Find
Notify
Tools

Case Prep Is It Needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted
How much if any is needed? I have over years gone from a lot of case prep to none

These groups were all shot with cases that got no prep. I will trim them to length when needed

Range was 300 yards for both groups the first target was shot with a 300 win mag, the second a 338 Lapua

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yuck
Nice try to pretend to be a contributer

Posts: 179 | Location: Andromeda Galaxy | Registered: 02 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
Doesn't look like those cases need any prep...but the only way to know for sure is to do prep them and see if you can eliminate that "flyer".

What brand of case and rifle?...doesn't look like your average run of the mill, out of the box rifle...but then again.

If it repeats for a couple of targets I would save those cases for competition or that "special" hunt.

Luck

Posts: 1338 | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Wilde:
yuck
Nice try to pretend to be a contributer

Are you volunteering to be the peanut gallery? You appear to have a good grasp of that function.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

Posts: 2389 | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FOOBAR:
Doesn't look like those cases need any prep...but the only way to know for sure is to do prep them and see if you can eliminate that "flyer".

What brand of case and rifle?...doesn't look like your average run of the mill, out of the box rifle...but then again.

If it repeats for a couple of targets I would save those cases for competition or that "special" hunt.

Luck

Winchester cases in the 300 win and Lapua cases in the 338 Lapua

The 300 winn is a Mark X a Mauser with a Douglas XX barrel in a Brown Precision stock

The 338 is built on a Rem 700 action with an ABS carbon wrapped barrel in a Rem Senderou stock

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems like i'm doing less myself as well JW.

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've noticed over the past 50 years a tendency to reduce fliers with proper case prep. IMHO those good 4-shot groups with one out can turn into good 5-shot groups with good brass, proper case prep and good loading techniques. Of course an accurate rifle is also necessary.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's easy to get good groups without doing any case prep. Just shoot three shot groups and pretend the bad groups don't exist. Then you can brag and post photos of your good three shot groups like the gun writers do. Of course there's some others who are guilty of the same thing. Or just blame the shots that are out on a poor trigger squeeze or an errant puff of wind.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swampshooter:
I've noticed over the past 50 years a tendency to reduce fliers with proper case prep. IMHO those good 4-shot groups with one out can turn into good 5-shot groups with good brass, proper case prep and good loading techniques. Of course an accurate rifle is also necessary.

Except for competition maybe needed, but is it realy needed for long range hunting where one doesn't shoot more than once or twice at an animal

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jwp475,
Do you check for run out?
If so what brand tool do you use and what is the maximum run out that you accept?

Posts: 592 | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
No, I don't not check for run out. I do check bullet ogive length with this tool

As can be seen the 2 Accu Bonds from different lots have different ogival lengths

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I noticed the different ogive measurements on old and new Hornady 175gr. 7mm bullets that I use in my 7X57..

Posts: 592 | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
John---Bearing surface(total from back to front)is Very important as you know I use the one designed by John Buhay who let's Tubbs sell it. Will turn necks only to the extent that they will have uniform and adequate clearance for example competition rifles and sporters that are made from the same reamers. On others just turn enough to get the high spots off so to speak and to make sure there is not a clearance issue.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JWP475, Case prep will improve our bench groups. I've never had a bench in the field with me, except prairie dog shooting. If my rifle and loads would shoot one MOA I wouldn't do any more for hunting than that.

One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
You definitely have to well put together rifles and the ability to actually use the rifles capabilities...plus knowing HOW to make good ammo...I would bet if you shot those same cases again, numbering them and firing them in order you would probably find that one case is slightly different enought to keep putting it out of the group...in case volume or neck tension or neck dimensions, base squareness or...

I seen very few rifles/shooters that can do that well at 100 yds much less 300...especially anything in those large calibers so you are to be congratulated...AND ENVIED...AND HATED( Frowner Mad shocker ) by all those wannabees who wished they could do the same. Big Grin Eeker lol

The only way to tell is to fire another set of targets and see...

Please do and let us know.

I haven't competed in benchrest for 30 odd years or attended any matches OR talked with the latest bunch of shooters on HOW they develop their wining loads/cases...but in the bad old days I went through all the steps in case pred...THEN fired all the cases I would use in matches and eliminated ALL the cases that were going out of the group...sometimes two or three times...THEN used those cases for the match.

Todays cases are much more uniform...SOMETIMES.

I'm having fits right now with a 6mm-284 not performing as it should. I just received 40 Norma 6.5x284 case, necked them down then started measuring...the necks ran up to 0.002" out, lengths by 0.006", plus the base to shoulder length ran .005" difference...so after resizing, turning and triming I fired all 40 cases with a load that was showing promise from a previous 6mm-284.

Out of those 40 cases I have about 30 that go into about 5/8"...all the rest go where ever they want.

I haven't measured the runout on many of my rifles for quite a while as the accuracy is in the 1/2" range for 3-5 which is plenty good for those calibers, but I started doing it with this 6mm and found 0-003"- 0.004" on EVERY ROUND including swapping to another press...so these very high dollar Redding Competition dies are going back and I just ordered a Wilson seater last night.

I guarantee this rifle is giving me fits including the fact that the neck OD is running 0.281" fired...and sizes about 0.010" which is way too much for good case life. This is an ER Shaw barrel and they did the chamber...it has a tight spot at the very end of the base about 0.300" wide, so if I can't get it to shoot with the new bullet seater it will go back...or I will rent a reamer and recut the chamber to match specs.

The chamber is a bit long also as I have to use a 0.006" plus Redding Comp shell holder to adjust out the "excess" headspace and give me about 0.002" shoulder set back.

Here is an example of one case, #3, putting the bullet out each time to almost the same place...the other two cases also grouped the same place each time...targer 1 and 4 are the same load and the wind caught shot #3 in target 1. This is an ER Shaw 220 Swift barrel also and I'm well satisfied...I'm not blaming Shaw...I've had Douglas, Hart and Shilen barrels that turned out bad also...very seldom...I've used Shaw barrels in a number of calibers and this 6mm is the first that is questionable...BUT...it just might be the runout from the seating die causing the problem.

Keep up the good shooting!!

Luck

Posts: 1338 | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post