New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crossbolt alternatives and function
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have any tips or tricks on cross bolts? Talley seems like the obvious option, but I’m guessing they could rust inside the stock.

Anyone ever use something like these stainless sleeve bolts with an ebony plug on top:

https://www.mcmaster.com/stain...-steel-sleeve-bolts/

one of us
posted Hide Post
Talleys are good. Those other options look too much like hardware stuff to me. Traditionally crossbolts have been square or rectangular. In times past they were inletted behind the recoil lug and the ends hidden behind ebony inlays. Another option might be to machine a square mortise on the underside of the barrel and add a 2nd recoil shoulder with steel square stock inletted into the stock. Completely hidden and quite effective.

Posts: 3676 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bolts Bobster mentions are available from Recknagel. They have robust nuts on each end to mitigate possible splitting tendency

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Don't worry about rust; the rest of your rifle is not stainless I presume.

Posts: 17111 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can someone explain what the cross bolts actually do. Do they hold the stock together and keep it from splitting down the middle? Or are they there to provide a solid steel area behind the recoil lug?

Almost seems like epoxy and a wood dowel would function as well if you are putting a ebony plug on top.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
has 2 main functions, outside of looks
1: keeps the rifle from folding OPEN (like an accordian) to keep from splitting
2: provides repeatable stable mounting of the action to stock

not all xbolts do both

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38464 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i realized i missed a question.
alternatives?

i like stainless or brass allthread or cut off bolts, with ebony caps .. but that's just me

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
D’Arcy Echols fitted threaded rod in the synthetic stock I bought off him for my Mod 70 375 H&H.

I have seen beautifully inletted London made magazine rifles split from being too beautifully inletted!

The late Jack Lott had some photos and description of hidden cross bolts in the Big Bores magazines, two of IIRC, back in the ‘80’s.

DRSS

Posts: 1906 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's an article by Lott in an old Gun Digest regarding hidden bolts. I've used the method and it works.

More here:

http://huntingetc.blogspot.com...re-rifles-stock.html

Posts: 77 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 08 September 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you simply drill a hole and epoxy some steel all thread rod in each location? And then cover with wood caps?

Or is it critical that the bolts hold the stock together with some tension, like the Talley bolts would appear to provide?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tex84:
Can you simply drill a hole and epoxy some steel all thread rod in each location? And then cover with wood caps?

Or is it critical that the bolts hold the stock together with some tension, like the Talley bolts would appear to provide?

This works fine on my 500 Jeff - wow, that's an old pic from a terrible camera

i use a 3/8 router bit to make the counter sink holes (in a mill) then use a 3/8 plug cutter in a 1/4" piece of ebony ..

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cross bolts are function and decorative. If one prefers, they can be functional but not decorative. The crossbolt keeps the stock from spreading and splitting from recoil forces. One can inlet a piece of threaded rod or even a wood dowel behind the recoil lug mortise and, even more important, behind the magazine well and ahead of the trigger group. I have inletted a piece of 1/8x1/2 flat bar, with the guard screw passing through it, into a model 70 stock. I sink it 3/8 " deep and cover it with Acraglas. On a Mauser, I prefer to use a 3/8" square piece of walnut with the grain at right angle to the grain of the stock. I kind of prefer to use wood just because wood goes with wood! I won't build a stock without using some method to try and prevent splitting like this. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3525 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like talleys, they are made right and they work.
I have no use for hidden cross bolts as they have been know to allow a split..I don't care for wood plugs because the bolt head itself is an assist to strength of the cross bolt..I can only base this on my use of cross bolts over the years on every big bore Ive owned, and I like to glass the metal cross bolt into the wood, allowing the cross bolt to be greased is Ok I suppose, I don't and I believe the glass makes such a tight fit that rust isn't a problem....Others may have a different approach..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41834 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree with Mr. Atkinson 100%: Another effective way to prevent a split is to make sure the reoil tug is NOT tightly fitted all the way across.

Just a scape in the center will transfer recoil forces to the edges of the lug recess where,,,if you observe...all the way back past the magazine well that recess has support from all that wood behind it.

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
At what calibre level do crossbolts become advisable?

My s/h Zastava 9.3x62 does not have one but had been glass bedded and has given no trouble so far.

The wood is reasonably good in this rifle, but I split the cheesy stock on a 300 Win mag Zastava by firing it in a home-made lead sled.

Posts: 4961 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I forgot to mention that all rods, dowels, bars or blocks are glassed into the stock. By the way, I think laminated stocks are more often in need of this than good walnut is; they have a real tendency to split. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3525 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep...those lead sleds really give the stock it's ultimate test.

I cringe when a client tells me he used one sighting in his 500 Jeff!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a 1/4'bolt with the head and non-threaded part cut off, and glue it in with epoxy putty. I first drill thru with a 3/16 bit, then mount a Fuller C-6 counterbore on the bit to make a recess for the plugs. The counterbore makes a clean 3/8 hole. I then drill thru with a 17/64 or so bit, to make some clearance, and butter the hole and the threaded rod up with epoxy putty, slide it in and clean up the mess, and tap in the plugs. The strength is increased considerably if you "prime" the inside of the hole with unthickened epoxy, using a Q-tip or a pipe cleaner.

The hardest-kicking rifle I own is only a 338, but it's been to Africa, Siberia, Alaska and has many rounds shot thru it w/o a problem.

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 274 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do it the same as this but instead of drilling a clearance hole for the threaded rod I drill and tap the hole. Then screw the rod in with epoxy.

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote