Find
Notify
Tools

Like to go fast on a bike?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Xero,

nice set up, I put the same headlight (black) on the Fat Boy last week, along with a black LED smoked lens taillight.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Xero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Xero,

nice set up, I put the same headlight (black) on the Fat Boy last week, along with a black LED smoked lens taillight.

I like Fat Boys. I am one --

Street Glide (FLHX) -- and the puny tail light was a concern. It's a triple bar at the bottom of the fender and two turn signal/tail light/stop light modules. Not much in the way of a tail light. Triple bar on the fender doesn't function as a "stop" light. It's just one shade of red.

Harley puts out an LED triple bar accessory "Center Mount Auxiliary Light" It lights up for the stops. $100 for the light, about $70 for shop install -- I don't like to install wiring.

And, say what you will, I pull on an orange reflective vest for riding at night. I've had commercial drivers tell me that it makes a HUGE difference for them in figuring out what that thing is down the highway.

==================================================================
A. Hamilton "The Federalist, No. 29, 'Concerning the Militia'"

[I]f circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens. This appears to me the only substitute that can be devised for a standing army, and the best possible security against it, if it should exist.

Posts: 130 | Location: Tombouctou, Mali  | Registered: 11 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hear that the government in Mali is experiencing a bit of "turmoil" these days...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Xero
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hear that the government in Mali is experiencing a bit of "turmoil" these days...

"Timbuktu" is an common expression for "Out in the middle of nowhere." I once got a match on a dating site for someone else from Timbuktu. I told her about its being an expression for "out in the boonies."

Her comment was, "I wonder wonder what that same expression is for those who live in Timbuktu?"

She was in Atlanta GA.

[I]f circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens. This appears to me the only substitute that can be devised for a standing army, and the best possible security against it, if it should exist.

Posts: 130 | Location: Tombouctou, Mali  | Registered: 11 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting, so is Idaho. For which, we are eternally grateful...

One of Us
Picture of Xero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Interesting, so is Idaho. For which, we are eternally grateful...

Have a friend here from Moscow. One of her favorite expressions is, "I da 'ho!"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And, say what you will, I pull on an orange reflective vest for riding at night. I've had commercial drivers tell me that it makes a HUGE difference for them in figuring out what that thing is down the highway.

The best I have ever seen was on trip home from the rifle range. I was driving up hill to the west into the gloom of a late setting sun when all things are as blind as a bat.
I over took a couple riding separate motorcycles. She was wearing a florescent blue vest and he was wearing florescent orange vest.
The blue stood out like nothing I have ever seen on the road.

Which reminds me...
About 2 years ago I got near my first main highway to work and there was a bit of a traffic jam. Some of the traffic was being routed through the drive of a large convenience store. At the intersection I could see a yellow motorcyle, a body and a minivan. Pulling past wreck I turned directly east to look into the morning sun rising out of the highway. The color of the motorcycle was an exact match for the sun. The unalert minivan drive killed the 30 year old guy on the bike and I suspect the guy on the bike had no idea that he was nearly invisible.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Xero
posted Hide Post
quote:
I suspect the guy on the bike had no idea that he was nearly invisible.

Nearly invisible -- My bike is "denim black" which is the "Harley Custom Color" for "Primer black." Black leathers, black helmet, black gloves, black boots.

Rain suit is orange w/ reflective strips. Heated pants have reflective piping down the side of the legs.

EVERYONE on the road needs to be aware that when the sun is low in the sky that it impairs visibility for someone -- if not you, it's the guy coming at you who can't see.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seen a guy right his bike to work today. It was 8. You are all nuts.

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it got up to eight today. My bike looks lonesome sitting in the garage; but I had to use 4H to get my P/U out of the driveway.