THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping A Rifle Without Using A Dealer?
 Login/Join

posted
I'm selling a rifle on an auction site. I heard I don't have to use a dealer, on my end, to ship it. As long as I receive a copy of the buyers FFL and ship it to the address on his license, I can take the rifle to the local post office and ship it as I would ship anything. Is this true?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
with some eceptions, the receiver has to be an FFL, not the shipper

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38607 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cl5

What jeffeoso said. Safest way is registered, insured.

Let's hope you don't run into one of those incompetent Post Office workers (Prez Obama's words, not mine) who do not know the laws and will argue about shipping a gun.

As a last resort, if all else fails, you can use UPS or Fed Ex.

If the buyer is in the same State as you, simply get his ID (proof of age and residency) and send it directly.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our friends in Californika will give different adcvice..

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
you got a "threaded pipe and some wooden blocks" to ship?????.... no problem... just ship to an ffl... 1 that will receive from a non-ffl...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2833 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An individual can ship into California to an FFL holder without going through any extra hoops. The new rules only apply to FFL holders shipping to FFL holders in CA. Same as any other state as far as I know.

As for getting a copy of the receiving FFL's license, I was recently told by my ATF field agent that I should refrain from giving out copies of my FFL. All the shipper needs is the first three and last 5 numbers of the license so they can check it on the E-Z-Check site. They don't NEED a physical copy of the license. Don't be surprised if receiving FFLs are much less open to passing out copies of their license in the future.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Also, some receiving dealers will not accept a shipped rifle from an indivisual and require you go through an FFL on your end. No law that say's it has to be that way but the man with the license can make his own rules as long as he doesn't break any federal ones with his own.

I would make plans to go through one if I was selling on line. Little things like this can mess up a sell.

At the least state in your auction that you don't plan on using one.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CAS II:
An individual can ship into California to an FFL holder without going through any extra hoops. The new rules only apply to FFL holders shipping to FFL holders in CA. Same as any other state as far as I know.

Thanks CAS.

I'm trying to get that word out all the time.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12595 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And what if an FFL receiver doesn't like the gun adn wants to return it to the non-FFL shipper? once I receive it, in your books must be shipped to back another FFL.
that is why I rarely take a gun from a non-FFL seller.
Best,
Steve

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1794 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDH:
And what if an FFL receiver doesn't like the gun adn wants to return it to the non-FFL shipper? once I receive it, in your books must be shipped to back another FFL.
Best,
Steve

Not quite. I get guns in everyday from non FFL's and send them right back to the person who sent it. No difference.

The receiver must either be himself, an FFL, or preferably a Remington 700. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
SDH,

The reason I believe the gun must go to an FFL is becuase of a transfer. If you return the gun back to the person who shipped it to you. You are not transfering it.

CL5man,

You do not have to have a copy of the FFL and as CAS states many ATF agents advise FFL holders to not send copies of their licenses to non FFLs.

You do not have to check the ATF website. Now its a good idea to do so.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10095 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, So what your saying is if I send you something to be worked on, you finish it, you have to send it back to me through an FFL holder? I belive the law says that you can recive it,work on or inspect it and return it to the party that sent it to you. Someone let me know if I am wrong.
quote:
Best,
Steve

"There is a bloody brave little animal called the honey badger in Africa. It may be the meanest animal in the world. It kills for malice and for sport, and it does not go for the jugular-it goes straight for the groin. It has a hell of a lot in common with the modern American woman."
Robert Ruark-The Honey Badger
SGB7x57@Gmail.com
360-918-8283
NRA Life Member
SCI Life Member
WANT TO RETURN TO AFRICA CLUB Life Member

Posts: 187 | Location: Olympia, Wa | Registered: 31 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
There are also state laws to consider. Only 50 different ones.

Shipping within a state isn't covered by the commerce clause so this has different rules.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1849 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If a CA resident want to sell a firearm to a resident in another state does the transfer have to go through a CA FFL holder to transfer it out of state. I have searched CA's firearms laws and have yet to find an answer to this question.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Craigster,

The answer is no. Ship it the FFL yourself.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10095 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As for getting a copy of the receiving FFL's license, I was recently told by my ATF field agent that I should refrain from giving out copies of my FFL. All the shipper needs is the first three and last 5 numbers of the license so they can check it on the E-Z-Check site. They don't NEED a physical copy of the license. Don't be surprised if receiving FFLs are much less open to passing out copies of their license in the future.

While that is very true, I have NEVER had a seller take less than a copy of my receiving FFL for a purchase. They have just recently agreed to fax or email copies. I recently had UPS refuse to ship without one as well. His comment was, "I'm not shipping, you are, and I am not looking anything up when you can get a copy for me." Off to USPS I went, no hassel.

I think it will still be a matter of what the shipper wants for a while.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
My atf guys have both told me not to send my license to someone who isn't a ffl holder themselves.

UPS and USPS have no business asking you for one if you're not a licensee yourself. Doesn't mean they don't. You are however required to tell them you're shipping a firearm.

Congress has no business or Constitutional authority doing much of what they do. Doesn't stop THEM either.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1849 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry , I did not make myself clear I wasn't refering to repair I meant purchases.
If I buy from a non-FFL I cannot legally return the gun to a non-FFL if I don't like it. From what I understand once the package is opened the transfer is completed require subsiquent interstate shipment to an FFL.

I hate these FFL discussions because the laws are often ambiguous, almost never straightforward and subject to varying interpretations.

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1794 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry , I did not make myself clear I wasn't refering to repair I meant purchases.
If I buy from a non-FFL I cannot legally return the gun to a non-FFL if I don't like it. From what I understand once the package is opened the transfer is completed require subsiquent interstate shipment to an FFL.

I hate these FFL discussions because the laws are often ambiguous, almost never straightforward and subject to varying interpretations.

My understanding of the law is exactly the same as yours.

One CAN ship to a gunsmith or manufactuerer for repair or modification, and have the gun sent back to him without an FFL. THAT is what the law says.

BUT, as I read the law, one is NOT allowed to ship to a buyer and then have the gun sent back to the seller without an FFL if the "buyer" decides he doesn't want the gun.

Have been through this before, both with a seller in Minneapolis, Minn. who shipped me a gun, and with the BATF.

In this instance, the gun was received as a part of a trade. When I went to send the other fellow the gun I was trading to him, he refused to provide an FFL. So, of course I wouldn't send him the rifle which was the part of the trade I was to send him originally. I explained to him the gun was packaged, ready for shipment, but that it had to go to and through an FFL holder on his end.

Then he demanded HIS gun back. I checked with BATF, then told him what they told me..."He must provide an FFL to get EITHER GUN shipped to him".

He threatened me with all kinds of legal action. So, I invited him to report me to BATF. Apparently he tried, but in short order afterwards, I got an FFL from him...no note, nothing else, just the FFL. I sent him his rifle and thankfully have never heard from him again since.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Being an FFL it doesn't matter why the gun was sent to you. It only matters what you do with it. If you dispose of the weapon to a different party than the one who sent it, then you either do a 4473 or you get a copy of their FFL. If you decide for some reason to return the gun to the original sender, for whatever the reason, then all you do is log it back out to them. If however, you dispose of the gun to a third party, and something is wrong and you wish to cancel the transaction and return it to the original sender, then you will need to send it to an FFL and let him dispose of it. It's a simple acquisition and disposition. Nothing more. Provided the firearm hasn't changed hands.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That may well be, Westpac, but it is NOT what BATF told me.

And believe me, I am not going to pay the legal fees to test my opinion against theirs.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Here's a twist.

What if you(ffl holder) receive a firearm from a customer and in the process of working on it gets shipped to other ffl holders for additional work to be done and no transfer of ownership takes place. The customer has owned the gun the whole time. Can you send it back directly to the customer? IMHO the firearm was never intended to be sold and transfer of ownership never happened. Isn't the reason for the firearm to go through the 4473 form is only to transfer ownership?

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
Here's a twist.

What if you(ffl holder) receive a firearm from a customer and in the process of working on it gets shipped to other ffl holders for additional work to be done and no transfer of ownership takes place. The customer has owned the gun the whole time. Can you send it back directly to the customer? IMHO the firearm was never intended to be sold and transfer of ownership never happened. Isn't the reason for the firearm to go through the 4473 form is only to transfer ownership?

My guess is that what you suggest would be completely legal. There was only repair/modification involved, no intended or actual transfer of ownership. That sort of thing happens all the time and is documented in FFL firearms registers all the time....so, if it was illegal, I think we'd have heard about it by now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Back to the original question, many (make that most; on second thought make that nearly all) postal personnel do not know the USPS regulations on shipping firearms. Those regulations allow an individual to ship a long gun to an FFL holder, or to another individual within his or her state of residence.

It took me about a half an hour and five successively higher levels of supervisors at the central Austin, Texas post office last week to finally find a person clever enough to look up the regulations and admit that I was correct that I could ship a rifle. I simply stood there firmly, with as pleasant a smile as I could muster, and said, to four successive postal employees, "I'm quite certain that I am correct on this, could you check with your supervisor?" Eventually, a man toting a manual emerged from the bowels of the inner offices to tell me that I could ship the gun, but it must first be unpacked to inspect to see if it was loaded. "That will be fine. I suggest that you (1) allow me to do the unpacking since I know how it is situated within the box, (2) do this in a non-public place so that none of us are accused of illegally "displaying" a firearm in a federal building, and (3) you provide repacking materials and approve of the repackaging since this is a valuable and fragile piece of insured merchandise." They agreed to all of that.

Moral of story: If you have enough time and patience, you may ultimately be able to ship, as an individual, via USPS.

Fedex and UPS are little better, depending on the luck of the draw in the clerk you get. UPS will NOT accept firearms at a branch offices(UPS Stores), only at a main facility.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't understand why the BATF, at least in some cases, and FFL holders are becoming reluctant to send their FFL to people who want to sell or send them guns for transfer. What nefarious activities do they expect them to do with it, and, if they did anything with it, such as the obvious of altering the address (which would subject them to almost immediate arrest when anyone checked the FFL holder site), wouldn't it be their problem, not the FFL holders. The FFL holder did nothing wrong. Finally, someone please point out where the BATF says not to send an individual a copy of your FFL?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may not understand it, but that is exactly what I was told by my Agent. No offense, but I trust her advice more than yours, especially since it appears others in different parts of the country have received the same guidance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, then why don't you politely ask her where that regulation is located?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no desire to. If it bothers you so much, please explain to me why you NEED a physical copy of my license.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It doesn't bother me, I just like to know why supposedly thinking people will go along with anything some junior agent tells them when it's been done the other way for at least 30 years and there has been NO notice that I am aware of of any change in that procedure.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So we agree that you have no good reason to NEED a physical copy of the license? Perfect, I am glad we agree.

As for a good reason not the give out copies, I have a perfect example. Last year I had a customer want to send me a rifle for refinishing and insisted that he get a copy of my license before he shipped. Stupidly, I agreed and sent it to him.

The job went fine, and I did not hear from him again for quite some time.

Earlier this year I get a call from a Police Detective in Illinois inquiring about a missing shotgun that had been sent to me from an FFL dealer in that state. I had NEVER received any such shotgun form that dealer, nor had I EVER received that type of shotgun from anyone.

I then received a call for an AFT agent about the same thing.

After several hours on the phone with investigators it was discovered that this f-ing retard customer had taken the copy of my license to another FFL in his state and wanted a shotgun shipped to me to transfer to his brother. Of course the customer didn't check with me ahead of time.

Turns out that the other FFL called while I was on vacation and decided to send it to another FFL instead. Of course this dumbass kept a copy of my FFL.

Several weeks go by and the shotgun never shows up at the other FFL in my state. The customer walks into the Ill FFL's shop inquiring about it, and the Ill FFL tells him that he shipped it to me. The pissed customer then reports the rifle stolen, thus I get wrapped up in the mess.

After a long conversation with the sending FFL, it is determined that he did not in fact ever ship the shotgun to me, but of course that does not stop ATF and the local police form calling me constantly over the next 7 months.

Bottom line, I won't ever give a copy of my license to any non-FFL holder ever again.

As for the ATF's advisory, my field agent told me that the licenses were easy to forge, and many dealers employees don't know much about what the license means, and there have been cases of people flashing a copy of an FFL and walking out of a store with a firearm.

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Gatogordo
Can I borrow your social security card, date of birth and mother's maiden name?

I don't think you would send them to me.

You shouldn't because I have no business with them.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From the State of confusion and communism ( Dummycratically controlled ) Kommyfornia !.

Selling a firearm from Said state ( MUST transfer through an FFL ) Receiving a Firearm MUST BE THROUGH AN FFL !.

Now the Exception ; An individual may ship a Rifle ( NOT A HANDGUN ) too anyone in another

state for repairs and said Rifle may be shipped back too ONLY the person who sent it !.

Purchasing a firearm is entirely different , I can go too another State Purchase said firearm

providing it's " LEGAL " to own in my state of residence . I must still submit to DOJ paper work

and appropriate waiting periods ( Required by my State of residence ) .

I buy a firearm from say Texas or nearly any other states dealer via auction or internet sales

site That firearm MUST be transferred too ME ! NO ONE ELSE via FFL dealer or FLL Transfer

dealer ( An FFL holder who does not " Sell firearms " merely transfers them LEGALLY !.

Now upon receiving that firearm and Signing for it .I may sell that firearm too another

individual THAT VERY DAY providing it's done via an FFL ownership transfer !. That person will be required to fill out all necessary paper work and wait the proper time before taking

possession of said firearm
All of the Above is true an factual been there done that !.

MANY times over and believe me if it weren't legal some of us would now reside in sing sing

BAFTE would just love to see me go far Away , I however will not allow them this satisfaction !.

Two questions I do have ;HOW does the BAFE know if the person receiving the firearm for

repair is doing just that repairing it ?. What if the person isn't an FFL holder and I NEVER

CHECKED prior to sending my firearm ?.
I can't legally receive anybody's firearm any

longer for stock work , unless it's ONLY the stock !. No business frontage NO FFL in KOMMYFORNIA !!!!!!!.

archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc224/375:

longer for stock work , unless it's ONLY the stock !. No business frontage NO FFL in KOMMYFORNIA !!!!!!!.[/b]
archer archer archer

Not true at all. I work out of my home and had no problem at all getting an FFL and CA#.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc224/375:
From the State of confusion and communism ( Dummycratically controlled ) Kommyfornia !.

Selling a firearm from Said state ( MUST transfer through an FFL ) Receiving a Firearm MUST BE THROUGH AN FFL !.

Now the Exception ; An individual may ship a Rifle ( NOT A HANDGUN ) too anyone in another

state for repairs and said Rifle may be shipped back too ONLY the person who sent it !.

Purchasing a firearm is entirely different , I can go too another State Purchase said firearm

providing it's " LEGAL " to own in my state of residence . I must still submit to DOJ paper work

and appropriate waiting periods ( Required by my State of residence ) .

I buy a firearm from say Texas or nearly any other states dealer via auction or internet sales

site That firearm MUST be transferred too ME ! NO ONE ELSE via FFL dealer or FLL Transfer

dealer ( An FFL holder who does not " Sell firearms " merely transfers them LEGALLY !.

Now upon receiving that firearm and Signing for it .I may sell that firearm too another

individual THAT VERY DAY providing it's done via an FFL ownership transfer !. That person will be required to fill out all necessary paper work and wait the proper time before taking

possession of said firearm
All of the Above is true an factual been there done that !.

MANY times over and believe me if it weren't legal some of us would now reside in sing sing

BAFTE would just love to see me go far Away , I however will not allow them this satisfaction !.

Two questions I do have ;HOW does the BAFE know if the person receiving the firearm for

repair is doing just that repairing it ?. What if the person isn't an FFL holder and I NEVER

CHECKED prior to sending my firearm ?.
I can't legally receive anybody's firearm any

longer for stock work , unless it's ONLY the stock !. No business frontage NO FFL in KOMMYFORNIA !!!!!!!.

archer archer archer

Please link to the statute requiring a CA sale to an out of state buyer having to go thru an FFL on the CA end. Thanks.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cas II your in Yolo County , MANY KOMMYFORNIA COUNTY'S ordinances prohibit FFL holders working from Residential addresses .

Don't I read in "Cheaper than Dirt" and other rags, that shipping AMMO is Prohibited into Yolo County ?.

Cragster ; Did you read this wrong ? I'm unsure of what your asking me ?.

I thought I was clear on that; Selling a firearm if you are a resident of CA. Firearm must Go through

an FFL holder , I didn't say FFL holder must be a CA FFL holder !. Private Sale transfers of Firearms is

PROHIBITED WITH IN THE STATE OF KOMMYFORNIA !.

See our state laws conflict with Local ,County laws as they conflict with Federal Laws .

Which is one of the main reasons Kommyfornia is F CKED UP , thanks in great part too the Dummycrats who have

run it into the ground since 1974 !!!!!!!!. Where are our illustrious numb nutted Senators from ?, you know

the ones without a pair !. Yea from choke and gag County ,home of the Fairy prince who will run for

Governor next election . I have but ONE THING to say about that , YOU THOUGHT OBUMA WAS BAD , THINK

AGAIN !!!!.
Some one " PLEASE SHOW ME " where in the BAFE FFL regulations ,I can obtain an FFL in CA

with a residential address with in my county and I'll initiate a LAW SUIT FASTER THAN YOU CAN RELOAD THAT

REVOLVER !!!!!!!. That's a FACT !.

archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Not everybody has been "sending" a copy of their FFL to non FFls for 30 years.

I have talked with ATF agents in CA in the 1980s and they advised the same thing. FFL holders should not send copies of thier FFLs to non FFLs.

I always laugh at this issue because supposedly thinking people who generally oppose more regulation have created their own regulation where none ever existed and now when someone says "hey, that regulation doesn't exist" these same people are saying but we have always done it that way so lets keep doing it.

Now we have a gov't agent saying don't do it it's not required and people are still arguing to do it.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no such ordinance prohibiting shipping ammo into Yolo County.

You stated before that:

"No business frontage NO FFL in KOMMYFORNIA !!!!!!!"

That statement is categorically false, and unsupported by any rule, law, or regulation by the State of California. Now if there are some localities that have special local requirements regarding licensees, then that is something you will have to take up with them.

Just one of the MANY false statements in your ill informed post, just for conversation......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just for conversation, from the CA DOJ website:

# What are California's licensing requirements for firearms dealers?

California firearms dealers must obtain and maintain the following:

1. A valid FFL,
2. A valid Seller's Permit issued by the State Board of Equalization,
3. A valid COE issued by the DOJ,
4. Any regulatory business license, or licenses, required by local government,
5. A local license granted by the duly constituted licensing authority, valid for one year from the date of issuance, and in one of the following forms:
1. In the form prescribed by the Attorney General;
2. A regulatory or business license that states on its face, "Valid for Retail Sales of Firearms" and endorsed by the signature of the issuing authority; or
3. A letter from the licensing authority stating that the jurisdiction does not require any form of regulatory or business license or does not otherwise restrict or regulate the sale of firearms. After obtaining the above licenses, an Application for Centralized List and appropriate fees are submitted to the DOJ. Upon approval of the application, the dealer will be given a CFD number and placed on the Centralized List of firearms dealers.
6. A listing on the DOJ Centralized List of Firearms Dealers.

For more information on dealer licensing or to obtain an Application for Centralized List of Firearms Dealers, contact the Firearms Licensing and Permits Unit at (916) 227-3694.

(PC section 12071(a))

Clearly, there is no "storefront" required by the State of California.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any regulatory business license, or licenses, required by local government,

5. A local license granted by the duly constituted licensing authority, valid for one year from the date of issuance, and in one of the following forms:

You answered your own question !. Prohibited in My County with out a commercial frontage !.

Ok Why does Cheaper than Dirt & Sportsmans whatever ,say on certain items Shipping prohibited too Illinois Hawaii Yolo & Marin County's among other places ??.

I'll save it next time I get one and Post it for you to read , as I don't live in your county can't

speak for what is or isn't . I simply know the regulations pertaining too my county .

BAFTE wasn't the reason I couldn't keep an FFL , it was KOMMYFRONIA LOCAL license and permits were

denied .

They wanted " EVERY FFL DEALER " in a COMMERCIAL STORE FRONT , NO EXCEPTIONS that I'm aware of .

I was never a dealer, made no difference NO FFL !. Yes you are correct categorically speaking .

I stand corrected as it's up to local ordinances pertaining too licenses and permits !.

archer archer archer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you should be pissed at the Feds too, as it sure seems that CA's requirements are pretty similar to the Feds with respect to a requirement to comply with local laws and zoning ordinances.

So which is it, is CA trying to keep you from getting an FFL, or are the Feds trying to keep you from getting an FFL?

Perhaps you should actually read about the subject and become informed before you go spouting off on a subject you are clueless about.

Why don't you direct your anger where it really belongs and take it up with your city council? Aren't they really the ones who you have the beef with?

quote:
Who can get a license? [Top]

ATF will approve the application if the applicant:

* Is 21 years or more of age;
* Is not prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving or possessing firearms or ammunition;
* Has not willfully violated the GCA or its regulations;
* Has not willfully failed to disclose material information or willfully made false statements concerning material facts in connection with his application;
* Has premises for conducting business or collecting; and,

The applicant certifies that--

(1) the business to be conducted under the license is not prohibited by State or local law at the place where the licensed premise is located to include compliance with zoning ordinances;

(2) within 30 days after the application is approved the business will comply with the requirements of State and local law applicable to the conduct of the business;

(3) business will not be conducted under the license until the requirements of State and local law applicable to the business have been met;

(4) a completed copy of the application has been has been sent or delivered to the chief law enforcement officer of the locality in which the premises is located; and,.

(5) secure gun storage or safety devices will be available at any place in which firearms are sold under the license to persons who are not licensees ("secure gun storage or safety defined in 18 U.S.C. 921 (a) (34) ) .