don't make many with manual tranny's anymore.

If the American cars keep getting better, people (besides me) will buy them again. Unfortunately, they'll have to prove themselves for several years to erase the bias before they'll get market recognition.

I do get kind of irritated when the automotive press won't recognize a good American car, like where the American car has better performance specs than the exotic foreign car, but loses because of "driver feel" and "cheap feeling interior plastics".

I am always shocked when I realize that people who care about how stylish their interior plastics are, are often allowed to vote.

American bourbon and beer for me. Spanish women, especially one little Madrilena who's given me 4 kids. Food is Southwestern American, including New Mexico style enchiladas and prime rib.

Steve

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As far as breasts go I like the ones I can touch more than the ones I can just look at.................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul H, reading your post tells me that you are not interested to discuss rifles.You are ready to say anything that wins you approval.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Paul H, reading your post tells me that you are not interested to discuss rifles.You are ready to say anything that wins you approval.

Shootaway, please look at Paul's history of posts. He's always trying to be helpful. It should tell you he isn't interested in a bunch of cyber tough guys dumping all over each other. Look at all the threads over 3 pages long and you'll see what he means.

Mean-spirited people hiding behind computer screens being rude to other folks who can't hit them only appeal to like-minded folks.

Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
I will check out his posts.That post just seemed to me an attack on people who don't take his view.So then who is mean spirited.If you don't take the view of many you are bashed.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
schromf: Guns- mostly American and European. I am a mauser nut, strong Czech influence in my rifles, with Belgium having probably the highest number of entries after American made. Quality again is my bug, I don't care where it comes from....My stuff includes everything from full out custom to bone stock with variations in between, with a price range from $100 to several K. Some of my least valuable rifles give me the most enjoyment

Hear! Hear! Could be me.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jealous, why hell yes I am. Petty jealous, not a bit. The men and women that own, build some of these guns have worked very hard to aquire them.
I love the pictures posted and often find little things they have done that I would like to include maybe in my next project.
Thanks to everybody that does take the time to take and post these pictures.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well boys having scanned through this disertation on the great american way and products and egos that Paul started, my advice for anyone whos ego and feelings are hurt, and needs a boost, just try to put on the standard size Chinese condom. Make ya grin all over the place and generally make ya feel better about All -American Products.

Posts: 253 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does this plan make sense?

I'm looking for a 86-89 Suburban with little to no body rust (you can find them out here). Tear it down to the frame, re-paint and replace parts as needed.
Trade the engine in on a rebuilt 350 V-8, go with a 400 transmission. Re-do the lower half of the interior in Rhino-Liner. Drive for the rest of my life as a fishing/hunting rig.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Seems like a lot of fluff and fury here just because some guy doesn't like the fact that I used to buy Mercedes convertibles for my town and highway vehicles. I also prefer almost any Mauser product to a Savage 340. Anyone got a problem with that?

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lawndart,

Great plan. You can get any part on that truck at any boneyard, and there's enough of an aftermarket for all the parts that brake pads are like $16, water pumps are $60, etc, etc. But re-build the engine yourself.

We had a rep our company used out West who would buy an older Suburban every 3 years, tear out the carpeting, and use it for sales/hunting. After 3 years, he'd have put 150K miles on it, something would break, and he'd rotate.

Steve

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
A good friend once told me
Don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things! jumping
gunmaker

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1860 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does this plan make sense?

I'm looking for a 86-89 Suburban with little to no body rust (you can find them out here). Tear it down to the frame, re-paint and replace parts as needed.
Trade the engine in on a rebuilt 350 V-8, go with a 400 transmission. Re-do the lower half of the interior in Rhino-Liner. Drive for the rest of my life as a fishing/hunting rig.

LD

My 93 3/4 ton came factory set up like that. In 92 only the 1 ton trucks came set up with that tranny. They put them in the Suburbans in 93, mine is a 350, my plan ( I ordered mine new 12 years ago, is when my engine finally starts giving me trouble, is put a warrantied Targetmaster from GM, then have the tranny gone through at the same time. Bonus my way is is a 3/4 ton, much heavier factory springs and brakes, same drivetrain you want.

I have a friend who just bought one the year your looking for confirgured pretty much ( not tranny ) like you discribed for about $2800. No rust V8 motor.

I wouldn't change out the tranny, PIA I did it one my Ford, your going to end up fiddling with both drivelines shorting one, lengthing the other then balancing them, definate cost driver, if your going through the effort, get rid of the chain driven transfer case, and put in the gear driven one, and run a PTO to a front wench, put a custom front bumper on it, throw a hand held electric or better yet a chain saw winch in your tool box (works a hell of a lot better if you need it to pack meat up a incline wheere you can't get your truck to ), your good to go. I have contemplated putting a welded frame roof basket on mine at times, with a removable arm and a hand crank, so I could put heavy stuff and meat up there...pluses and minuses to that, I drove through about a mile of willow a couple of years ago and that would have blocked or severly slowed down me getting back in there.

Anyway, SUBURBANS ARE GREAT HUNTING TRUCKS****

I am contemplating a Subaru wagon with a cross country kit and taller aggressive tires, ( snow winter set, summer set, I think I could get one of those in all but the worst of places, but for $100 I would 4 trips to the woods instead of 2. Might even go 5-6 I am looking at a 4 banger. Still thinkin about it, will still keep the burb though, its killer in snow I can get through it up till I am pushing snow with my bumper and chassis, which means about 2 feet on the ground, with chains and studded snow tires and a sandbag on the rear wheelwells, mine does great.

Edit: OBTW Chevy is putting Allison 1000 series six speed auto in those now days, those are bad assed transmissions.....find that in a Japanese truck Wink

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is easier to criticize than create.

Regarding vehicles. The last Ford truck that I owned (1987) lasted 13 years and would have gone longer. Customer service from Ford is as poor as it gets. By the way the Truck was a "top of the line" F-150 XLT Lariet....Made In Canada with a Japanese anti-lock brake system...So much for Made in the USA.

I have had a Toyota Tundra for 6 years (assembled in the USA), good customer service...but un-needed, hope that record continues.

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 309 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've scrimped and saved and spent a lot of cash on 4 custom mausers that I am very pleased with. They get used a lot and have been worth every penny. I know I shoot better through their quality.

Latterly as I get to know more I get irritated when I see overpricing and/or poor quality but I wouldn't let the owner know that.

But when you see an (very well put together) assembly of top notch parts going for £5,950 ie $10,000US that would cost $2,500US in the USA it takes a bit of discipline to keep quiet.

Likewise when you see a 'Best quality English stalking rifle' utilising a MkX action I get a little irritated.

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Well I think the original premise all this started from is flawed, no offense Paul.

There may be a couple of people that will run down whatever you put up, but not many. I love looking at the fine customs, $10-20K seems to get you a really fine piece of functional art.

Now if you're talking about $3-5K for a trued remchester action in a plastic stock, well I'm happy to trash that. Those aren't "fine" custom rifles, just utilitarian ones, maybe put together well, but...

Once you get over about $2K you need to be getting some artistry in my opinion.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First let me say that I can't afford a custom rifle, but I CAN DROOL...so keep them coming

On the other subject; U.S. made cars....Get real, Toyota Avalon is right at the top. styled in Southern California, engineered in California and Michigan, and assembled in Kentucky from 75 percent U.S.-made parts. Check out the Fords, Chevy's and German owned Chrysler...it says US/Canadian made parts.
I have worked in the automotive OEM for 15 yrs. Worked for a German owned company in partnership with a Japaneese company making parts for the big 3 (in the US). I currently work for a US owned company making parts for the big 3, Toyota, VW, and Mercedes. We ship to Ford in Mexico and Brazil, Toyota in Japan, get parts from Mexico and Canada. China is currently one of our competators. Its all about quality period. I buy what runs the longest and cost least to maintain and gets the best gas mileage.

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:
Why is it, whenever the smiths who build the most expensive rifles are brought up, some folks simply have to cut down their products and say they aren't worth it et al? At best you come across as jelous, and at most, ignorant of those folks offerings. I think the real issue is folks that are insecure that they can't afford the nicest rilfes, and have to make themselves feel better by saying, well that stuff is just a ripoff.

I drive Toyotas, they are utterly reliable and do everything I ask of. They are not Mercedes, and I am astute enough to know the difference in quality between the two vehicles. Yes, both will start every time, and get me from point A to point B in the same time.

If you can't afford the nicest guns built, that's fine, most of us can't. Just don't disparage those that can afford such wares, and those who build them.

With all due respect Paul, I think your analysis is flawed in that it assumes the answer to the very issue in dispute without actually proving it, to wit: that the guns [or gunmakers] which are sometimes criticized as being overpriced are in fact not over priced. I'll concede that if this conclusion is true, then it is not illogical to examine motives in an effort to perhaps understand why the critic reached a flawed conclusion about value. On the other hand, until it is established that the critic is incorrect in his value analysis, speculation about his motives is irrelevant. Motive only becomes an issue [logically] after an analysis has been shown to be erroneous, at which point it may be interesting to try and ascertain
what influenced the discussant to come to a wrong conclusion.

The problem with paying $7500.00 for a reworked Winchester action in a McMillan stock, with aluminum one-piece scope bases, a nice blueing job, pillar bedding, a good trigger, nice bottom metal [and even a machined magazine box!] is that a virtually equivalent product can be had for less than $3,000.00 from a dozen or more gunsmith's nationwide [probably several dozen]. Indeed, if a benchrest capable gunsmith did the work, accuracy may even be better than a Echols or Miller product. To repeat: For the price of an Echol's Legend, one can have a rifle with the same steel components to the same degree of precision and an exhibition grade walnut stock with nice checkering. I would gladly pay $7500.00 for such a rifle, were I in the market, but not for a fiberglass stocked version which I can have elsewhere at half the price.

Best,

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear how much you gus like your pus. My 2002 silverado 6 cys has 97,000 It too has the origional breaks . All I have changed is the belt and tires I think I will do the battery this weekend , I might not need to but i will anyway. ...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To put things into a bit of perspective...

Was watching the news tonite and a Van Gough painting on auction is expected to bring, are you ready for this, $40 to $60 MILLION dollars. Sort of makes a $5,000.00 custom rifle seem rather inexpensive! Smiler

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:
To put things into a bit of perspective...

Was watching the news tonite and a Van Gough painting on auction is expected to bring, are you ready for this, $40 to $60 MILLION dollars. Sort of makes a $5,000.00 custom rifle seem rather inexpensive! Smiler

Nah, I think it just makes Van Gogh over rated. Petty jelousy?,,,,not

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lost Oki:
First let me say that I can't afford a custom rifle, but I CAN DROOL...so keep them coming

On the other subject; U.S. made cars....Get real, Toyota Avalon is right at the top. styled in Southern California, engineered in California and Michigan, and assembled in Kentucky from 75 percent U.S.-made parts. Check out the Fords, Chevy's and German owned Chrysler...it says US/Canadian made parts.
I have worked in the automotive OEM for 15 yrs. Worked for a German owned company in partnership with a Japaneese company making parts for the big 3 (in the US). I currently work for a US owned company making parts for the big 3, Toyota, VW, and Mercedes. We ship to Ford in Mexico and Brazil, Toyota in Japan, get parts from Mexico and Canada. China is currently one of our competators. Its all about quality period. I buy what runs the longest and cost least to maintain and gets the best gas mileage.

I'll tell you what when you lose your job to the Chinese tell yourself it was due to fact that their quality was better.

In regards to Toyota's made here in the states having 75% American made parts . This is just more misinformation that get's thrown out there.
Of that 75% how many of those companies are American owned ??

I'm amazed by the attitudes & responses I've seen here, it's almost like some of you go out of way to find fault in American made.
You bring up crap that happened 20-30 yrs ago & go out of your way to look for any negative you can find to justify why you won't support American companies with your purchases.

I'm seen where guys have posted that they've had an American vechile in which they've put on more then 150,000 miles & never had a lick of problems, but hell that's the exception according to some of you.

Let's think about something...the purchase of your vechile is probaly the second most expensive purchase most people will buy, second to their home & so many of you see no harm in spending that money with foreign companies that
could care less what happens to you or your families.

Do you really think that Toyota, Nisson & Honda gives a dam about us. Do you think that once they have taken over the total market they're
going to take care of their retirees or pay their workers a decent wage. Why would they ??

The Japs view business as war & here in the states as a battlefield & it's a war they're winning !

I know alot of you think that this is just compettion & that the American companies can't or don't know how to compete, but it's not.
The American automotive industries is saddled with a hugh retiree cost 10 times what the Japs have to deal with. They have to deal with a union that has bred a mindset of us against them in regards to the workers & managment.
Back in the 70's GM could of broken the union, but the goverment stepped in & forced GM back to table to settle with the UAW.
They have employee medical coverage cost that is
the highest in the world.

With all that against them it's a wonder they're still in business. I wonder how many of us could stay in business if we had to deal with these issues & still be competitive.

For all you who thinks that it's your right to buy what you want I don't argue that point, it certainly is your right to spend your money as you see fit. But as with all things for every action there is a reaction.

What's going to happen if we lose our domestic industries ? Do you really think it's not going to have a ripple like effect.
If you don't think other segments of our economy will be effected you kidding your self.
When wages go down & jobs get scarce people don't spend money if they don't have it ...real simply.
How many of us don't have health insurance or know of people who don't have it. The fact is the number of people without health insurance is growing at a alarming number. Why ?

Tell your kids & grand kids that they have to compete with some third world country where the weekly wage is $75 & they're happy because they can buy a bike to go to work on. Tell your grand kids it's because they can't turn out the kind of quality that they do in China that should make them feel better.

How many of you really think your kids or grand children will be able to live & have a better life then you.
I've got 3 kids all with college degrees & not one of them can find a job that will pay them the kind of money I made at their age.

But what the hell most people don't give a dam.
They only care when it strikes close to home & most figure it's the other guy who's going to get the short end of the stick.
Action ....Reaction.

I mean if all else fails the goverment will be there to help take care of us or maybe some of our foreign friends will help.
They've always helped before when America was in need ?

The one thing I've lived my life by is "My actions will tell you everything you need to know about me"

I do everything I can to support American companies because I know in the long run it's what best for America & future generatios.

But hell, that's just me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My 93 3/4 ton came factory set up like that. In 92 only the 1 ton trucks came set up with that tranny. They put them in the Suburbans in 93, mine is a 350, my plan ( I ordered mine new 12 years ago, is when my engine finally starts giving me trouble, is put a warrantied Targetmaster from GM, then have the tranny gone through at the same time. Bonus my way is is a 3/4 ton, much heavier factory springs and brakes, same drivetrain you want.

I have a friend who just bought one the year your looking for confirgured pretty much ( not tranny ) like you discribed for about $2800. No rust V8 motor.

I wouldn't change out the tranny, PIA I did it one my Ford, your going to end up fiddling with both drivelines shorting one, lengthing the other then balancing them, definate cost driver, if your going through the effort, get rid of the chain driven transfer case, and put in the gear driven one, and run a PTO to a front wench, put a custom front bumper on it, throw a hand held electric or better yet a chain saw winch in your tool box (works a hell of a lot better if you need it to pack meat up a incline wheere you can't get your truck to ), your good to go. I have contemplated putting a welded frame roof basket on mine at times, with a removable arm and a hand crank, so I could put heavy stuff and meat up there...pluses and minuses to that, I drove through about a mile of willow a couple of years ago and that would have blocked or severly slowed down me getting back in there.

Anyway, SUBURBANS ARE GREAT HUNTING TRUCKS****

I am contemplating a Subaru wagon with a cross country kit and taller aggressive tires, ( snow winter set, summer set, I think I could get one of those in all but the worst of places, but for $100 I would 4 trips to the woods instead of 2. Might even go 5-6 I am looking at a 4 banger. Still thinkin about it, will still keep the burb though, its killer in snow I can get through it up till I am pushing snow with my bumper and chassis, which means about 2 feet on the ground, with chains and studded snow tires and a sandbag on the rear wheelwells, mine does great.

Edit: OBTW Chevy is putting Allison 1000 series six speed auto in those now days, those are bad assed transmissions.....find that in a Japanese truck

Schromf,

Thanks,
That info about the transmission/drive line issues probably saved me a month or two of cussin and bleeding.

LD

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Paul and Erik you guys are spot on. I can't afford those rifles we all drool over and with the kind of rough hunting I do I wouldn't be able to hunt with those beauties either for fear of irrepairable damage to such a fine peice. But I really appreciate every one that gets posted for what it is, the result of someones gift, talent and devotion to the craft. I too have wondered why so many can't just say something nice.

Right on!! thumb

Hey Erik do you ever run into any people in Norway with my last name? (Snellstrom)

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote