Find
Notify
Tools

Loctite for action screws?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is this necessary or helpful?

Posts: 326 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the rifle is bedded properly (or even halfway decently), I don't see it being at all necessary. Now if the action screws start to loosen up after a shooting session or two I'd be looking for other problems.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A bit of nail polish does the trick. Just make sure the threads are clean and grease free.

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
can be, if used right .. LOL.. ask shootaway!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39696 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well...gotta say this...I wish loc-tite (for screws) were made illegal in the gun trade.

"If a drop is good, a cup full should be better" mentality exists.
Don't use loctite on the guard screws...completely unecessary. I do not use it on ring or base screws either.

I have NEVER had a ring or base come loose in about forty years of gunmaking.

The base screws are wound in TIGHT with a rather small handle on the driver...then I smack the driver, while in the slot with a hammer...you'll take about another 1/8-1/4 turn...now it's in for the duration and life of the fiream...It will never come loose and it will take a well fitting blade to break it loose with a good grip on the handle.

I've drilled out too many loc tited screws to have any patience with the indescriminate use of this product....OK...I've vented!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never used loctite on any rifle's guard screws until I shot the 458 lott and 458 win mag.I tightened the guard screws down with a torque wrench factory set at 65 lbs inch.After a couple of sessions at the range the screws would loosten,groups got large and POI would change alot.I then used blue loctite and that worked for a while but they still loostened and POI would change again.This caused confusion because I didn't expect the screws to loosten and I thought something else was wrong.It took me a while to discover the screws were loose again.I know use red loctite and I doubt that it will hold forever but it should hold for some time.I did a search on the net and found a video demonstrating the correct procedure to take apart and put back a Ruger rifle.I think the video was made by Ruger or another company.I was surprised when they suggested that the angled recoil screw,on the Ruger magnum,should be set at 95 lbs inch.A large torque wrench that took two hands to work,was used.I would go as far as saying that IMO,if you don't use at least red loctite on such dangerous game calibers,your looking for trouble.As for open sight screws,I've found that red loctite wasn't enough and I know use acraglass on the sight screw.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I have to agree is is not needed on screws properly fitted to the action and the action properly fitted to the stock. And if improperly fitted well that is not going to be fixed with loc tite.

That said I have used loc tite on base screw in the past but have not recently as I feel it doesn't help.

That said If you do choose to use loctite Only and I mean ONLY USE THE BLUE grade or PURPLE. this is the medium and low strength stuff. Red loctite is too strong and green is way over board.
Now that is just a generalization as there are about four grades each in each color with red having about six types.
Like I said if you choose to use it PURPLE is the one to use with blue being the next choice but really not needed especially with the technique the Duane mentioned.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in my old days, I did LocTite scope bases, but never action screws. Having learned a few things, I stopped using it about 30 years ago for scope bases as proper torque is THE answer, for all rifle screws.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
Back in my old days, I did LocTite scope bases, but never action screws. Having learned a few things, I stopped using it about 30 years ago for scope bases as proper torque is THE answer, for all rifle screws.

And proper fitting tools

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I wish I had a buck for every scope ring screw, base screw and action screw I've had to drill to remove over the years... oh wait, I did get a buck for everyone... Never mind. Big Grin

The only thing I use on base screws is a drop of oil, and a whack with the hammer to set it. If guards screws are coming loose, I would be inclined to look at the bedding and stock material to see if it was sturdy enough to support the action during recoil or to keep the material from collapsing under the torque of the screwdriver.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are different kinds of Loctite. Some are removable and some are permanent.

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 01 February 2010 04:57 Hide Post
Well...gotta say this...I wish loc-tite (for screws) were made illegal in the gun trade.

oh yeah thumb
and not only on guns

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote