Find
Notify
Tools

proprietary
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
Pulled from another thread & I would like to know...

quote:
Aren't the JDJs Proprietary?

Just how long does a cartridge remain "Proprietary"? Indefinately?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found this.

Proprietary Rights are defined as:

Property rights of the owners of proprietary information which may be protected by law. In contracting, this term refers to the data belonging to the contractor, and may include financial information, intellectual property (concepts, designs, techniques), technical documentation, etc.

I take it from this that the JDJs will remain proprietary as long as JDJ wants them to.

Maybe 'Ol Blue/Kevin/22WRF can give us an attorney's opinion.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I see it kind of like Rocky Gibbs. He never gave the exact dimensions of his cartridges to others. Felt no one else could do it right. Sure many copied them. I think there were several slight variation out there. While Rocky was alive only he chambered for the true Gibbs. Not to say others didn't build rifles and call it a Gibbs. Bet you could have a reamer cut as close to a JDJ as you could measure call it something else and have no problem.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jerry Gebby did the same thing with the 22 Varminter, he patented or copyrighted the name and the case dimensions. How far did he get with this silliness?

We now know his exact-same cartridge as the 22-250 Remington.

Just have a reamer sized to the JDJ dimensions (with ANY minor change, or not), call it something else, and tell that JDJones idiot to go pound sand. JMOFWIW.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Do we want to bring up the WSM debacle????? popcorn

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
JD Jones has the copyright on the name and the drawings ... if you say you want a 123 JDJ, then you ARE using his idea and concept .. and its, in my opinion, appropriate to acknowledge that.
No more than chevy can make a car and call it the mustang --

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39665 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the Whisper series as well. You can't built a rifle and call it a 300 Whisper but you can build the same rifle, same chamber and call it a 300/221 with no problems.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. --- Greek Proverb

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
375JDJ...hmm...375x444 done.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
375JDJ...hmm...375x444 done.

thumb Wink dancing

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Proprietary rights may depend on where and when claimed. If claimed in the forms of copyights or patents (not the same things), they are derived from the laws of the nations in which claimed, and may be deemed bonafide within different situational limitations, and for different periods of time.

You can look up a lot of opinions here (amongst many other places):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_domain

The site linked to is not a provider of legal advice. For that, one needs to consult with an attorney.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote