THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Do you correct for AMMO temprature?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you correct for AMMO temprature?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackley Improved User:
I think there's only a handful of long-range shooters posting here...I think AR has become mostly an Africa sport hunting and outfitter forum.

Yes, that is very true. . Tibarosaurus Rex has done really an exhaustive video series on long range precision shooting. Of course he lives in wide open country and has access to some ideal country for long range shooting. . Ammo temp is important as is barrel temp in extreme cold weather. . In cold, a steel circle constricts. Quite a bit actually. Jacking pressure Way up. But the air becomes very thick. So, for a precision shot at-45°F there are LOTS of dynamics that come into play to make a first round precision hit.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dogleg:
I don't think we'll ever be able to completely make a science out of some that has a large art component. That doesn't mean it isn't worth trying.

If I've learned one thing about long range shooting its that if someone thinks they are going to buy a Kestrel, program, chronograph data and the rifle of the day and be an instant 1000 yard first shot killing machine they are several kinds of delusional. Having said that, at powder burn ranges of 500 and down its surprising how sloppy you can get and still be effective.

I think you Nailed It!!
Long range, first round hits are complex and for the mentally challenged like myself. The added complexity of using a computer to figure a shot kinda takes the fun out of shooting for me.
If possible I prefer to wait out the wind and being in Alaska, mirage isn't too bad.
My personal thing is. I'm a rifle shooter because I like to shoot. Not play on a computer.
Shooters half my age may get a nut with the puter and consider the shot secondary.
But that app isn't going to put meat in the freezer or hides on a stretcher board.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post