Find
Notify
Tools

TRACTORS?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
"If it has wheels . . . "

Having owned a Harley Hawg, ATV, 4WD Dodge Ram Quad Cab, I like a tractor.

It's a John Deere 4100, nothing huge but not a "riding lawnmower." Mid Chassis PTO, Hydrostatic, 20 HP diesel.

I have a 410 loader, 48" rotary mower ("Brush Hog"), 52" tiller, 10 cu. ft. trailer, Bear Cat chipper/shredder, ballast box . . .

And I just bought a 48" width Pallet Fork Attachment, 42" forks. I have no idea the capacity for this. I just know it lifts more than my tractor can. Mostly I got it for moving brush piles, small logs, limbs, palletized stock/equipment, tools.

Heavy duty "fence" behind the forks allows running up on a load/pile and pushing, or tilting back and lifting to move.

It's nice to be able to get under a load of limbs and push them where I need to push them.

Mowing or working can be more fun than ATV, or the Harley!

This and a new Stihl 361 saw w/ 25" bar. Wooooo Hoooooooo!

dancing

Posts: 1005 | Location: A Little Bit Left of Karl Marx | Registered: 16 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny you mention this. I sold my HAWG this past spring to buy a JD 3520 with 72" mid-mount mower and self-leveling front end loader. Though I missed my HAWG a time or two, I love my tractor & I can honestly say it was a great move.

Not sure what your lift capacity is with the 4100, but if you push it, make sure you have some ballast on the rear end. A great site for tractors is machine underground...not that there is anything wrong with talking tractors here Smiler.

Too much is just right!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I have a ballest box -- full of gravel.

Sold the Hawg: I'd look in the mirrors and there'd be $100 bills blowing out my butt . . .

shocker

Posts: 1005 | Location: A Little Bit Left of Karl Marx | Registered: 16 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tractors are OK, but I've come to rely on my CAT powered 105 HP, turbo diesel Posi-Track with 4400# forks. Quick-tach 6-way dozer blade, backhoe, 8000# electric winch, and of course the dirt bucket which has a removable grapple for clamping onto things like trees and pipes.

That's a 102" wide, 45' flatbed which has a deck height of 56" when the airbag suspension is inflated. The posi-track dug that ramp in less than 2 hours.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thing works, except when the tines are set at the widest and I'm moving brush piles over uneven ground it can get tippy. I hate going up on three wheels!

Front heavy. I can probably rememdy that with the ballast box.