THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Suitability of Sendero for long range intro.

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suitability of Sendero for long range intro.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i came into a nice 300 Win Mag attached was a Vari x III 4.5x14 50mm scope. I adjusted the trigger , cleaned the barrel and would like to know if you all think using it to learn the basics of L.R. I do have a Mk4 LRT 4.5x14 i can put on it but would like to just learn what i can do. ive got lots of rifles and have hunted a lot i just havent broadened my horizons yet.I have just about every match bullet to try in 308 cal.also.

Posts: 97 | Location: maple valley, wash. | Registered: 19 September 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd say it's a great place to start.
Once you've shot the barrel out, you have a good platform to go custom.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

Put a good scope with target knobs on it and load some 200 gr Match Kings or 208 grain A-Maxes and start having fun!

Posts: 3427 | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I would second the 208 Amaxes. Speed is nice, but those bullets will fly great even at milder velocities.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I have 208 amaxes and 200 accubonds to start with. Planning on using Re22, H and IMR 4831. ive got H1000, Re25 and Retumbo. Any suggestions in that regard?

Posts: 97 | Location: maple valley, wash. | Registered: 19 September 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
74 grains of RL-25 and the 208 A-Max

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks RC. ive got a sequence of 208amaxes and rel 25 ready to go. Now to find time to get to the range.i need to get retired.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Obviously that is load I use in MY rifle.

You need to work up slow however you prefer to develop loads.

I think that the other powders you listed would be good as well. Try the H-1000 and let us know how it works in comparison.

I wanted to try Retumbo, but couldn't get what was listed in the case! I have no idea how anyone does. The starting load would be compressed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey BB, I don't think you could possibly have made a better selection for your First Long Distance Rifle. Excellent Cartridge to begin with as well. tu2

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RL-25 and Berger 210gr VLD's would be worth trying as well.

Posts: 75 | Registered: 31 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
505Gibbs. i loaded some up last nite(210 bergers) before i saw your post. i am trying to convince wife and daughter that on fathers day , day should go to the range.This Sendero came along while i am in process of building another semi custom 300 win mag(btw my first 300s)i have a Pac NOr 1 in 10 .308 stainless going on a rem 700 no. 5 contour. Steve Kostanich is doing the chambering and ill do the bedding when i find a stock. im thinking of course McMIllian. im not sure if the A-5 type is best. any suggestions stock wise. thanks guys , i do appreciate the input from all of you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with 505 Gibbs - 210 Berger and re25 is the load in my sendero. Moly coated = 2950fps with Lapua brass.
Rifle has been rebedded and Kepplinger trigger.
Shoots .5moa all distances - was better but I put a brake on it as the recoil in this reasonably light rifle was too much for me prone. The brake cahnged the barrel node obviously.
However it is now manageable for me with effective recoil similar to a 308.
**NB - 1 in 10 twist may not stabilise the heavy pills especially teh 240SMK - they do shoot well through my sendero which is 1 in 9 twist i believe.
APB

Posts: 223 | Location: Qld, Australia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Sendero that is bedded, has a brake, but is otherwise stock. Cal is 300 RUM; scope is a 5.5-22 Nightforce. One of my best long range guns, and it doesn't even have a custom barrel.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for all of the help on this. i finally got to the range and tried out the sendero. i did load a ladder with the 208 amax, 210 berger and 200accubond. All three showed a lot of promise. i shot several 3 shot groups with the Berger that were sub half inch. I also fired one 5 shot group at two hundred yards that were under an inch. I acheived book or better velocity with all. Recoil did not seem too bad but is cumalitive and after i was near the end of the session i could tell that it was effecting my shooting. thanks again. Now on longer ranges and more shooting.