Notify
Tools

Remington bolt handle came off
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
coffee
I haven't been connected with the factory for some time, but it is my understanding that Remington is still proof firing their firearms. I believe that they are required to by law so that they can meet The Commission internationale permanente pour l'épreuve des armes à feu portatives requirements in Europe. A lot of companies like Browning provisionally prove their guns, but I think that when they go to certain parts of Europe for sale, provisional proving is not acceptable and they must go to a government proof house before being sold. I believe the guys at Remington once told me that they could avoid the government proving step by doing it themselves to C.I.P.s standards. I'm not sure if that still holds true or if Remington is actually still proving each firearm, but they are still stamping them with proof makes which would indicate that they are. I think there are only 15 countries left in C.I.P. now. Most countries are content with provisional proving now days. The only time I fire proof loads now is in questionable, older guns that I am converting to higher bolt thrusts. I don't prove modern Remington manufacture, new bolts anymore for my own use. I never used to prove new Weatherby bolts, action bodies or barrels as the manufacturer was content with provisional proving.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just to set the record straight, I have seen a few Model 70 Winchesters where the brazing was poorly done and the handle came loose. Like Rod, I always silver soldered handles which had come off and never had a failure. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3577 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are right, the REP stamp on the barrel stands for Remington English Proof. I was perhaps misinformed. I'll check into it.

quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
coffee
I haven't been connected with the factory for some time, but it is my understanding that Remington is still proof firing their firearms. I believe that they are required to by law so that they can meet The Commission internationale permanente pour l'épreuve des armes à feu portatives requirements in Europe. A lot of companies like Browning provisionally prove their guns, but I think that when they go to certain parts of Europe for sale, provisional proving is not acceptable and they must go to a government proof house before being sold. I believe the guys at Remington once told me that they could avoid the government proving step by doing it themselves to C.I.P.s standards. I'm not sure if that still holds true or if Remington is actually still proving each firearm, but they are still stamping them with proof makes which would indicate that they are. I think there are only 15 countries left in C.I.P. now. Most countries are content with provisional proving now days. The only time I fire proof loads now is in questionable, older guns that I am converting to higher bolt thrusts. I don't prove modern Remington manufacture, new bolts anymore for my own use. I never used to prove new Weatherby bolts, action bodies or barrels as the manufacturer was content with provisional proving.

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
popcorn

Actually, I don't care if they have quit proving and making proof loads. I checked my cool dark corner the other day and I have just enough high pressure proof loads left to survive the zombie apocalypse. Providing that is, proof loads will kill zombies!

proof loads by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Listen to Dans40X. He has timed, micro tig welded, and modified many bolt handles for me. Remington, Mini Mauser, custom receivers, and Mausers. Ain't no better,quicker, or more reasonable than Dan.
http://accu-tig.com/

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, here's the answer from Remington:

Remington Support
Service Ticket Response

"All guns are function tested, but not all are test fired, we test fire some in each batch.

Thank you and best regards,
Remington Customer Services"

So that means they are not proofed or even test fired though stamped that way. And how do you function test a firearm without firing it? Especially semi-autos and pumps. That explains why we get so many new 1100's, 870's, and 11-87's that won't feed/cycle. We've had several that could not even be assembled without Dychem and a Dremel/file. Not to mention 700's that don't feed and stick rounds in the chamber. Also why we get rifles with no rifling. Then we put them up to our face and fire them with 60K psi+ loads for the first time. Go figure. Maybe things will change for the better with the bankruptcy reorganization. In the mean time I think I will go get a couple of tires and some rope for the test fire range.

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
In the grand scheme of things, test firing for proper safety/function is likely the most important part of building a firearm for the general public.
I am embarrassed as a long time Remington supporter that this is how they treat their business.

Posts: 395 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
I was a huge Remington fan even after they tried to screwed me. But lately (past several years) I have not seen good things or heard good things.

Around 1985 had a Model 788 in 243. Well we (My Dad) loaded some rounds for me but forget to check the powder weight. It was a little hot and cracked the bolt face. For fear of other damage we sent it in for inspection. They confirmed just the bolt face cracked but refused to repair it or replace the bolt. I also believe they refused to send it back, sold me a Model 78 in 243 for around $200 as I recall. I was so pissed! It is has been awhile ago so I do not remember the specifics but I do remember they would not return it. That 788 was a tack driver and the new rifle shot okay but never close to the 788.

Posts: 762 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
After all of that........

Did you ever get the bolt handle welded or not?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
Picked it up today
If nothing else falls apart I'll shoot it tomorrow
Thanks again for your help

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OP - Dead Eye,
It appears that someone was practicing on your equipment attempting to re-attach the bolt handle.

Unless the handle was modified,all you received was a re-attachment.

It's Physically & Mechanically impossible to TIME a Remington handle w/o modifying it.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 426 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dans40XC:
OP - Dead Eye,
It appears that someone was practicing on your equipment attempting to re-attach the bolt handle.

Unless the handle was modified,all you received was a re-attachment.

It's Physically & Mechanically impossible to TIME a Remington handle w/o modifying it.

You must be really good to be able to criticize the timing of this rifle without handling it.
Based on your previous posts I figured I'd get something like this out of you. As always, thanks for your input.