Find
Notify
Tools

BC Mountain Goat 2009
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of opus72
posted

Posts: 262 | Location: Mount Pleasant, SC | Registered: 02 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW,that dog takes some good trophy pics.Did it take long to train him? Wink

Beautiful goat,looks like you had a fine hunt.

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice!
Distance for the shoot?
How many hours walking before getting to the animal?
What gun/caliber?
optics?
STIGSmiler

Posts: 87 | Location: Norway | Registered: 28 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of opus72
posted Hide Post
The dog belonged to my guide and boy was he a life saver. He carried about 35 pounds of gear for us.

The shot was 160-170 meters. We had a float plane land us on an alpine lake about half way up the mountain and climbed up to the top over the course of that afternoon. We spotted this goat on an opposite peak the next morning and made a stalk on hime - down the peak we were on and up to where he was. We caught up with him at around 3pm.

Remington Model 700 - 300 Remington Ultra Mag

Swarovski 6-24x56

Posts: 262 | Location: Mount Pleasant, SC | Registered: 02 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice, what did he go in length?

It looks like up near Dease Lake to me and I gotta ask, how did a "South Calinky" boy find humping up a goat mountain? Tough sluggin', even when you are young and born here and do it all the time!

To me, a RM Goat taken by backpacking, is among THE real trophies and one of the very few I would really love to have...and might yet.

We were in northern BC last Sept., but, it poured rain constantly until my friend with the Goat draw decided we should head down to the Kootenays and try for an Elk on a draw he had there. We saw a REAL dandy, but, just inside a park boundary and I am pretty certain it was a big old Nanny, which I would never kill.

You look in the photos as though you prepared properly and also were determined, about 65% of the "battle", IMO.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of opus72
posted Hide Post
Dewey,
We drove through Dease Lake. We based out of Telegraph Creek, then took the float plane out from there. I don't have the exact measurements yet but about 10 on each side. He's gonna be close to B&C, but might be just shy.
Even if he doesn't make book, he's the trophy I'm most proud of. Really is no way to train for that kind of terrain in the flat lands of SC. I spent a lot of time on the stair climber, but that doesn't prep your feet too well for the way your boots rub the feet when you're going up a mountain. Now I know what to expect in the future.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a beautiful trophy and thanks for posting the fantastic pictures.

Posts: 548 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote