New
Find
Notify
Tools

POST YOUR RIG!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
See you in the morning. It's gonna be windy.

Posts: 3427 | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JPL,

Thanks for the write up. I can understand why you chose that particular bottom metal. Hope it shoots well for you.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
My 2 long range rigs.

Both are 6.5x284. The black one is a carbon stock and wrapped barrel. The other is a much heavier rifle I use at he range and for some long range prairie dog shooting.

I'm in the process of working up some 140 gr loads with the Berger Target VLDs. So far I only have loads using 130 VLDs and Sirocco IIs. The VLDs are giving me .4 5 shot groups at 100 and the Siroccos are constantly .6 for 5 shots. I am looking forward to seeing what the 140s will do.

The carbon gun with the Siroccos accounted for a long range shot on a very nice pronghorn in New Mexico last year when I ran out of cover at 487 yards from the buck.

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 676 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just finished this Browning X-Bolt for a customer. It is a 300WSM with number 5 contour BBL 25.5" long, 27 with break. He may never shoot game at "long range" but he wanted a gun that could do it. With his 4.5-14 Ziess Conquest, I think he would have a good start with this little rifle. It feels great and shoots well too. 3 shot 180gr Nosler Accubond Nosler ammo measured .674" and some 150 Gr E-tip Winchester loads were .921" Looking forward to seeing what it will do with reloads.

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that a re-barrel job on an X-Bolt?

I've heard it's difficult to do.

Posts: 3427 | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
Is that a re-barrel job on an X-Bolt?

I've heard it's difficult to do.

Yes it is. The factory barrel was 24" i think. They usually shoot pretty well and this one wasn't bad, but he wanted a little heavier and longer with a super match PacNor.

It's not all that difficult of a rebarrel job.

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Pierce action, Seekins dbm, Shilen match barrel 26' barrel, 1:8 twist, 6 mm XC, Mcm A5-3, Jewell trigger and a SuB.

I shoot 105 A-max, moly @ 920 m/s.

Needless to say the rifle outshoots me.

/Chris

Posts: 978 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From top to bottom;

Remington VLS with 28" Gaillard Palma contour, 1-8" .223. Jewel trigger, 6.5-20 Mark 4 (A.C. Douglas)

Remington XR100, 26" Lilja 1-8" 22/243 Middlested, 8.5-25 Mark 4 (A.C. Douglas)

Remington PSS, 27" Lilja 1-11" fluted, Holland lug, Holland Brake,Carlock cheekpiece .300 Win, 6.5-20 Mark 4 (A.C.Douglas)

Bat repeater, Wilde magbox, Jewel Trigger, HS Precision stock, Carlock cheekpiece, Carlock brake, 30" fluted Hart barrel,.338 Edge,8.5-25 Mark 4 (Shawn Carlock)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of sactoller
posted Hide Post
Not as fancy as some, but this is my first. Still learning the ropes...and having a ball!

Ruger M77
Douglas 6.5mm, #2, 24", 1:8
6.5-06AI

Jason Z Alberts

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you." – Samuel Adams

Posts: 347 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: 04 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of ptaylor
posted Hide Post
My 7wsm, seekins mag box, McMillan A3, etc., etc.

Pig at 540 yards off our cliff spot!

Posts: 328 | Location: central TX | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is my ride, Rem 700 trued action, Benchmark 8 twist 3 groove barrel, 1 1/4 no taper. 6.5x284 With a loooonnnngggg throat. Mcmillan Hunter benchrest stock. Load I use is 140 grain Berger VLD's with 52 gns H4831 BR2 primer.
A new 6x47 Lapua in the works.

Blagg Rifles, Eastern OR

Posts: 103 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 06 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Decent buck from last November

423 yards one shot one kill

Action is a Weatherby Vanguard, barrel is a 28", 5.5 contour 12 twist Shilen Stainless Select Match w/11 degree crown, chambered in 300RUM. Lengthened magazine box .125 and shortened bolt stop .125 Burris Black Diamond 6-24X50 Burris rings and Leupold bases. Stock is a Lam-tech, glass bedded and floated. Rifle Basics trigger. Smithed by me.

Shooting Berger 185VLD's in front of 96 grains of Reloader 25 and Fed 215M primers gives a mv of 3382 fps.

Rifle is a TC Encore, Barrel and Stock set is Bullberry .50 Muzzle loader 28 twist 26" full bull, 11 degree crown. Scope is a Burris Black Diamond 4-16X50. Burly Black Walnut 4X stock set.

Shoots 200 grain Hornady .40 XTP's in front of IMR 4198 into less than 3" at 300yds.

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That Vangaurd is pretty sweet. I have been thinking of the feasability of using it for longer magnums. Nice work.

Curtis

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Thanks Curtis, I forgot to add that I had removed .125" from the back of the magazine port of the action. I did this so I could load the longer Berger bullets seated closer the lands but the rifle likes 'em seated short enough that I probably didn't need too. I've been told that the 300WBY action is a little different than say the 300WIN action. I haven't smithed on any of the others so I don't know.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post

My 308 SPSS top and 700 Varmint Special in 6mm Rem.

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post