Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7 rem. mag question
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I have a weatherby vangaurd in 7 mag. I think it is the 154 grain hornady interlock that I have a load that is accurate. We tried many different combinations before getting to that one.

Wondered what length barrel gets the most out of the 7 mag, if I was ever to rebarrel and restock the gun to really be for long range. I think the stock flexes now when on a bi-pod.

I'd like to turn it into a project for long range, any thoughts on barrel length and the stock would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Posts: 5 | Location: Irvine, CA. | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the 26 inch barrels are the best for wringing the maximum out of a 7MM RM and/or the improved mags like the 7MM Weatherby or the 7MMSTW. For a more normal "hunting" rifle the 24 inch is probably very good.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
I use H1000 in my 7 RUM just remember to use mag primiers. I tried CCI 200 ONE TIME 3 hang fires and 22 duds.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If may not answer the question of which bullet stabilizes best, but for deer hunting I am using the 120gr Barnes TTSX - stabilizes great, 3400 fps, and accurate. This is with a Winchester M70.

Posts: 64 | Location: MS & Louisiana | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does the 120gr Barnes TTSX pencil through or does it expand?

Posts: 1935 | Registered: 30 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It expands. I have never found a bullet but the opening on exit shows it opens. The last few I have shot behind the shoulder ran 20 to 30 yards. It doesn't leave a really big blood trail on the pine straw, but then neither does my 405 winchester!

Posts: 64 | Location: MS & Louisiana | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for responding,
I have a bunch of Landowner Tags, I plan on using these to get the whitetails off the ranch and maintain the muley population.

Posts: 1935 | Registered: 30 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 73 grains of retumbo with a 168 Sierra match king. Its very accurate and so far has worked on deer.

Posts: 56 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 01 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post