Notify
Tools

some trapline pictures
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fishguts

are you trapping in the Adirondacks?
Did you know (were acquainted with) E. J. Daily and O. L. Butcher?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
no i didnt get to meet either of them. i have met johny thorp a few times and a quite a few other well known trappers though. im back at it again, will have more pics for yas soon.

Posts: 167 | Location: northeast NY | Registered: 04 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J_Zola:
577, I use a.22 short to the head or squeeze the breath out of them. Depends on the location.

I have strangled things before, it is a very wierd feeling.

I had taken this antelope doe last year and I spined her. She wasn't all that big and I didn't want to shoot her again. And the knife was in the truck several hundred yards away. So I decided the best choice was to strangle her.

It's a hard thing to do. I recommend against it if you are a softie.

22 bullet to the head works pretty good. When I am smart enough to carry a knife I put a knife tip in their atlas joint and break the connection between their brain and spine. Kind of bloody and gross, but it's instant.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am really enjoying the photo's. I used to trap and hunt raccoon as a youngster and teen. My method of dispatching critters was to stun them with a club then strangle them.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finished a hunt with an outfitter in Canada that also traps.

He said that China was the main buyer.

He also brought up a good point about furs. The greenies hate fur. But, so much of what we wear now is oil based.

Guess the greenies have somewhat of a conundrum... oil vs fur.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
heres a few pics from this season
sofar

Posts: 167 | Location: northeast NY | Registered: 04 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pictures fishguts. Thanks much for posting them.

Some yrs ago a friend called us out to try culling a few coyotes that had been eating fresh born calves and the hindend off the cows too while they were down.

Mighty heart rending to look such scene's over.

We called our best but, the cattle just circled around us close so we couldn't even see 15 feet because of them. We tried several different areas and it always turned out the same way. They'd come running and circle us tight.

Finally we just had to give up. Too bad we didn't get into trapping at the time. I'd imagine the cows would tromp the coyotes to pcs when they were hung up and couldn't get away.

Anyone else have such results?
Thank you,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
Great photos.

As far as coyotes, we had an extensive feral dog problem in my area of central NC until the coyotes moved in. Didn't like the competition I guess. Haven't seen a feral dog on my property in months.

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by fishguts:
heres a few pics from this season
sofar

Hey, it looks like you trapped an old fat guy...

What'd ya catch him on, leg hold?

animal

Just kidding. Thanks for the pics. I'd like to see more. Sorry about the fur prices. They're still bad here too. I don't even try to save and sell pelts anymore. Just not worth the effort. I don't trap, but I've been interested. Just don't really know how to get started.

I do call em and shoot em however. Especially 'yotes. I shoot every one of those I can.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wallhead:
With all due respect, and complete awareness this may be an invite to all who disagree or feel I do not have the right, I don't think I could be a trapper. Something about the eyes, I guess.

But to each his own - not an attempt to pass judgment here - I am a hunter - just my opinion.

Actually, I was a little shocked. Trapping is still a big thing around here and there are more humane methods, which our laws have embraced. No excuse for having an animal suffer in a trap.
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Pennsylvania did a study and DNA tested over 100 coyotes. Our coyotes and not related to the Western one but somehow cross bred with the wolf.
Not enough dog to even matter.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams:
quote:
Originally posted by Wallhead:
With all due respect, and complete awareness this may be an invite to all who disagree or feel I do not have the right, I don't think I could be a trapper. Something about the eyes, I guess.

But to each his own - not an attempt to pass judgment here - I am a hunter - just my opinion.

Actually, I was a little shocked. Trapping is still a big thing around here and there are more humane methods, which our laws have embraced. No excuse for having an animal suffer in a trap.
Grizz

I probably can't sway you but are you aware that almost all of those foot-hold traps allow an animal to be released completely unharmed? Many times an animal is resting comfortably or sleeping when you approach it in the morning.

I understand where you're coming from....NONE of us want to see animals suffer needlessly.....including trappers.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote