New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Specialty Pistol
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

This is my long range specialty pistol. It is a Savage target action, Brux barrel, Jim See brake, McCree target stock. Its chambered in 7mmSAUM topped with a Leupold 6.5x20 rifle scope, with Holland ART reticle installed. I load 162gr Hornady Amax bullets over 67.0 grs of H1000 powder and Fed Magnum LR match primers. I killed this antelope at 926 yards with one shot and she dropped on the spot. I shot her resting the pistol on my backpack in the prone position. I have it recorded on video.

Posts: 273 | Location: ga. | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool! I want to see the video!

Posts: 3427 | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Friend of mine is working on it right now.

Posts: 273 | Location: ga. | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have a 4th July shoot in Eagle, Ak. Few years back, I ran into a guy from Tenn with a S&W 460, 10 inch; shooting 200 grain hornadys. He could hit a 12 inch target 2 out of 3 times at 400 yards. I ended up buying the 460 off him. I can hit at 200 yards, but not consistently, ha. I keep the gun on the trk dash when I run down the road; come fall on supply runs to town; killed a few caribou with it.

I guess some of you guys are quite serious about this sort of thing.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Pistol my ass, I was working with SCI trophy records department "trying" to get handgun defined by the ammunition it shoots rather than the length of the smart end. They (SCI) disagree as well so good luck. If you can define a pistol as something you can haul on your shoulder via "African carry" in your video...........OK.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3377 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, What is the defination of a handgun according to SCI Record Books Dept.?

Posts: 144 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 19 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Nganga, so you consider a pistol caliber rifle a pistol because of the round it shoots? Come on now, that's just ridiculous. Either that, or you have double standards for something without a stock, and something with.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,
IIRC, their definition was "Not fired from the shoulder".

Tyler,
We all have differing opinions about this stuff, here's the argument I used with the trophy records dept.

If we are to have a "handguns only" category, what possible sense does it make to shoot a "short rifle" using traditional rifle cartridges and long range optics? NONE. I petitioned T/C's be moved to rifle as well. I feel many "record book guys" use them strictly to gain advantage for placement in the top tiers of any category. counter, why would anyone use a bolt action rifle chambered in say.....45ACP to hunt kudu?

I had a well thought out comprehensive list of traditional handgun cartridges to be accepted along with max barrel length data as well.

Just watch the video again, does your definition of handgun include "African carry" in it?

Here in Arizona we have both Deer and Elk muzzleloader seasons specifically placed closely to archery seasons to allow for rut hunts on both species originally placed for the disadvantaged "smokepoles". Todays rear ignition type scope sighted muzzleloaders just do not follow the original spirit of those seasons. I feel they should be 100% loaded from the muzzle and no breech access at all. Now, I know -0- or less about muzzleloaders, so forgive my ignorance.

As you see my gist is; sportsman using "loopholes" or technology to up their odds at special seasons or high record book placement.
completely converse to the true definition of "sportsman"

So Tyler, I believe I am 100% consistent here.

Regards,

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3377 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nganga:
Mark,
IIRC, their definition was "Not fired from the shoulder".

Tyler,
We all have differing opinions about this stuff, here's the argument I used with the trophy records dept.

If we are to have a "handguns only" category, what possible sense does it make to shoot a "short rifle" using traditional rifle cartridges and long range optics? NONE. I petitioned T/C's be moved to rifle as well. I feel many "record book guys" use them strictly to gain advantage for placement in the top tiers of any category. counter, why would anyone use a bolt action rifle chambered in say.....45ACP to hunt kudu?

I had a well thought out comprehensive list of traditional handgun cartridges to be accepted along with max barrel length data as well.

Just watch the video again, does your definition of handgun include "African carry" in it?

Here in Arizona we have both Deer and Elk muzzleloader seasons specifically placed closely to archery seasons to allow for rut hunts on both species originally placed for the disadvantaged "smokepoles". Todays rear ignition type scope sighted muzzleloaders just do not follow the original spirit of those seasons. I feel they should be 100% loaded from the muzzle and no breech access at all. Now, I know -0- or less about muzzleloaders, so forgive my ignorance.

As you see my gist is; sportsman using "loopholes" or technology to up their odds at special seasons or high record book placement.
completely converse to the true definition of "sportsman"

So Tyler, I believe I am 100% consistent here.

Regards,

Steve

I couldn't agree more with your comment about muzzleloaders. They have some on the market that are accurate out to 500 yds (according to ad).

Posts: 503 | Registered: 27 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Probably not the best place for this but, "When Does Hunting Stop And Merely Shooting Begin"?

On one thread Saeed astated that in the end, we are all just shooters, and if we are going to kill something that is a true statement.

At what point however does Fair Chase get taken out of the equation? Many hunters claim that hunting anything over a bait from ablind/stand, is not Fair Chase, I don't necessaarily disagree with that line of reasoning.

Where does Long Range shooting, 600 yards plus figure in on the concept of Fair Chase?

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Probably not the best place for this but, "When Does Hunting Stop And Merely Shooting Begin"?

On one thread Saeed astated that in the end, we are all just shooters, and if we are going to kill something that is a true statement.

At what point however does Fair Chase get taken out of the equation? Many hunters claim that hunting anything over a bait from ablind/stand, is not Fair Chase, I don't necessaarily disagree with that line of reasoning.

Where does Long Range shooting, 600 yards plus figure in on the concept of Fair Chase?

CHC,

What REALLY scares me is that the longer I stick around AR the more you and I agree. I think that merely the fact that this gets posted as an oddity gives you the answer, compassion for a humane kill is not the goal, just how far can I toss a bullet....sort of in control.

Hunting....Shooting or Killing?

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I moved my response to the American Big Game Hunting topic area, so as not to futher detract from this discussion or the topic area in general.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
You can't get ethics into a long range hunting conversation. This was one shot one kill, because of skill.

There are so many more deer wounded by hillbillies in a 100 mile radius to me shooting at close range, that those attempting 600+ yard shots don't really even register.

Nganga, so if one was to hunt with a 500 S&W carbine, do you consider this a pistol or rifle?

What about a BFR shooting a 45-70?

Too many variables.

A special long range pistol is harder to use than you would think. Not the same as getting behind a rifle and shooting quickly, although the dope may be similar.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would consider that a rifle, he choose to disadvantage himself by shooting a handgun round in a carbine, rather than the other way round.

I race bicycles, I'm 50, that is why, if I want, I can race with the 40 year olds but not the 60 year olds. Same logic

I'll not convince you, nor do I wish to try, I simply started this by commenting that is not a pistol and it is not.

Steve.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, and to answer your question,

What about a BFR in 45-70? my answer would be why? you can come up with all sorts of horseshit hypothetical's. My response stated...TRADITIONAL HANDGUN cartridges. If that is not satisfactory, you are simply looking for an argument, which I will not supply.

Formerly "Nganga"