New
Find
Notify
Tools
Spirited debate
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A couple weeks ago, there were a lot of bent feelers and raised eyebrows on the "debate" involving myself, Ted Blackburn, Steve Yamagishi and 22 WRF.

Happy ending (for Steve anyway) Ted has paid the principal on the note he owed to Steve

I felt it was only fair that all members be so advised

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Not to dredge things up but the "debate" has been on my mind because it was bad for both you and Ted.

I hope that people looked real close at what was said. There were a couple of statements by one side that simply did not hold water.

I always believe that if one side makes clearly false statements to sway opinion it is a sign that they are the guilty party.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
This horse was dead, why bring back the stench?

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It may be dead but justification of a wrong has probably got a lot to do with it. I think we know where the lie was.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dempsey:
This horse was dead, why bring back the stench?

Dempsey: It's like this. Having been accused publicly of not paying a debt, I felt there should be just as much effort expended to publicy note that the debt has been satisfied.

Were I the accused, I'd sure want that courtesy. Tell me where I'm wrong

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane,
I am likely asleep at the switch, but I thought you were/are a very skilled custom gun maker. In particular, I have admired your take down rifles and hope to afford one some day.

Is your new business "in addition" to the custom metal business or is this now your sole business?

I am not trying to get into your personal affairs, just curious. If you prefer, send a PM.

Thanks and good luck on the bottom metal business.

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Duane, only you three really know what is what in the varied accusations from both sides in that thread, everybody else can only go off perceptions. It's a damn shame if business is lost or reputations tarnished by an incorrect perception of either side by potential customers. As I stated in the old thread I don't think either party was well served by airing what happened publicly and don't think this thread is any different. I hope both ventures do well to the point of having inventory on hand at all times, cat fighting publicly doesn't help that along IMO, that's all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I know nothing about any of it , nor do I want to as It's none of my business !.

I will only say hopefully ALL party's involved experienced learned shook hands and had mutual respect !.

Learning Forgiving and continuing to live is far better than alternatives .

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dogcat: No problem. Sound Metal Products is a seperate entity from my regular gunmaking. It was formed to fill a need...I needed bottom metal to stay in business, not to put anyone out of business.

Filling my own needs also seems to be filling the needs of others...I make no apology for that.

Andy (Sunny Hills) and I are not only on friendly terms, we refer business to each other...wish it were so with _____!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dempsey:
Duane, only you three really know what is what in the varied accusations from both sides in that thread, everybody else can only go off perceptions. It's a damn shame if business is lost or reputations tarnished by an incorrect perception of either side by potential customers. As I stated in the old thread I don't think either party was well served by airing what happened publicly and don't think this thread is any different. I hope both ventures do well to the point of having inventory on hand at all times, cat fighting publicly doesn't help that along IMO, that's all.

Well, my take is 100% the opposite, if Steve had not posted that he was due the money, he'd still be sitting around with no money and no friend where he used to have both. He did the right thing in bringing it up IMO. He got paid and hopefully that's the end of it.

If someone owes me long past due money and is advertising a product for sale, then you can bet your bottom dollar that I won't silently sit there and wish them well.

I'm glad Mr. Wiebe posted this and it is behind all concerned now.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the whole thing stunk, along with everybody involved. It was a character assination from the get go, and went down hill from there.
Best,
Steve

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
do we really need to let this roil and boil?

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would someone please post a link to this thread, my curiosity is aroused.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Never saw the debate refered to by threadstarter, but it is always sad when personal matters goes public.

Please let us all respect each other enough not to press our laundry on everybody. The PM's work great if anyone has to accuse or abuse another member.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Gato, I understand your position, but I also understand the position of somebody who owes a debt who was then stabbed in the back and losing interest in paying that debt. Of course we don't know exactly who did what do we, we only know who cast the first stone. Hence my position that both sides lost in this one.

edit to add, I'm not saying anybody stabbed anybody in the back, I don't know. But it appears Mr. Blackburn felt this way and I speculated. I'm out of this one, shoulda never jumped back in.

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
I see I was a bit short in my above posting. It was not meant as crtitisism against anyone, just a general wish.

This forum is amazing. Amazingly ritch on authoritys, some of the best craftsmasters in the world, and experts on just about anything.

But there is a lot of lying, badmouthing,etc.etc - uncivilzed behavior, witch reduces the joy as a user considerably.

I just wish more could be gentlemen like Duane here.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDH:
I think the whole thing stunk, along with everybody involved. It was a character assination from the get go, and went down hill from there.
Best,
Steve

Well, if you were really that insulted by it, you could have volunteered to pay the "character" who was assinated's debt. But since you didn't, and it was brought to light, the "character" elected to pay it. What does that mean?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know what...why don't we just move on...My intent was apparently misunderstood by some...I take blame for that

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
and with that....

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002