THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    New 1000 yard match rifle caliber Q
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New 1000 yard match rifle caliber Q
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm finally able to put together my own 1000 yard rifle for Camp perry team matches, In the past I've always borrowed a rifle as a lot of the younger guys have who shoot High power and don't have something suitable for 1000 yard when our club needs extra members to fill out a team.

I'm buying a VZ-24 action that has already been blue printed and fitted into a richards microfit stock and glass bedded, in fact I've shot the rifle before. The previous owner is moving on to another action and taking his 6.5x284 barrel off the gun so I'm able to start new with the caliber as well. For all practical purposes I'm limited to 30-06 and 6.5-06 for my calibers. I know .308 should be a choice but I'm only shooting team matches that are not caliber specific at Perry and don't want to mess with .308 at this time. All my .308 brass goes elsewhere currently. Also economy is a concern, not so much on powder but on bullets. 6.5 and 30 cal seem to be pretty much the same price for projectiles but I can get many cheap .30 cal bullets for practice, cast and even use M118 tips for reduced yardarge targets. I have 500 pcs of 30-06 LC NM brass on hand if I go the 06 route, If I go 6.5-06 I plan on going through the 500+ pcs of once fired .270 brass I have and weighing cases and culling out 150 or so pieces to make into match brass.

Yes you can shoot it...No you can't have it...Yes I will hunt you down if it turns up missing

Posts: 72 | Location: Bean town, Ohio | Registered: 11 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of wolfhunter 2
posted Hide Post
If you havent already spent your money I have just what you need total pacage for 1000yd comp.new call kevin 952-292-2704

Posts: 155 | Location: mn | Registered: 08 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have long action and still want an 06 based cartridge and you desire 6.5 caliber go with the 6.5-06 AI.

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The proven winners in the last few years are 6mm XC, 6.5-284 and 300 Win Mag. The 7mm RSAUM is an up and coming caliber. I assume that you have the .308 bolt face on your action and if that's the case you could go with a straight .284 or the 30-06 as you suggested. Bullet performance would indicate that the 7mm are the best at this time but they are a bit pricey. If you truly believe that you can win at Perry then you might choose one of the 6mm, 6.5mm or 7mm calibers (those are what's winning). If you just want to compete and "get your feet wet" then the 30-06 is certainly a viable alternative but not much better than the .308.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 826 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
if you are going to shoot long range, you are wasting you money stsrting with a mauser..

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38460 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
If you're shooting a match rifle then you don't waste your barrel shooting cheap bullets for practice.

Every shot through your barrel should be an aimed shot with match level components. You can't practice effectively if your ammunition is not up to match standards.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12534 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna ignore the mauser comment for the simple fact I've seen this particular rifle shoot a pair of 99's before at true 1000. Also Our club range is only 300 yards so for learning the gun and getting used to mechanics of feeding it it makes sense to shoot cheaper bullets through it even if they are pulled 172gr m118 bullets. I'm not up there trying to make the shoot off I would go crazy if I was, I'm not there to prove anything, but to just do the best I can do with what I have. I'll talk with the guys at the club some more sunday when we meet for our offhand practice and get some more feedback.

As far as the Ackley chamberings go I have looked into them but I would have to buy the reamer since there isn't one in the mix.

Yes you can shoot it...No you can't have it...Yes I will hunt you down if it turns up missing

Posts: 72 | Location: Bean town, Ohio | Registered: 11 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wonderwolf:
I'm gonna ignore the mauser comment

please dont, as i didn't make the comment to be a jerk - the mauser has a glacial lock time, and even the best of currently available triggers can't even BEGIN to match rem700/clones,.... much less purpose built custom rifles. the mauser was designed to be tough on the battle field ... its not a match rifle TODAY.

spend smart money on a decent action ... that you've seen the rifle do is an artifact of the shooter...

go to ANY benchrest comp and see how many mausers you see in the top 5 ..

or, of course, don't listen and waste your money .. your call...

#dumptrump

476AR,

Posts: 38460 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:

please dont, as i didn't make the comment to be a jerk - the mauser has a glacial lock time, and even the best of currently available triggers can't even BEGIN to match rem700/clones,.... much less purpose built custom rifles. the mauser was designed to be tough on the battle field ... its not a match rifle TODAY.

spend smart money on a decent action ... that you've seen the rifle do is an artifact of the shooter...

+1
I'm a huge Mauser fan. Own Mauser actions from 257 Roberts to 404 Jeffery. When I go to shoot a match it will be with a Savage Model 10 in .223 or .308 or my Mauser M 03 in .308. There is no comparison.

Now you can use what you want. It's your money and you should be able to field the rifle of your choice. Have there been any Mauser action rifle on the stand at Camp Perry recently?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:

I know where you guys are coming from but really, but we're not going to agree to anything on the action. You're gonna say I havn't shot enough 1000 yard with the same rifle or lack experiance and I'm gonna say its because I've taught over 1200 people how to shoot 3 position over the past 6 years and there are people who are natural shooters and people who have to rely on equipment and the excuses their equipment allows them. And with every ROTC high school 1960's era training rifle on hand you can bet we had some lock times that were pretty bad! But good shooters even with bad equipment can perform. Each shooter is a individual, I'm pretty young at 25 and the majority of my career has been across the course high power and smallbore 50foot out to 200 yards and have some of the very best firearms made and some of the worst rifle ever made. Maybe I just have not reached that platform of experience yet and maybe in 10 years I'll look back in laugh but dangit I'm asking what caliber to chamber the dang thing in and nothing else. I know you think you're trying to help me avoid a possible headache and I appreciate it but I've never had a reason to buy into that school of thinking you guys are subscribed to.

I know you can do a panda action and get it whizbanged out from the get go but just like you say good scores are artifacts of the shooter not necessarily the equipment. No you are not going to probably find my name in the top 3 at camp perry during national matches at least not 1000 yard. But everybody has to start somewhere and right now I'm supporting a girlfriend in grad school and I can't afford to go super tech with this right now, short of taking one of my 700's or CZ550's apart. If you are really THAT concerned about me using the best I'll take donations..... Cool

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
We tried. Confused

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12534 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Chamber a 6.5 X 284.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
We tried. Confused

yep .. but apparently, for naught ..

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Well Coke used to be a nickel!!! What the hell does that have to do with anything? Go ahead and waste your money---really does not matter what caliber you go with because you are going to get spanked.

Sorry but that is the truth of the matter. Been there done that! Frankly if you are haveing to ask these questions you are not really up to speed on what you need to do. You are at the wrong place to ask.

My Smith is one of the better known ones and he would just laugh and send you on down the road. Not being mean just trying to keep you from a huge waste of time and money.

"Winning isn't everything but losing sucks"

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yeah, I'm hopeless I know. Thanks anyways guys! you managed to accuse me of all sorts of things on a topic that is more subjective than simple caliber choice. I used to hold this forum in a pretty high place but instead of listing the multiple things wrong with a mauser as a choice you just give me "wasting your money" and "lock time" and nothing else except that the winners don't use them so neither should you. I've already put money down on the action and I don't back out on deals so I'm ending up with a match grade Mauser if I want to or not. THATS why I'm saying i'm done talking about actions. YES I know there are better out there, I'm not saying the mauser is the best I'm saying "this is what I have to work with" and I'm not out of touch or not up to speed and I do take offense to that certain comment by the way. I'm saying I have the choice between 6.5 and 30-06, and maybe AI if I can scrape it together. Hell you guys didn't even ask me the kinds of sights I was using or even the barrel I'm putting on the dang rifle. But I guess you had enough faith in me that I know what I was doing there?

I've found that in here you guys really don't like anybody who doesn't drink the kool-aid and shuts up. If I have to rock the latest BR caliber and pop start gunsmith action to get looked at seriously in here then I will go elsewhere to get these questions answered. Thank you for your time and effort but I fear you have only managed to make us both sour it appears.