Find
Notify
Tools

Savage Factory original brake removal
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted
I had a customer bring me a Savage 116 300 win mag stainless that has a factory installed muzzle brake. It is a on/off style. It is not intergal. I tried a punch through the ports to get it loose but I put so much pressure on it, the punch was about at its braking point.

Anyone have experience removing these, I don't see any pins. Im wondering if they used a thread locker of some type.

I am going to replace it because it has a small crack starting at one of the ports.

I just didn't want to start going extreme if there was a trick.

Posts: 751 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i have no idea, but can you check if it's lefthanded thread?

is there threadlock on it?

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38470 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
I cannot tell if it is left or right threads. I can see the barrel crown but nothing else. The break is round with no way to get a wrench on it. I hope it is not pressed on, that would probably require a barrel swap.

Posts: 751 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Hold the brake in your barrel vise in wood blocks. Turn the action with your receiver wrench. Probably the brake will come off before the receiver does.
COA2: Put the barrel in your barrel vise. Use a pipe wrench on the brake. It will come off. Actually this is COA1.

Posts: 17114 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
Thanks dpcd, I considered that. I don't care if I ruin or damage the brake, it is already cracked. I will try that this evening.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're not worried about saving the brake, try heating it with a propane torch. Some of the high-temp thread lockers require a lot of heat to remove.

Posts: 475 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
Well my first attempt snapped a welding rod in half with a 14 inch pipe wrench. So I used a map torch on it and got it hot, wasn't quite glowing yet and finally got it off. That sucker was on there. But off now, thanks for the tips