Find
Notify
Tools

Stock blank auction?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
OK my mind is going. killpcI can't find the website that has numerous Stock planks listed for auction. Where you can bid or pay a "buy now" price.

No it isn't ebay

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
http://www.hunterbid.com/

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
That's it.

Thanks

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ANybody ever bought anything from them?

I have looked a time or two just not sure if they are a straight deal or not.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mucho Denero!

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My friend from Turkey, that sells Turkish walnut was looking at theTurkish walnut on the hunterbid site and he felt that most the wood was way over priced for what you were getting.

Posts: 369 | Location: lee' summit missouri | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Rodger Wright,

Who is your friend from Turkey who things Hunterbid prices are high? I like to know.
I was in Germany Trade show, all the prices I saw from the Turks were higher than hunterbid and the wood was at least 3 to 4 years younger and green. I bought from chiron guys many blanks and I am very happy what they offer.
I think you are not a buyer but an other seller.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
chiron

Am I wrong or is Denli prices better than HunterBid?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I've bought through themm..

denali's prices may be better on the HIGH end stuff, but I don'thtink chrion/hunter bid can be beat on the 500 and down stuff

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38579 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 333_OKH:
quote:
chiron

Most of the time.

Terry

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
denali's prices may be better on the HIGH end stuff, but I don'thtink chrion/hunter bid can be beat on the 500 and down stuff

Like this?

Please educate me on a this. I know that it is all regia species, but what regions denote Circassian vs Turkish?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am no wood expert and the only information I have is based on what others have said. When doing an AR search, I ran into a similar discussion..

If I remember correctly, Circassian is the name for a certain Mountain range (Russia/Turkey, not sure where but that part of the world) where high grade Walnut came from...

Some have said that Circassian Walnut is long gone, having been harvested many years ago but the Circassian Walnut name is still widely used today...not sure if that is an accurate "description" today.

If you do an AR search and look elsewhere, you can find more info...

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I think Alf has stated that true Circassian is extinct, harvested long ago. Nowadays I think some folks interchange Circassian for Turkish, which borders near the Circassian Mountains and has similar characteristics.

What is for certain is one can get a soft, crappy Juglans regia blank just as surely as one can get a hard, dense, tight-pored piece of Claro, American black or Bastogne.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I was just wondering since it is being used by HunterBid. They use both terms and I assume that means it is coming from different locations. I imagine a few still exist out there right?

Hey that picture I posted of the blank looks pretty nice to me, what do you all think?

Here is an odd one listed as "utility grade wood" due to light color, but having "very strong fiddle-back and color contrast."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My friends name is Ibrahim Yurttas, He deals is Turkish walnut, we were looking at the Turkish walnut on hunterbid, and he said the quality that was being offered was much lower than it should be for the amount that was being ask..........

Posts: 369 | Location: lee' summit missouri | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In reply to WNUT, I am not a seller, I have purchased several pieces from Yurttas, as well has Fred Weing, Donny Gremes, Galazan, and several high shops.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
333OKH, I like the blank you posted higher up. I bought a super blank from Chiron several years ago, Roger Biesen is profiling it for me now. Jeffeosso and I bought some "utility" Turkish from them for about $75 per blank, is very dense and hard, has nice straight grain with light contrasting stripes.

But like I said above, not all Turkish walnut is automatically great gunstock wood. I owned some early ZKK Brnos stocked in soft Turkish, looked more like pine or beechwood.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Roger Biesen

I tried to e-mail, fax and call then and never made contact with anyone. WHats the secret?

The utility blank I showed is cheap, but I do not know about density. It looks like the stock on my 1896 Swedish Mauser which has finally been chemically determined to be walnut. It is very hard wood.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Roger Biesen
2039 West Sinto Ave.
Spokane, WA 99201
509-328-6818 (late afternoons, PST)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
quote:
quote:
chiron

Most of the time.

Terry

I think chiron prices are much better. When you buy from denli, you have to pay shipping from turkey. chiron prices above 600 includes shipping and if you purchase at flash buy, it is free shipping also.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Not a bad blanks for under $400. Wouldn't you say???

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
A bit high on the price. More like a $300 blank. JMPO

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Dammit I am cheap! That is the type of wood I like. A lot of the higher price blanks look gauwdy to me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Circassian walnut is Juglans regia that is just grown in another area. In this case it is the Circacus Mountains that border Turkey and Russia. The wood can not be extinct because it is not a different species or even a subspecies. There is still some wood in that area but it is often claimed by the countries and the trees are auctioned off, at least according to a local wood suppler. He lives nearby and specializes in old vintage shotguns and travels to Turkey to buy wood each year. He said that the wood and the whole operation in the woods is guarded by men with rifles to stop theives and they do not shoot to warn.

Here is the link to his wood. It is two piece blanks for shotguns.

I have no doubt though that there are a lot more blanks labelled as Circassian than are ever cut in that area and some may not even have grown in Turkey or Russia.

As far as those blanks, I am not impressed with anything about them. The lower grain flow is not bad on the second, bad on the first, but I do not like the looks of either.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Chic, that is some beautiful wood. Decent prices too. To bad it's all 2pc.

Terry

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:

333, that's just bad. Ruger wouldn't even use that sofa

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
TC1--

It is a very odd little blank. I wondered if that was what the blank that made my 1896 Swede looked like? The poor thing is going for $130

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rodger wright:
My friends name is Ibrahim Yurttas, He deals is Turkish walnut, we were looking at the Turkish walnut on hunterbid, and he said the quality that was being offered was much lower than it should be for the amount that was being ask..........

I met your friend Yurttash and my friends bought wood from him before. I saw him in IWA Germany, and his prices were anywhere between EU 800 - EU 1200 . His EU800 blanks were same grade blanks I buy in the States for $500 to $600 from hunterbid or Denli. Also sometimes he fills the blanks if there are defects and try to hide them, in my book it is not a good business.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some encyclopedia definitions:

Circassia

(srksh´) (KEY) , historic region, encompassing roughly the area between the Black Sea, the Kuban River, and the Caucasus, now largely the Krasnodar Territory of SE European Russia. The Circassians are a Muslim people, whose Russian name is Cherkess and whose native name is Adygey. They are now officially classified as three peoples: the Kabarda, in the Kabardino-Balkar Republic; the Circassians or Cherkess, in the Karachay-Cherkess Republic; and the Adygey, in the Adygey Republic. The term Circassian has sometimes been incorrectly applied to all the mountain peoples of the N Caucasus. Known in antiquity, they inhabited the western side of the Caucasus and the Crimea and were known to the Greeks as the Zyukhoy. They were Christianized in the 6th cent. A.D. but adopted Islam in the 17th cent. after coming under the rule of the Ottoman Empire. In 1829 the Ottoman Turks were forced to cede Circassia to Russia. At this time the Circassians occupied almost the entire area between the main Caucasian range, the Kuban River, and the Black Sea. In the many Russo-Turkish wars in the first half of the 19th cent., the Circassians bitterly fought the Russians. After the Russian conquest of the area, about 400,000 Circassians migrated to Turkey (1861–64). Circassian women were reputed to be great beauties, and many were sold into slavery in Turkey. There are today large Circassian groups in Turkey, Syria, and Jordan

Caucasus

The Caucasus or Caucasia is a region in Eurasia bordered on the south by Anatolia (Turkey) and Iran in Asia, on the west by the Black Sea, on the east by the Caspian Sea, and on the north by the European portion of Russia. Caucasia includes the Caucasus Mountains and surrounding lowlands.

The Caucasus Mountains are commonly reckoned as a dividing line between Asia and Europe, and territories in Caucasia are variably considered to be in one or both continents; for example, the Persian name for the region (harking of Asiatic links) is Qafqâz. The northern portion of the Caucasus is known as the Ciscaucasus and the southern portion as the Transcaucasus. The highest peak in the Caucasus is Mount Elbrus (5,642 m) which, in the western Ciscaucasus in Russia, is generally considered the highest point in Europe.

The Caucasus is one of the most linguistically and culturally diverse regions on Earth. The nation-states that comprise the Caucasus today are northeastern Turkey, the post-Soviet states: Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, as well various parts of Russia. The Russian divisions include Krasnodar Krai, Stavropol Krai, and the autonomous republics of Adygea, Kalmykia, Karachay-Cherkessia, Kabardino-Balkaria, North Ossetia, Ingushetia, Chechnya, and Dagestan. Three territories in the region claim independence but are not generally acknowledged as nation-states by the international community: Abkhazia, Nagorno-Karabakh and South Ossetia.

The Biblical Mount Ararat where Noah's Ark is said to have landed is regarded as the landmark of the ancient Armenian realm. The peak of Ararat is seasonally capped with snow. In Greek mythology, the Caucasus or Kaukasos was one of the pillars supporting the world. Prometheus was chained there by Zeus. The Roman poet Ovid placed Caucasus in Scythia and depicted it as a cold and stony mountain which was the abode of personified hunger.

Note, there are no Circassian Mountains, the range is the Caucasus. Circassian walnut is simply Juglans Regia from Circassia, before WWII it was supposed to be the best you could get. Also called French and Italian walnut, some of it came from about anywhere in Europe and if it was a handsome piece the gunmaker told the client it was Circassian. In the last twenty years the industry has been calling the stuff "English" walnut, although the connection with England is obscure.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello all,
I have not posted here on AR but one other time. I have heard plenty about this great site. In addition, i have been selling a great deal of wood to members on this site.

Stumbled accross this thread, so here is my 2 cents...
I am part of a company named Luxus Walnut. Like you all, me and my partners are gun guys first and foremost. We love custom guns and fine wood and that is what got us involved in this little business. We thought we knew a lot about gunstocks before...we have learned a great many things. If you want to know my opinions based on what we have found, i will be more than happy to offer it...just ask.
We have a massive inventory of wood from Turkey and eastern Europe and some other locations as well. Honestly, we have the largest inventory I know of. We DO NOT buy from anyone else, we are our own providers. Because of this we can offer you the best prices. And besides, we are like i said, just like you all. We are constantly building custom rifles and dreaming of the next hunt...

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A link to your website would be nice.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
...I forgot, what i was going to mention.

There are, as you might imagine and some have stated, trees that come from regions all over. The wood quality can differ from one side of the mountain to the other. If and when you find "punky" and softer Juglans Regia it is almost always due to the fact that it has had an easy life, the tree that is.
Just because it is Juglans Regia does not grant it the greatest properties available for gunstocks. However, with the correct growing conditions it will in fact be the wood to beat for gunstock making. That s why it has been the prefered wood by the best stock makers for hundreds of years.

I will close with this...Since we have been in this business i have handled thousands of blanks from regions all over the globe, what impesses me now is wood quality. This i can feel with my eyes closed.
Figure is second to me.
I have seen the greatest quality wood with less than ideal grainflow used on the biggest calibers and do so with no complaints and never developing any problems after hundreds and even thousands of rounds through the gun(s).

By the way, we do not force dry our wood, no steaming or boiling or any other heard of practice. They are air dried only.

Thanks,

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glen71,
I did not want people to think i am slipping into this thread trying to sell our product.
I only wanted to offer my 2 cents if anyone was interested.

However, since you have asked,

www.luxuswalnut.com

Thanks again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have recently bought about 20 blanks from Adam and each was of exellent quality. When you call him to explain your needs he does all he can to steer you to the best blanks for your needs and projects. Luxus is a great company to deal with.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AFreeman:
Glen71,
I did not want people to think i am slipping into this thread trying to sell our product.
I only wanted to offer my 2 cents if anyone was interested.

Good answer. Smiler

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've bought a few blanks from Luxus myself and have gone through LB404's also, they have ranged from really good to exceptional. Do checkout the Luxus website before you buy from anywhere else, it changes a lot so on any given day you might find just what your looking for, if not check back later.
I'm not in any way connected to them but really like some of the wood I've gotten from them and I've also enjoyed the heck out of BS'ing about wood with Adam. The last time we talked so long his cell battery ran out. Givem a look.....................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lb404, djpaintles,
Thanks for the kind comments. Thats what we are here for. We have a great deal of fun with this business and meet some great people, like being in hunting camp everyday (almost)......battery is charged.

Glen71,
Thanks, just being straight about it though.

I love a good gunstock and/or blank, and talking about them is almost as fun as turning one for a stock.
Truth is the wood is what got me into wanting to have custom guns built in the first place.

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
AFreeman, may I suggest a extensive gallery of blanks for sale, the more pics the better. That is in part what attracted me to Dressels. I think it'd really be a benefit for you and we consumers.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
remember to add for denali...

90 for shipping
45 for a wire xfer

i've dealt with marat, at chiron... in fact, the 550 express (after a fashion, thanks forrest), the 470 ar, 458ar (work in progress) and 416 AR are all done on his wood... and Mike D's 376, as well... so, i've used a couple of his blanks.

I find his pricing to be fair... and his blanks to be, well, HUGE... 2.45 was the smallest area of one stock I did. Tend to run closer to 2.65-2.85... which means a huge amount of chips, actually.

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38579 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dempsey:
AFreeman, may I suggest a extensive gallery of blanks for sale, the more pics the better. That is in part what attracted my to Dressels. I think it really be a benefit for you and we consumers.

I'd add a request for full-length square-on photos. The angled shots showing half a blank drive me crazy.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote