THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Do you correct for AMMO temprature?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you correct for AMMO temprature?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't think I could stabilize that 80 gr AMAX - my twist rate is 1 in 12".

Posts: 3720 | Registered: 03 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackley Improved User:
Don't think I could stabilize that 80 gr AMAX - my twist rate is 1 in 12".

Yea, I rebarreled my Swift just to shoot heavier bullets.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very interesting day yesterday long range shooting. Took out my .338 Lapua and a 300 RUM. Wind was really gusting from behind and then left to right, at times almost stopping.

First shot with the Lapua the mirage was pretty flat and the trees around the rock were blowing pretty hard - but mostly the wind was from behind. I hate this condition because a little switch in direction can kill you. My anemometer was barely reading anything because there was a slight hill behind me. Based on the mirage and trees, I figured 1.5 MOA, added 1/2 MOA for spin drift, held 2 MOA and shot. Hit my 3 inch aiming circle. Switched to the RUM. Studied the wind. Shot holding 3 MOA (2.5 plus 1/2) and hit 1 MOA left - as soon as I shot I feared I would be left because the wind had almost died - that is the trouble if you don't have a spotter.

Moved to 744 at a slightly different angle. Mirage was left to right. Got ready to shoot, checked the mirage, and was stunned to see the mirage right to left and fairly flat. Checked my wind flag over my scope - it was blowing to the right. Figured 2.5 MOA, took off .5 for spin drift, and let er fly. Hit about four inches high, perfect windage.

MsAZW was flying in from BOS so had to leave. Just goes to show, always trust the mirage. All three shots were sitting with a Harris bipod and shooting sling (buttsock on my knee, arm in sling, with left hand under my left leg griping the sling at the buttsock).

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Need details - estimated wind speed and why, etc.

one of us
posted Hide Post
AIU:

I don't really think in terms of wind speed per se, but rather in terms of MOA. In other words, I don't say "Gee that is a 10 mph wind and therefore I hold 4 MOA," but rather "Gee, that is a 4 MOA wind." Or, "The wind is only 2 mph at my site, but the mirage is flat and I can see the tops of palo verde trees blowing, so I better hold about 3 MOA."

I do use an anemometer to measure the wind, but as I have said before, the actual effect is almost always more than the speed at my site.

Until we can measure wind speed using laser doppler anemometers, the answer is not formulaic derivation (as range/distance is today) but rather it is only an estimate. And like all estimates, experience and practice is the only way to get better. JMO, which has changed over the years as I am sure yours has.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fascinating topic of shooting at extended ranges and the resulting wind impact on the flight of the bullet. No question that determining the wind speed, direction, etc. at long ranges can be scientifically determined, but not so much on a daily practical, field manner. At 1000yds. the 308/30-06 calibers are near their practical limits and if attending a Long Range match at such distances, no electrical devices are permitted on the firing line, yet skilled shooters can maintain the bulk of their shots, 20 for example, in an area the size of 1-2moa(that is 10 or X ring size.) On the firing line and when "coaching" fellow shooters the adjustments are always given as minutes of angle/moa for not all shooter have sight systems with the same amount of adjustment per click of the sight, some have full minutes, half minutes, quarter minutes, etc. and the shooters would adjust according to their particular sight system, be they mechanical or optical.
A full understanding of the flight of the bullet is important to the shooter, but making those adjustments for the wind is more of an art form coupled with science and not always one or the other. It's called "time behind the gun" and no substitute for that experience for the varying conditions.
For the shooter to be able to place some 98% of his 20 rounds in a 10" circle at 1000yds., prone/sling/iron sights, is no mean task and requires both knowledge of the science involved, but skill as a marksman.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

For fun I'll use the advanced wind kit supplied by Ballistics-Advanced and calculate windage in MOA, after you define wind conditions for your shot and how much windage you provided to make you shot.

I would want you to give me...

1. Altitude (or absolute barometric pressure) and temperature - clearly, air density effects the windage calculation.
2. Distance in yards to the target with the uphill/downhill angle, if relevant.
3. Detailed description of the wind - relative to the LOF - using anemometer for wind speed at FFP (ie., if you have one) and wind speed "feel" downrange using traditional wind estimate observations, as well as mirage angle by spotting scope.
4. Sight height, Zero point (with or without any vertical or horizontal offset), bullet data (weight, BC, length) and muzzle velocity corrected for temperture (assume ammo temp = ambient temp) for ToF, spin drift, cross-wind jump, Coriolis effect (for very long shots will need azimuth and LoF), vertical solution, etc. I'll assume right-hand twist unless told otherwise.

I'll tell you how long it takes me to calculate the windage, and then we'll compare the computed solution to your solution, based on your experience alone and actual observed hit point.

Let do it.

Regards, AIU

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guys,

For fun I'll use the advanced wind kit supplied by Ballistics-Advanced and calculate windage in MOA, after you define wind conditions for your shot and how much windage you provided to make you shot.

I would want you to give me...

1. Altitude (or absolute barometric pressure) and temperature - clearly, air density effects the windage calculation.
2. Distance in yards to the target with the uphill/downhill angle, if relevant.
3. Detailed description of the wind - relative to the LOF - using anemometer for wind speed at FFP (ie., if you have one) and wind speed "feel" downrange using traditional wind estimate observations, as well as mirage angle by spotting scope.
4. Sight height, Zero point (with or without any vertical or horizontal offset), bullet data (weight, BC, length) and muzzle velocity corrected for temperture (assume ammo temp = ambient temp) for ToF, spin drift, cross-wind jump, Coriolis effect (for very long shots will need azimuth and LoF), vertical solution, etc. I'll assume right-hand twist unless told otherwise.

I'll tell you how long it takes me to calculate the windage, and then we'll compare the computed solution to your solution, based on your experience alone and actual observed hit point.

Let do it.

Regards, AIU

I will describe the conditions, to include my anemometer readings. But there is no point in my telling you what I think the holdoff should be, because you think it can be calculated via a device. After you tell me the wind hold, I will tell you what I held and where it hit.

BTW, I will provide range and the wind; the other stuff is not material - as I said, the vertical component of drop is formulaic, but the wind is not. The wind will be somewhat impacted by air density, but not enough to make a huge difference.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what scenario you're going to present, and there may be up wind and/or down wind issues. Moreover, if you're shooting far enough - extended long range - then coriolis effect may become important, since it has both horizontal and vertical components. Finally, spind drift is important, and if you're shooting far enough then the maximum ordinate of the bullet path may require wind gradient adjustments...it all depends. Why not supply all the data? What harm it can it cause?

one of us
posted Hide Post
AIU:

I am too busy to write all of that down (I do keep a log, but I keep it by gun and location (there are three different areas I shoot long range).

I did buy that app and i will let you know what I think, but my first thought is the wind is still going to be the killer. I notice the HUD doesn't show spin drift but the trajectory table does. The HUD rounds off to full MOA, which is a bit too coarse for me, as I think in 1/2 or even 1/4 MOA terms.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try StrelokPRO (10$) - I think you'll like it even better, but its wind is traditional (i.e., constant) and not as versatile as wind kit of Ballistics/Advanced.

Time permiting, one could solve for wind with Ballistics and otherwise use StrelokPRO for hunting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Try StrelokPRO (10$) - I think you'll like it even better, but its wind is traditional (i.e., constant) and not as versatile as wind kit of Ballistics/Advanced.

Time permiting, one could solve for wind with Ballistics and otherwise use StrelokPRO for hunting.

I tried the Bal/Adv yesterday. Will write more when I have time, but the feature to put in different wind patterns is detrimental to the product; I shot a .338 Lapua and a Swift (80 gr AMAX) yesterday. After shooting the Lapua, I switched to the Swift and it had LESS wind drift than the Lapua. I spent several minutes trying to figure out what was going on. Eventually found the wind was not constant across the range (a thin slice of wind instead of a constant wind across the range). Once I fixed that, it had a solution that made sense.

I do like the way you wipe the wind speed direction, but you have to remember to point it in the direction the wind is going, not from where it is coming.

But I will say I am glad I bought it and thanks AIU for digging in your heels. But it won't solve the problem of wind by itself. I found the biggest value was sitting there and evaluating different wind conditions - they varied by as much 4.5 MOA depending on speed and direction. The time it takes to use causes you to think a little bit more about the exact wind condition you want to shoot in, instead of looking at the scope (mirage), the wind activity, the anemometer, and making a decision.

Incidentally, if I just entered the anemometer speed and angle I would have missed by a country mile. More when I have time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot year round on my own range. Summer temperatures tend to be 15-30 C and we will regularly shoot to -20C and occasionally down a bit colder than that. There's a fairly consistent 1 MOA correction needed at 650-800 yards between the two extremes with loads that are less temperature sensitive. Part of that will be the velocity drop, and part from the heavy air. I'll alternately add the minute for the winter conditions, slip the scale 1 minute or in the case of a couple of favorite rifles use summer and winter loads. An extra grain of powder seems to make a lot of the "problem" go away.

We were out plinking yesterday, mostly at 650 and 800 yards. The head of a steel IPSC target is a fun target once a few sighters have been thrown out there.

Here's the situation. I've got 4 flags spaced out from the shooting position to 800. Yesterday the wind would be sometimes blowing in 3 different directions just to get to 650.As often as not the mirage would be going the opposite direction as the 650 flag. Ranges up to 500 are partially protected on left to right winds by a tree line, but take the brunt of it of a right to left wind. Shots at 650 and out are above the trees the whole way. An elevated flag at 200 well above the trees would often show that the wind at that point was perhaps 3 times the force as at the relatively sheltered shooting position and usually in a different direction. A headwind from the 800 yard target has to jump a 30+ degree slope down to the lake at approximately 200 yards and if my calculations are correct gives a lift/deflection equal to a half force wind. At just 650 the mirage will lift the POI up to 1 1/2 MOA on the boil though usually closer to 1 MOA. When the mirage flat lines with higher surface wind speeds, or disappears in the morning or evening the elevation correction isn't needed. The 800 yard targets have the bullets flying over the tree tops, across the corner of the lake which has the 30 degree wind modifying slope mentioned before, above about 10 percent of the eagles and down into the targets that are in a opening in the bush that masks the mirage.

What would be a good ballistic program for me? Wink I'd like one that gives simple answers even when there isn't one. Mine isn't working, and my Kestrel has been working as a paperweight as of late.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:

I tried the Bal/Adv yesterday. Will write more when I have time, but the feature to put in different wind patterns is detrimental to the product; I shot a .338 Lapua and a Swift (80 gr AMAX) yesterday. After shooting the Lapua, I switched to the Swift and it had LESS wind drift than the Lapua. I spent several minutes trying to figure out what was going on. Eventually found the wind was not constant across the range (a thin slice of wind instead of a constant wind across the range). Once I fixed that, it had a solution that made sense.

I do like the way you wipe the wind speed direction, but you have to remember to point it in the direction the wind is going, not from where it is coming.

But I will say I am glad I bought it and thanks AIU for digging in your heels. But it won't solve the problem of wind by itself. I found the biggest value was sitting there and evaluating different wind conditions - they varied by as much 4.5 MOA depending on speed and direction. The time it takes to use causes you to think a little bit more about the exact wind condition you want to shoot in, instead of looking at the scope (mirage), the wind activity, the anemometer, and making a decision.

Incidentally, if I just entered the anemometer speed and angle I would have missed by a country mile. More when I have time.

AAZW, you need to go into settings on the iphone main page, scroll down and find Ballistics. Then, set it up they way you want. You can have MOA, MIL, etc in tenths or even hundredths in the HUD, if you want; and, you can set wind in either direction you prefer...READ THE INSTUCTIONS!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dogleg:
I shoot year round on my own range. Summer temperatures tend to be 15-30 C and we will regularly shoot to -20C and occasionally down a bit colder than that. There's a fairly consistent 1 MOA correction needed at 650-800 yards between the two extremes with loads that are less temperature sensitive. Part of that will be the velocity drop, and part from the heavy air. I'll alternately add the minute for the winter conditions, slip the scale 1 minute or in the case of a couple of favorite rifles use summer and winter loads. An extra grain of powder seems to make a lot of the "problem" go away.

We were out plinking yesterday, mostly at 650 and 800 yards. The head of a steel IPSC target is a fun target once a few sighters have been thrown out there.

Here's the situation. I've got 4 flags spaced out from the shooting position to 800. Yesterday the wind would be sometimes blowing in 3 different directions just to get to 650.As often as not the mirage would be going the opposite direction as the 650 flag. Ranges up to 500 are partially protected on left to right winds by a tree line, but take the brunt of it of a right to left wind. Shots at 650 and out are above the trees the whole way. An elevated flag at 200 well above the trees would often show that the wind at that point was perhaps 3 times the force as at the relatively sheltered shooting position and usually in a different direction. A headwind from the 800 yard target has to jump a 30+ degree slope down to the lake at approximately 200 yards and if my calculations are correct gives a lift/deflection equal to a half force wind. At just 650 the mirage will lift the POI up to 1 1/2 MOA on the boil though usually closer to 1 MOA. When the mirage flat lines with higher surface wind speeds, or disappears in the morning or evening the elevation correction isn't needed. The 800 yard targets have the bullets flying over the tree tops, across the corner of the lake which has the 30 degree wind modifying slope mentioned before, above about 10 percent of the eagles and down into the targets that are in a opening in the bush that masks the mirage.

What would be a good ballistic program for me? Wink I'd like one that gives simple answers even when there isn't one. Mine isn't working, and my Kestrel has been working as a paperweight as of late.

If you have an iphone, ipod, and/or ipad I suggest "Ballistics/Advanced" and "StrelokPro". The latter is more user friendly for hunting, but "Ballistics/Advanced" has an advanced wind kit that can be made reproduce the conditions you describe. You get faster using it with experience. It is very sophisticated.

Go to iTunes app store and search for ballistic programs...one 20$ and the other 10$. How can you go wrong with those prices...even for just play.